The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G My 97' Eclipse GS has a 4g63, can I turbo it? Plus other questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olejakadudu

Proven Member
Nov 10, 2022
Porto, Portugal, Europe
Hi, I am new to this community as I have recently (about two months ago) bought my first car ever, a 97 Eclipse GS.
After some research I got the idea that the GS version was 420a, but mine is clearly a 4g63 (I guess, pics attached). I am from Portugal and I couldn't find much info on dsms, as they are not very common here.

So... I have a few questions:

-Can I just slap a turbo on this 4g63 or is there the possibility that it isn't prepared to have a turbo. Also, does this engine have the same potential as the evo 8?
-Is it possible to remove the rear windshield without breaking it? Mine has some minor rust around it and the seal rubber started leaking water. The previous owner didn't treat it and the trunk got kinda rusty. Went to a mechanic and he told me that they would have to break the glass in order to treat the rust around it and seal it properly.
-Sometimes the check engine light shows for a few seconds when my rpms are constant for a while or when I am going up a really steep slope. However, when I push the gas and my rpms go up by 1000 or smth for a few seconds, the light goes off. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The mechanic said it could be the butterfly sensor, but didn't really know.

Thanks in advance. =)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can't just slap a turbo on it. You'd need a lot more than that. Turbo size injectors, different pistons to lower compression, the pcm has to be tuned, you may need a different maf as the non turbo one may not be able to register how much air is flowing thru it. I'm sure there are several things i'm missing but it unfortunately is not just a bolt on affair.

If you do change the pistons out to lower compression for turbo sell me the high compression ones you take out! I've been trying to find euro spec 4g63 N/A pistons for years!

You can't just slap a turbo on it. You'd need a lot more than that. Turbo size injectors, different pistons to lower compression, the pcm has to be tuned, you may need a different maf as the non turbo one may not be able to register how much air is flowing thru it. I'm sure there are several things i'm missing but it unfortunately is not just a bolt on affair.

If you do change the pistons out to lower compression for turbo sell me the high compression ones you take out! I've been trying to find euro spec 4g63 N/A pistons for years!
Thanks!
Sure, I'll let you know!

It is largely a bolt on affair compared to turbocharging the USDM 420A version of the NA car. I think it would be easier to buy a turbo engine from Asia and swap but you could build one from the EU NA 4G63 and OEM parts from the turbo cars.

If it says anything I threw boost at the na variant of the 6 bolt 4g63 in a 1g for several seasons and several thousand miles. Depending on fuel used, tuning, and current condition of things, in todays age I wouldn’t hesitate to throw boost at non turbo 4g63 pistons. Last time my car was on the dyno it made 454 on 93 octane pump gas, failure was due to the seal on the oil filter blowing mid pull, pistons still look good. I had seen over 400 for 3 years prior to that on e85, had every intention of going back to the dyno on e85 on that set up but didn’t make it, my new engine also has non turbo pistons.

I don’t know what the compression ratio is or how the EU non turbo 2g 4g63 pistons compare to the 1g non turbo pistons but I’d be willing to bet they’re about the same. If stock turbo pistons would be hard to obtain in your country and you have e85 available I wouldn’t hesitate to throw boost at it with the proper support given it’s currently healthy and how hard you want to push it.

If it says anything I threw boost at the na variant of the 6 bolt 4g63 in a 1g for several seasons and several thousand miles. Depending on fuel used, tuning, and current condition of things, in todays age I wouldn’t hesitate to throw boost at non turbo 4g63 pistons. Last time my car was on the dyno it made 454 on 93 octane pump gas, failure was due to the seal on the oil filter blowing mid pull, pistons still look good. I had seen over 400 for 3 years prior to that on e85, had every intention of going back to the dyno on e85 on that set up but didn’t make it, my new engine also has non turbo pistons.

I don’t know what the compression ratio is or how the EU non turbo 2g 4g63 pistons compare to the 1g non turbo pistons but I’d be willing to bet they’re about the same. If stock turbo pistons would be hard to obtain in your country and you have e85 available I wouldn’t hesitate to throw boost at it with the proper support given it’s currently healthy and how hard you want to push it.

Pretty sure the NA 4G63's in the EU spec 2G's are 10:1. They may not take as well to boost as the 9:1 n/t pistons from the 6 bolts. Not sure what kind of fuel they have in Portugal and if they have E85 or high octane like Japan has or not.

Also: That is an extremely nice overflow tank for the coolant. I'd love to know where it came from because it looks nice.

Pretty sure the NA 4G63's in the EU spec 2G's are 10:1. They may not take as well to boost as the 9:1 n/t pistons from the 6 bolts. Not sure what kind of fuel they have in Portugal and if they have E85 or high octane like Japan has or not.

Also: That is an extremely nice overflow tank for the coolant. I'd love to know where it came from because it looks nice.
I feel like I’ve read that before, though if e85 was on the table I still wouldn’t worry too much. Pump gas would be another story, especially with a stock ecu from a turbo car. It’d run it fine, but I’d bet knock would be a hard fight. I will say when I had just an safc and 560cc injectors with the stock 1g turbo ecu knock was unavoidable once the boost was turned up with straight pump gas as the factory timing curve was too aggressive for the 9:1 compression 1g non turbo pistons. With that being said I had to use a gallon of 110 octane race gas to every 4 gallons of 93 octane. Of course that wasn’t an issue once ECMlink came into the picture and I had full control of timing, but still a slight inconvenience before. I will say at 12lbs creeping to 14 on the 16g with a stock turbo ecu and 450cc injectors it ran like a factory turbo 1g with a 16g bolted on, 9:1 pistons and non turbo cams, differences in airflow weren’t great enough to make a difference there. Once the 560s, SAFC, and 22lbs was a factor was where fighting knock was much more prevalent with the 9:1 nt pistons vs the 7.8:1 turbo 1g pistons or 8.3:1 2g pistons.

