The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My battery relocation project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good stuff, just ordered the amp kit for the battery relocation. It'll be here Sunday so fun times ahead

Do you have a diagram you’re following? I’m trying to do this on a 1g for the same reason, my new set up left me with no room for the battery unless i get a smaller one and drop it down lower in the bay. From all my research every diagram I have found doesn’t include the shut off switch

Great write up and great updates along the way! I can't tell you how many times I'll be reading something and be left hanging because author didn't finish it and never updated on progress. Thank you and I look forward to starting my relocation this weekend with the help of your article.

Do you have a diagram you’re following? I’m trying to do this on a 1g for the same reason, my new set up left me with no room for the battery unless i get a smaller one and drop it down lower in the bay. From all my research every diagram I have found doesn’t include the shut off switch

I had one but probably have to draw one up. You still needing this? Sorry, just noticed your reply.

I don't want to hijack your thread, nor do I mean to say you did anything wrong here, as I'm sure it's totally functional. I really like how you fit the battery down in the tire well, that's brilliant. I would like to point out that there are a few things that could be changed or improved upon:

1. You don't need to run two positive cables to the front. A large gauge wire to the starter will suffice. The alternator can then be fed off the starter, and anything else that needs direct battery power can be fed off the alternator.
2. You may want to consider using circuit breakers instead of fuses for your circuit protection. Usually a wire repair is easier than finding a fuse if something does happen. Something like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
3. Grounding the batter to the chassis is totally fine, but you may experience a voltage drop or offset doing it this way. Running a negative cable to the engine block ensures minimal voltage drop across all circuits. You can totally do both if you wish.
4. If you do need a power distribution block up front, there are several cool products out now that are weather proof and don't rely on screw tension on stranded wire. The simplest is just an isolated power stud:
https://mgispeedware.com/product/stud-junction-block/
Or if you need something for lower amperage there are things like these:
http://sealedbussbar.com/Product-Info.php

I do a lot of wiring, and I've experienced a lot of weird issues and such over the years. Hopefully this helps people that are tackling this for the first time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back