The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

my car bogs around 6k rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderfan

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2010
baton rouge, Louisiana
i can redline my car fine if i dont give it full throttle, but but if i floor the gas pedal i kind of bogs or for lack of a better term farts. am i underboost or under fuel. i have stock fuel system and since my car is not tuned, i removed the boost controller when i got my new 16g installed. so i ran a straight line at the lowest boost possible (from the j pipe to the wastegate actuator)

oh and my bov is also set up at the softest

any keys or advice? thanks

UPDATED

Last edited:
my fpr is stock and also the fuel pump, you think it could be under fueled?

but what about boost and gastegate? it red line fine and fast when i floored with

my old stock t25, would the 16g need more fuel to redline that quick when i

floor it?

thanks again

Sounds like it's starving for fuel. When it "cuts out" does it sputter or just total loss of power at wide open throttle. I would reccomend going and getting a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and then get back.

First off, fill out your profile, we need to know what mods you all have..So it makes it easier to diagnose you problems..What kind of boost are you hitting at 6k WOT? Are you getting much creep? Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge, or are you still relaying on the stock POS gauge?

yes, thats what it does IT SPUTTERS, by a fuel pressure gauge, do you mean a

FPR? or just a gauge. please elaborate a bit better since im not all that

mchanicaly inclined or technical. i learn as i go and think i can handle most bolt

ons but thats about it.

yes, thats what it does IT SPUTTERS, by a fuel pressure gauge, do you mean a

FPR? or just a gauge. please elaborate a bit better since im not all that

mchanicaly inclined or technical. i learn as i go and think i can handle most bolt

ons but thats about it.

A fuel pressure gauge is not the fuel pressure regulator(fpr)..The gauge connects to the end of the rail and measures the actual fuel pressure at the rail..Which will diagnose if the fuel pump is sufficiantly pumping fuel..

sorry, my mod details were in my profile but are not longer there let me update that but here is a short list

engine rebuilt with wiesco pistons, all cometic gaskets, studs and bolts, FMIC,

small 16 g and all greddy exhaust and BOV. i hit about 9 or 10 psi at 6 k, i have

a boost gauge but removed boost controller to keep it safe because is not tuned

im not getting much of lag or creep

A fuel pressure gauge is not the fuel pressure regulator(fpr)..The gauge connects to the end of the rail and measures the actual fuel pressure at the rail..Which will diagnose if the fuel pump is sufficiantly pumping fuel..

all right i will look into that. what should the gauge say and when?

could my fuel pump still be ok and could still be having this problem?

sorry, my mod details were in my profile but are not longer there let me update that but here is a short list

engine rebuilt with wiesco pistons, all cometic gaskets, studs and bolts, FMIC,

small 16 g and all greddy exhaust and BOV. i hit about 9 or 10 psi at 6 k, i have

a boost gauge but removed boost controller to keep it safe because is not tuned

im not getting much of lag or creep

So your only seeing 9 or 10 psi, on a small 16 g withought any creep at all? What size is the greddy exhaust?
Couple things you might want to check, fuel pressure, blt(boost leak test), and make sure all your exhaust gaskets are there.

3 inches all the way exhaust. thanks for the intel, i would check that next chance i get. could turning my boost a bit higher fix this? someone told me that but i didnt think so.

3 inches all the way exhaust. thanks for the intel, i would check that next chance i get. could turning my boost a bit higher fix this? someone told me that but i didnt think so.

3 inches with no creep makes me think you have a boost leak.You should be around 12 psi on a 16g..

3 inches with no creep makes me think you have a boost leak.You should be around 12 psi on a 16g..

i'll do another test drive tmw and get back with you

thanks

i'll do another test drive tmw and get back with you

thanks

if i do notice some creep. then i should check at the fuel? im OCD in the sense

that i want all my stuff to run perfect and RIGHT NOW!!!!! :hellyeah:

thats why i want to have some scenarios in hand for when i perform my next

test drive. of course like most dsmers: money is low and time is tight but i"ll get

to it

if my stock fuel system enough?

Let us know how it goes! To check what the fuel pressure should be, look either online or in a haynes/chiltons manual.

With what you are running your next mod should be a logger of some sort we need to see what is going on with the car at WOT.. With that said i agree there could possibly be a boost leak.

Jesse

thanks you all. got home pretty late and didnt get a chance to inspect but will report when i do, stay tuned

finally today i was able to do another test drive and find put that my boost was in fact creeping (i was under the impression that boost creep was a loss of boost so sorry about earlier)

at WOT and in 2nd gear my car sputters at 6k and boost all the way to about 18
psi and then sputters.

and in 3rd gear at WOT does the same thing at 5k

the only thing that i remember is that when i installed the 16g i kept the metal ring sleeve looking spacer between the 2g intake manyfold and the turbo (stock t25)

was i supoused to remove that when going to the 16g?

My problem was plugs and wires. If you recently replaced them ofcourse nevermind but i have had that symptom with a bad plug wire, improperly gapped plugs, alternator belt not tight and ofcourse hitting the limits of the fuel system.

it ended up being 2 big boost leaks. money is tight now. the car redlines fine and quick so im goin to just leave like that for a while and focus on a paint job

I'm having the same problem with my 97 gst it passes almost 6k rpms sometimes and then spudders. sort of like a pop and black smoke comes out of my exaust. even when i take off at a normal speed and not mashing my car like studders and sometimes the boost goes up and my car feel like its not going anywere. any help guys? id appreciate it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back