The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

My Archer Brothers Racing SCCA World Challenge Championship Winning Eagle Talons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin, I did find out that they were experimenting with several can options back then and that Comptech did relative tuning via EPROM ECU's back then. Three extra ECUs came with the NA car, one EPROM, however it is not socketed, and if they were soldering every time they made adjustments, they did a damn good job...
CAM OPTIONS

So, it's been a while. I still have the Archer cars. I ran the #32 Turbo car last season and competed in two time trial competitions, placing first in class in both.
Come to find out the car still had braking issues. The master cylinder was leaking. After the Wilwood front upgrade, and replacement of the rear calipers, the car had a decent pedal cold, but once on track and warm, I would still have to pump the pedal. Finally, it blew and fluid was dripping on the ground. End of that track day. Now, the master has been replaced. I should finally have 100% braking in the car which should produce much better results as my confidence in the car should go up. I love this car, but, it has been an uphill battle to bring it back toward its max potential. Having to pump the pedal 3-4 times at the end of a straight isn't confidence inspiring.
I'll hit a few track days this year and we'll see how it goes. I'd have posted pics here but they are all too large to upload and finding the time to get on a computer and resize anything I want to post is something I will have to find time for. I don't know why this site can't just convert like ebay.

Just curious, what part no is the FCON? HKS doesnt list one for a DSM, only a conquest. I wasnt sure how similar the conquest ECU was overseas, I know they had the 4g63 though.
I'd actually have to get a look at it. However it is a 25 year old piece and is more than likely discontinued.

I'd actually have to get a look at it. However it is a 25 year old piece and is more than likely discontinued.
Ah, well i'm pretty sure you're probably right about that, I was just curious as to which one they actually used, because the ones listed on their page, all of which appear to be discontinued as well, dont seem to correspond with a DOHC 4g63, only the SOHC. Not sure how different the engine management system was between the two.

Ah, well i'm pretty sure you're probably right about that, I was just curious as to which one they actually used, because the ones listed on their page, all of which appear to be discontinued as well, dont seem to correspond with a DOHC 4g63, only the SOHC. Not sure how different the engine management system was between the two.
I'll be getting the car ready for the track the first week of April. I'll give it a look then....

Stock chip still in that ecu?
It's a non-eprom ECU so yes. This car probably doesn't make alot of power. My Laser RST with MAF mods, filter, 17psi, hollow cat and freer flowing muffler on stock exhaust piping, manifold, O2 etc. dynoed just under 210 whp and made about 234 TQ. This car runs at 15 psi with basically similar mods. So I'd imagine this car makes in that range for power.

Awesome. Any videos against the competition?
I have several. GoPro stuff. However, I don't have a YouTube acct. and don't know much about editing vids at all. Life is so busy I just never take the time to do this. I hope to have it in place this season.

I had a good run with this Kelly American Challenge Mustang from the early 80's. I'll just say at the end of the day he wasn't as happy as I was :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-31-21-40-25.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-31-21-40-25.png
    360.4 KB · Views: 260
I feel pretty blessed that I've gotten to see all of Phil's Talons, his Archer Daytona, and all his DSM and Archer memorabilia as of late. It's quite a sight to see all his cool stuff and don't even get me started on his parts dept... I mean his basement. We're great friends and have known each other 20 years come this summer.

Just binge-read this thread. For sure interesting and inspiring for me, thanks Phil!

Yea, it is a very awesome thread to read. Dragin, I consider you a lucky person to see all the history he has, I stare at the pics he post, I could imagine seeing then in person.

All I can say is wow .... and I thought I was a little crazy when I had the chance to grab Early production Widebody Starion GSR-VR number 15, it was sent to a Ohio dealer that was into SCCA racing .... I jumped all over it, still have it today in a garage waiting for me to retire and have a final build date.

I will be watching this thread for sure

Brrrrrrrrr. I don't like winter:D

Just a quick update on the cars:

#34's final pieces of livery are being worked on currently...

... and I found out that the normally aspirated cars did compete with the Borla 4 into 1 longtube headers installed. Currently the car has the stock cast iron manifold and downpipe. So, somewhere along the line, or more likely before it left the Archers', the header was removed and stock parts installed. It appears untouched actually with heatshields and all brakets/bolts in place. Luckily, about 7 years ago I wanted to build an NA car and had bought one of the Borla headers. Needless to say, that will make it's way onto the car this year. As I've stated elsewhere, the car doesn't seem to pull like a 160-180 HP car that weighs 2250 or so lbs. I'm sure this will help in the upper revs. I also found out that they did run several different cam profiles in these cars, also helping to generate the HP figures the were publicized...however the highest I've ever read was 160. But, if your competition reads magazines, I don't think you'd be 100% honest either.....ha, I know I wouldn't. More on the cams later. Anyway, the end result is that the SCCA forced the Archers' to remove the cams. I'm not sure which Round during the season that happend, however what it means is that most likely #34 has stock cams back in. The first time I ever started the car, it seemed like it might have had a mild set of cams, however I think it was purely me not being used to the burble of an NA fourbanger.

#32 Thrifty Rental got a 12.2" Wilwood front brake set up installed for 2014. It's all in place, just needs to be bled. I will try to reinstall the cooling ducts with new material as that can only help. The only other thing on the plate for this car is a full race slick.

I've taken some pictures and will upload soon.

I wonder if the #34 uses a JDM engine/ECM since they have 10.4:1 cr. The #34 may have use HKS cams since their were the cams to use back in those times in the US.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't have much info. about this , but thought Phil might be interested to see two of his cars racing at Dover Raceway in Jamaica back in 1991.
Wow! I love it! Not sure if it was you, but, someone had given me information on whom to contact about the Archers involvement in this race. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to do that. Pretty sure this is late 1990, and my car is #32 on the right in the pic, before it got the white paint like the #33 up front. #33, Tommy Archer, won the race....

I'd love to order this pic. Do you have a link to the site where you found it?

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if the #34 uses a JDM engine/ECM since they have 10.4:1 cr. The #34 may have use HKS cams since their were the cams to use back in those times in the US.
Well, they might have tried HKS, but they used another company that made several different grinds, then they paired that with some ecu tweaks. However, in the end, the SCCA stripped the cams from the Archer Brothers. I can look at the ECU's that came with the car. By SCCA rules, they were allowed 1 point of compression over stock, which was 9.0:1 in the US. So, compression should be 10.0:1 in these engines. The engines were built my Comptech in California, of Honda fame.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back