The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

My 2g Chassis Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can't wait to read the next update. That said, whenever you get this thing finished, would you mind posting up the matierals used and total cost of the build?

Sure thing man, so far with just the chassis Im around 1500 In materials which is not too bad. But what gets bad is each corner of the front end costing about 2,000$ just for suspension and brakes. Im going to estimate around 20k in the end...

Well after carrying all 120-130 pounds of the car into the big part of the shop its about ready to begin. All 114 feet of chromoly is now at my house as well. Once I play with bendtech a little and get things right the games begin! I also believe there is another 10 lbs to come off still.... Its already so light I may end up adding weight to beable to run by NHRA guidlines of a 1800 lb with driver at the end of the run....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I read on an old NHRA rule book once, the roll cage welds has to be done by a certified chassis builder... Not hating your skils and the project, 2 thumbs up to you man, you got talent.. remember to read the rulebook from the fist page to the last.. It would suck to put lots of money into building a race car and when taking it for inspection of the NHRA oficials for the roll cage and chassis not having it certified cause of a misunderstanding on your part. I've seen it happened with my own eyes...

Actually I was mistaken.. I still have the 2007 NHRA rulebook, and it doesn't say whether or not the fabricator needs to be certified, but it states you need to contact NHRA before the fabrication starts and they need to be aware of all the fabrication process and steps, hopefully you did contact them before starting so you won't come up with any troubles having the chassis certified. hopefully the fabricator who is helping you really knows his stuff...

You do not have to contact NHRA. Its an SFI chassis. The chassis will be inspected by an inspector from SFI. The rest of the car will be inspected by NHRA. As far as welding goes you have to follow "basic tig welding practices". No cert is required.

depends of the NHRA category you going to compete. page 71 of the 2007 NHRA rule book "New vehicle construction: Prior to construction of any Pro RWD vehicles (regardless of whether or not body type has already been eccepted), competitor must contact NHRA and establish communication between competitor, chassis builder, and NHRA. NHRA will work directly with chassis builder to determine what, if any, changes are permitted from stock dimensions. NHRA will require photos during fabrication process; i.e., plug, mold, finished body. In the event that NHRA must make an on-site appearance for body approval, all travel expenses must be paid by competitor."

Well here is the update many of you have been waiting for! The build has started. I feel I got lots done in a 1 day period of time, just does not seem like it.... Here are some pictures.

Alright little update here. A little over a week in and its almost time to lift the body and finish welding the cage to the rear! Here are some pictures.

Wow...just wow. This thing is going to be SWEET!

Just want to say thanks for sharing.:thumb: Very cool project and seems to be coming together very nicely. Great work!:)

Well for the most part the 2g chassis are rusting away all on there own. Looks good man, keep up the good work.

I would like to see some more pics of the back end tube work.

As far as chassis certification like said above you need to fallow standard TIG welding processes when welding Chrome Moly. And all the certifications need to go threw NHRA or IHRA rules on what is safe. SFI just provides the guide lines on how do build the chassis. Then you need to talk with your local chassis inspector on what needs to be done to be legal to race the class/speed you want to.

The main goal of the chassis is to save the driver in a worst case crash.

~John

Thanks everyone! This really is coming along lots faster than I had ever expected. Roughly 8 days of work put into it thus far. It feels really good to know that I did not go out and buy a chassis kit and just piece it together. This one has hours upon hours of designing involved. Hopefully it sees shootout 2012, the way things are going I do not have a doubt that it will make it!

Little update. The body is lifted off of the chassis and its looking great! Finishing up on a bunch of welding then ill be adding more to the cage.

wow i am impressed! Keep up the awesome progress. I think brent rau and magnus may be pissed to someone sneaking up on them. LOL I'm thinking when your done with this I may find an 89 CRX to send your way to completly hack apart and build a simple chassis for it to except an awd 4g63 platform. Can we say street legal awd go-cart?

wow i am impressed! Keep up the awesome progress. I think brent rau and magnus may be pissed to someone sneaking up on them. LOL I'm thinking when your done with this I may find an 89 CRX to send your way to completly hack apart and build a simple chassis for it to except an awd 4g63 platform. Can we say street legal awd go-cart?

If only I could have figured out how to put the 4G63T in my Fiero and made it AWD while keeping it mid engine.... I would give you a run for your money.:D

I find it very comical that you bring up a CRX... Its in my thoughts to purchase a CRX shell next year and fully tube it. AWD and of course 4g63.

I've seen a 4g63 fiero before. Only a video on youtube. I dont know what would be involved to make a mid engine awd car though. Drivetrain would be wayyy backwards... but it would be awesome. I've had this crx idea in my head for a few inches. even had a crx in my shop for an inspection one day and i measured the wheelbase out of curiousity. I think it was 93.25 long from hub to hub. Might be able to get away with a 1 piece driveshaft. LOL

dsmornothing- build it and keep the motor simple and nothing to radical and i'll keep saving my money to buy it off of you when ## done! I plan on street driving it daily and putting a hurting on the local honda community.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back