The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

My 89 Mitsu Mighty Max 4g63t swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroppedMitsu

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2008
Vacaville, California
I posted most of this from the build I had on another site, so multiple post will be converted into one big one sorry.
Anyways here is my 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Macrocab pickup. Got her for $750 all stock with a blown head gasket, fixed that then the motor blew. Decided to swap in my 6 bolt 4g63t that I had from my previous single cab mitsu pickup that I had already swapped, but decided to get rid of actual truck due to it being in not so nice condition. So here I am, I have been a member on the site for years now since I started my first truck swap.

I already had this engine in my previous truck so most of the major fab work has already been completed.

List of parts needed and/or mods to complete swap that I used to complete swap:
*4g63t and all manifolds/sensors/etc.. from 90-92(preferably) Eclipse/Talon/Laser
*Engine wiring harness, ECU, and MPI Relay from same vehicle
*Shorten/Lengthen engine harness wires as necessary to reach their new position and power/ground the ecu/mpi relay
*KM132 4 or 5 speed manual transmission from late 80's 2.0l Mighty Max/Ram50 with g63b engine
*Motor mounts from 2.0 truck, but fab'd to move engine 1 7/8" forward so CAS and thermostat housing will clear firewall.
*Lengthened driveshaft to go with motor mounts
*Make throttle body flange and weld to front side of intake manifold
*Waterpump from 87-89 g63b 2.0l modified to clear timing components
*Waterpipe from 87-89 g63b modified to accept turbo and throttle body coolant lines
*1.8L eclipse thermostat housing top(aims directly to side instead of angle towards firewall like 2.0dohc top)
*Custom intake and intercooler piping.
There is a few more I will add as I remember them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Apart for new seals and gaskets

You need to grind down the ribs on the truck water pump so that the timing belt pulley will clear it

Ok, here's how I modified the stock truck waterpipe that comes off of the water pump. I had to do this due to the turbo and oil filter housing having coolant lines running to them and me running the truck water pump and waterpipe which do not have these fittings.

Spot added right behind pump for coolant line to oil filter housing.

You can see the second big fitting I welded on(came from stock 2.0l DOHC waterpipe). This goes to the turbo. The aluminum tubing behind the turbo is the outlet(or maybe inlet, can't remember which is which) for the coolant that I made.

Another view of cooling lines to and from turbo.

This pic shows the aluminum tubing(3/8") I made to run coolant to the throttle body like it does stock. I figured this was the best way to get coolant there since the throttle body has been moved to front of engine for RWD purposes.

Another shot of the lines to throttle body

Connecting to throttle body.

My modified motor mounts to move engine 1 7/8"(what I chose to move it) forward

Showing difference of 1.8L cover(parrallel with engine) and 2.0 4g63(pointing towards firewall)

Ready to go in

It's in!

Since I had already done all the wiring troubles on the swap before, I only had to connect these three wires to power my harness/ecu/mpi relay

How she's sitting after the 5-lug swap and new wheels

Well I've been getting everything mounted and connected, etc... All I have to do is get my alternator wiring done and finish the exhaust from the end of the cat to the back and it should be done. Hope to start it by the end of tomorrow and possible drive it too since my driveshaft is supposed to be done also

Got the intercooler in its place so I can retain my A/C. Its size is 27x5.5x2.75. It fits right under the a/c lines and the piping goes right around them. Sticks right through the middle of the bumper so should see plenty of fresh cold air.

Its running and almost driving, should be driving it tomorrow. I still need to reattach my exhaust under the bed and install my driveshaft. I also need to figure out what is causing me to still have a small idle surge, other then that its good to go. Still needs some cleaning up and permanent mounting of some stuff but she's basically done for now.

I'm having some work done on drive shaft still, should be done today. Its running but still has a slight idle surge that I have to figure out, don't think I have any boost leaks but we'll see. I will hopefully have some more pictures tonight. I'm also happy to say that I FINALLY got my palm to sync with my comp after trying hundreds of times a year or so ago, so I can see if any codes are popping up and make sure all is well after I get an ALDL cable.

I love these swaps. :thumb: I can only imagine the surprise on the average person's face when they get a ride in one or hear the bov haha.

Yes, it is definitely a fun vehicle to drive or be driven in. Lack of traction is an issue though of course, but I'll work on that a little later.

Yes it can, called CA B.A.R. and talked to them and asked them specifically if it was legal and he said yes definitely.

video or more pictures yet? how is the wiring?

I'll try to get some pics soon, and hopefully a video. Still waiting on drive shaft, had problems with it do to oversight on my part, should be back tomorrow or the next day then I can drive it. Also need to pull codes, but am waiting on an aldl cable from dsmcables.com.

Wiring wasn't too bad, I didn't have to do it this time because I already redid this wiring harness for my previous single cab. But pretty much just set engine in place, then kinda lay out wiring harness and see what wires for what sensors need to be lengthened or shortened to reach their new orientation. Then you have to run a few wires to power the ecu and mpi relay and also fuel pump.

Well decided to go and try to take some decent pics of my truck today:

Last edited:
Awesome! That's the mightiest mighty max I've ever seen, the might has definitely been maximized.

Nice looking Might Max, only thing I would suggest is relocating the license plate for better air flow to the fmic

Nice! If you had brought That to this years MOD you would have been the only one with one. Keep up the great build man your doing great!:thumb:

Thanks guys, feels good to know that the DSM crowd likes my project. Hoping to get a DSM sometime this year if I don't keep blowing all my money on my truck.

Nice! If you had brought That to this years MOD you would have been the only one with one. Keep up the great build man your doing great!:thumb:

I would have loved to do that but I just got this thing driving fully. I would definitely like to go to one next time, when's the date and where is it at?

I kept the balance shafts because I'm not going for huge power or anything and I didn't want any unnecessary vibrations or the like. Who knows I might do it a little later down the road. I just wanted to worry about getting an all stock 4g63t in first and then after I get all the bugs and get it ref'd by BAR then I'll worry about modifying/changing stuff.

Very nice! They should do a swap like that in Project Car mag. I have a 77 Chevy Luv that I'm going to try to swap with a S-10 vortech V6. Right now I'm almost done rebuilding my Talon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96DSM, if you ever do the swap post up a build thread I'd love to see it. I like any kind of auto customization/swapping

I love swaps as well. we did a swap with a Isuzu PUP and a 1976 Ford 150 5.0 302CI v-8. Also did a swap with a 1974 datson 260Z and a 400CI small block chevy with 13:1 compression. OMG we built it all wrong (teenagers bored...) but it was a beast when it ran HAHA

Not that there's anything wrong with the way it looks now because I like it a lot, but have you ever thought about painting the front bumper to match the rest of the truck? I feel like it might look a little cleaner that way.

Oh yes definitely, it is still going to get a lot of stuff done to it. The body and everything else besides the engine and wheels is bone stock, doesn't look like it in the pics but the bed and such needs some work. I just got this truck about 7-8 months ago and have mainly been putting money into getting the engine in and wheels on. It will be going way lower, getting shaved and body worked/painted, and plenty more. I'll be updating this thread and every other one I have every step of the way, although it wont be happening too quickly.

I been thinking of making my 2g eclipse rwd for a few years now. And after extensive research and brainstorm, I've decided to give it a go. Si I've shifted my current 2G project to a RWD street/track eclipse.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back