The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

my 1st build help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexicantrain

Probationary Member
May 19, 2009
boston, Massachusetts
hey there guys,
after i do general matainence including belts water pump cleaning the intercooler, and flushing the radiator, i was planning to do a mild turbo upgrade. i was wondering if you can find any holes in my plan. i was thinking of a 14b w/install kit or a used regular .t-28.

heres what i have already equipped on the car: 2100lb clutch, resurfaced flywheel, external oil cooler, hallman mbc @15psi, auto meter boost gauge, k&n fipk, rre uicp with 1g crushed bov, and a custom 2.5 inch exhaust from the first o2 housing back with test pipe.

i was planning on port matching the o2 elbow to match the 2.5 inch exhaust, buying a 190 lph pump, rewiring it, and adding an adjustable fpr. I was going to buy a datalogger and try to have it run smooth on 93 octane at around 17-18 psi.
If you there is any part that im missing or any general comments, please feel free to post, it will be greatly appriecated. thanks

Everything sounds pretty good for a "mild upgrade" as you called it hehe. Switching over to TD-05 will require at least a larger SMIC unless you plan on water/methanol injection. Obviously, a large FMIC will work fine too if you're willing to tweak your cooling setup. Also, 550cc+ injectors wouldn't hurt either.

IMO, the T-28 is a nice stealthy turbo. Let us know what you decide on doing w/ updates!

Seems to me like you are on a good path for a fun street car. Make sure you pick up that logger before going to far with the boost or any kind of turbo upgrade.

hey there guys,
buying a 190 lph pump, rewiring it, and adding an adjustable fpr. I was going to buy a datalogger and try to have it run smooth on 93 octane at around 17-18 psi. e
If you there is any part that im missing or any general comments, please feel free to post, it will be greatly appriecated. thanks

your not goin to need a Adjustable regulator with that pump. save your money for somthing elese, they are expensive. Also let us know your power goals are. I assum your looking to also save hastle with a unaccurate TUNING device, since different HP ranges will call for different devices

*just so you kno a 255lph pump is good for 500hp+ so if you dont plan on goin up past 400hp i would stay with the 190 the stock reg is fine for it, although Road Race Engineering dosent use fuel pressure regulators :confused:WTF even with 255, after confirming with a tech :D

my power goals are very modest i am looking for 220-260 awhp, i dont want a big power car at all. i live in the city and am interested in auto-cross, so a quick spooling car with some modest punch is all i am looking for.

They say that you will need inj for 17-18 psi. Road Race Engineering's Eclipse Fuel Delivery Upgrades

I would get an Evo 16g so you have room down the road, and the spool-up rpm is fairly close. Boost is addictive and you always want more... most of us just can't seem to stop feeding the addiction. So 220-260 is good for now, but in a year it won't feel as fast anymore. And your passengers will look at you like you're crazy when you tell them it just doesn't feel as fast as it used to.

Edit: Oh yeah, I ran my 14b to about 20 psi on the 1g stock SMIC without knock issues on a 1g timing curve with 9:1 CR...that wasn't during the summer and I don't know how small the 2g SMIC is.

your not goin to need a Adjustable regulator with that pump. save your money for somthing elese, they are expensive.
I strongly disagree. Stock FPR's are known to go out with age and can easily be overrun with even a hot/rewired fuel pump; this happened to me before I upgraded my fuel system. The best way for him to be certain that his current FPR is functional is by using a datalogger to check his fuel trims for any pegged down numbers.

I'd like to add that the cost of an AFPR setup varies depending on what manufacturer/brand you go with just like anything else. Case in point, my AEM AFPR w/ underhood fuel rail pressure gauge costed ~$120 w/ self-installation. It's a great upgrade and investment regardless of how far he plans on going and what he has attained thus far; similar to buying a wideband o2. One of the biggest benefits would be having the ability to increase fuel pressure to get the most out of the injectors.

There's no doubt that people have successfully modified and advanced without one. The same can be said for those who VTA on stock draw-thru setup.

so should i buy a logger and wideband o2, or should i jus get dsmlink? from what i understand dsmlink is a reprogramable ecu? that seems like you would be ale talior your tuning to whatever you want
with the dsmlink.

your correct but you will need to send off your ecu you have a 95 so you should have an eprom ecu which is needed for link. if i was in your shoes id go with link and a wideband then you wont have to worry about your tuning software

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back