The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G my axle snapped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0GuitarKid0o

Proven Member
Dec 12, 2013
Winnipeg ,MB, MB_Canada
We'll I've had a great day

I was making a slow left turn and my axel literally snapped by the wheel bearing

I just bought a brand new axel for 172$ Of Overpriced metal and I should have replaced the right axel when I did my front suspension but of course I said no and it's biting me now I guess

Anyone know why it happened
In the first place? My laser is stranded in a parking lot
Looks like an original axel tbh

Any tips on replacing it? I've replaced my entire front suspension excluding the axel that broke so ive done this before

Here's a picture of the damage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 94
The only difficulty I can see you having is removing the castle nut off the axle shaft or popping the axle out of the tranny. Is the car modified and was it that way before you bought it?

Unbolt the axle nut, if it's awd remove the bracket thats ib the way it's like 5 bolts, Sna axle out of trans, then pull until shaft is outside of tranny, then hammer with a rubber mallet the side where the castle nut was and done. I'd replace the axle seal as well. I know from expeirence, 2 days later after new axle, all my tranny fluid leaked out of the seal. It's like 10 bucks you can get them from orielly/napa/pepboys not sure about auto zone. I can find the part number if you want

EDIT: Just realized yoy have an auto, that seal is for a manual, I have no idea if the seals are same or not.
Skf part numver is 14006, they're around 10 bucks, 5 online if you want to leave your car in a random lot for few days. I also used a 32mm socket and half inch breaker bar to press the seal in, make sure you have some tranny fluid on it for easier install

EDIT: Just realized yoy have an auto, that seal is for a manual, I have no idea if the seals are same or not.
Skf part numver is 14006, they're around 10 bucks, 5 online if you want to leave your car in a random lot for few days. I also used a 32mm socket and half inch breaker bar to press the seal in, make sure you have some tranny fluid on it for easier install

Yeah I know I'm gonna find one asap

It's a 1991 plymouth laser rs turbo f4a33-1 transmission (fwd turbo trans)
It's stockish because The car is a turbo -non turbo swap butthat doesn't really matter LOL

Any one know how much fluid comes out when the axels removed from the transmission
It's on the passenger side

The only difficulty I can see you having is removing the castle nut off the axle shaft or popping the axle out of the tranny. Is the car modified and was it that way before you bought it?

I was thinking I would crack it on the ground after removing the cotter pin than jack it up

And my new axel has no cotter pin ,
not even a hole in it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 68
Yeah I know I'm gonna find one asap

It's a 1991 plymouth laser rs turbo f4a33-1 transmission (fwd turbo trans)
It's stockish because The car is a turbo -non turbo swap butthat doesn't really matter LOL

Any one know how much fluid comes out when the axels removed from the transmission
It's on the passenger side

I was thinking I would crack it on the ground after removing the cotter pin than jack it up

And my new axel has no cotter pin ,
not even a hole in it
Can you post pics of new axle, my awd front axles at orielly were 65 each. I'm sure they have a fwd one too, I would return it if it has no cotter pin hole. Call a few stores and just see if they can get the seals
Alsohttp://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_dsm_front_axle_seals_fwd.htm

Think I'm just going to replace it as fast as I can in the Parkin lot

Anyone know if fluid spills out a lot? I have a my manual in my car

Anyone need a slightly used passenger side axle? Gently used ( pic below ) LOL

But we ended up fixing it in the parking lot behind a Canadian tire LOL

The transmission side of the axle was stuck due to the c-clip, so we attached vice grips to the cup and made a homemade slammer hammer to pull it out
I must have sat there for an hour trying to pry the axel out with literally 10 different bars.

To awnser my own qustion when my car was propped up a foot it only lost just under a litre of transmission fluid (atf-4) when removing my axel so you don't need to drain the entire transmission

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 72
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back