I feel like I’ve read that before, though if e85 was on the table I still wouldn’t worry too much. Pump gas would be another story, especially with a stock ecu from a turbo car. It’d run it fine, but I’d bet knock would be a hard fight. I will say when I had just an safc and 560cc injectors with the stock 1g turbo ecu knock was unavoidable once the boost was turned up with straight pump gas as the factory timing curve was too aggressive for the 9:1 compression 1g non turbo pistons. With that being said I had to use a gallon of 110 octane race gas to every 4 gallons of 93 octane. Of course that wasn’t an issue once ECMlink came into the picture and I had full control of timing, but still a slight inconvenience before. I will say at 12lbs creeping to 14 on the 16g with a stock turbo ecu and 450cc injectors it ran like a factory turbo 1g with a 16g bolted on, 9:1 pistons and non turbo cams, differences in airflow weren’t great enough to make a difference there. Once the 560s, SAFC, and 22lbs was a factor was where fighting knock was much more prevalent with the 9:1 nt pistons vs the 7.8:1 turbo 1g pistons or 8.3:1 2g pistons.

The factory 1g timing maps are hilariously aggressive. You’re honestly right though because the 2G ones are way soft. And there are multiple maps in the stock code not just one or two. So in all actuality he might not be that bad off if he keeps it on wastegate pressure. Throttle response and off boost power would be amazing too.

Thank you all for your feedback and sorry for the delayed answers in my own post. I got blocked from accessing the forum. I don't really know why, so I tried using a VPN and here I am once again.
It is largely a bolt on affair compared to turbocharging the USDM 420A version of the NA car. I think it would be easier to buy a turbo engine from Asia and swap but you could build one from the EU NA 4G63 and OEM parts from the turbo cars.
That's a shame, I'll have to think this through. Are there any websites that you could recommend? I'd like too take a look into some turbo engines.

Yeah, in Portugal we don't have e85. We only have 95 and 98 octane gas. I always fill my tank with the latter. I tried researching which is better, e85 or 98 octane and couldn't get to a conclusion so if you guys know, I am here to learn. =)

As for the overflow tank, I ordered it from aliexpress. I looked into a stock plastic one, but they were only available in the US and it would cost me like 100€ due too shipping and taxes.

Links for the overflow tank: aliexpress; amazon. There are similar ones in many sizes and shapes, you just need to search "aluminium overflow tank". Bear in mind that these tanks are not suited for systems that require a pressurized tank. For that you need an expansion (not overflow) tank that comes with a pressure cap. When I was looking into replacing mine I didn't know that there were different types of tanks, so I am just lending a hand to the folks that also didn't know. Also, I saw a video of a guy complaining about this tanks and warning that they weren't safe. Guess what? His car needed an expansion tank, not an overflow one.

I have the same overflow tank on my 1g, eBay special I paid something like $30. Works great!

So, I have the opportunity to buy an Evo 9 engine with just 19k miles for 3900€ (bet I can push it down by 200 or 300€). Would it be worth it to swap my 4g63 n/a with this evo 9 4g63? I think they sit on opposite sides... Still with all that work would it be worth it? I expect to spend at least 5000€ turbocharging my 99k miles 4g63 n/a...

So, I have the opportunity to buy an Evo 9 engine with just 19k miles for 3900€ (bet I can push it down by 200 or 300€). Would it be worth it to swap my 4g63 n/a with this evo 9 4g63? I think they sit on opposite sides... Still with all that work would it be worth it? I expect to spend at least 5000€ turbocharging my 99k miles 4g63 n/a...
Not in a million years. Even if you had the fabrication skills required the pieces you’d need from a 420a car would be hard to obtain where they didn’t offer 420a cars, you’re much better off working with what you have.

Hi again everyone, hope you are having a great start to 2023!

I come with another question! :D
Is the Outlander 4g63t the same engine as the one in 2g GST/GSX?
I found one here for sale in Portugal but I have my doubts if it will even fit. It looks like it is turned 180º (pic attached for reference).

Also, I already have a list of the parts needed to turbocharge my naturally aspirated 4g63.
Link: Parts needed to supercharge a naturally aspirated 4g63. Feel free to comment / tell me if there's anything wrong in that list. I am no professional and this is was what I've come to after an extensive amateur research ;).

Edit: What about the 4g63t from Galant VR4's? Are they the same as 2g turbo engines? It looks identical externally...

Last edited:
As long as the original OEM voltage regulator is good I'm a firm believer in having a local shop replace the brushes and bearings if needed over a rebuild where they may have used a low quality regulator.

As long as the original OEM voltage regulator is good I'm a firm believer in having a local shop replace the brushes and bearings if needed over a rebuild where they may have used a low quality regulator.
I believe the voltage regulator isn't in that good shape because I get unstable voltage when measuring it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back