The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

My $50 paint job pictures.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking good with the white. Make it a panda

Here's mine:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

3 coats, no sanding in between

^ That looks fantastic, man! What kind of paint are you using? No sanding too!!! You're rolling it on, right? Unbelievable.

How will the wheels hold up? I talked to one guy who didn't take the tires off and he had them flaking within a week.

It's been a while since I posted anything about my paint. Here is a little something I did tonight. Again I am spraying the 9 dollar a can rustoleum paint and this time against the advice of a few on here I sprayed semi gloss black. I personally think it's easier to paint because it's easier to see. To the red galant that looks so good, come finish mine for me panda style.

Taking care of some plastic work for my friend James. I'll post the rest when they are done. this is satin (semi gloss) black once dry it is less glossy.

Rustoleum enamel based spray paints, if you take your time with them and do a few thick layers they can come out very nice.

...just don't keep them in the sun all the time or you'll be visiting "Oxidize Avenue" in "Fade City" in a year. And, if you're gonna clearcoat that object, youi'll have to stick with enamel based clearcoat sprays, for the acrylic/lacquer based clearcoats will eat through that enamel.

Little tips from experiences in the past to share ...

Good luck - DSM

^ Thanks for the advice, I will probably put a few coats of wax over it just as a precaution. here's a couple more.
Close up of the front piece.

This is after wet sanding with 600 and respray.

Looks good for what your using and being so cheap! I hope it lasts for you but if I did all that sanding....Yeah you know already. Still inventive and resourceful good qualities.
What kind of sprayer are you using?
I knew a guy that used one of those wagner electric sprayers to paint a vehicle once but he used automotive paint. Turned out really good. The key was how it was mixed with the thinner.

the gun is a 60 dollar gravity feed from lowes forget the name i'll post it up when I put up more pictures.

well here's 3 of them all done and pretty. I only have 2 left 1 of the 2 is drying now. My car is getting the semi gloss black treatment next.

i totally did the same.. i had money on a sears gift card so sears paid for my paint job....

the paint on the plastics and tank only cost about 9 dollars and I still have a half a can left. bikes are so much easier and cheaper.

About 7 coats is what the professionals use on show cars. (I'm a body tech apprentice for a guy whose been doing show cars for 40 years). Main thing is 2-3 coats of primer, and for the best result, let the primer sit no less than 6 weeks, it will shrink into all sanding cracks and rock chips and the like, then add one more coat of prime or guide, then paint it, 3-4 coats, then 2-3 coats of clear finish.

^That is a lot of work, more than I'm going to bother with for my project. It turned out pretty nice and I just used a coat or 2 of rattle can primer.

thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back