The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My 1990 eagle talon tsi build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an orange crayon

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2012
missoula, Montana
So the story of how i got this car.... been looking on craiglist forever for and awd dsm cause i have a 90 eclipse gs already and only thing better is to get and awd turbo'd dsm i found one a 1990 eagle talon tsi 5speed the guy was wanting 800$ for did some talking and traded 2 12 vibe subs, a planet audio amp, and 350$ and picked this one up. The car was not running cause the guy threw a rod threw the side on the block :barf: . but he had a good block from a 92 gsx with pistons and rods in it still. The car already had a stage 2 trans with LSD, and a new head with about 1000 miles or so on it, so a good start to build the engine my way. This kid was not one to do stuff right though, he painted the engine bright blue and it splatterd all over the engine bay and hoses and lines, he didnt bother to take anything out. so i went and picked the car up and started to gut it out. i ordered some weisco 8.3 to 1 pistons and scat h-beam rods for the bottom end. this is a build in progress so will keep posting new pics of how it is going. I dont know what i want with HP yet but some where around 4-500 would be a good range i would think to shoot for, but i wont get there rite away as im not ritch at all haha. So it will be a progressing build but want to get it running then move it up to the 400 range. But i think my bottom end will be good so i can bolt on bigger turbos and all those bolt ons to get there.

image.jpg

The engine before i tore it apart.
DSC00312.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

how far i am with taking out the block
DSC00311.jpg

The block im boring out and some of my engine parts
still havnt got my pistons and rods yet should be coming soon!

View attachment 141963
View attachment 141964
View attachment 141965
yea this kid took flat black spray paint and painted it and didnt do the roof or nothing. And i gutted out the inside to clean the carpets and everything.

Attachments

• DSC00315.jpg
    DSC00315.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds awsome, good luck with the build. Are you sure that is a 1990 because I think that after 1990 the spedometer went 10,20,30 and in 1990 it was 5, 15, 25, 35?

the guy who i got it from before had a 1992 gsx parts car he used and got the 92 hatch bumbers some interior and that gauge cluster:hmm:

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

got the block out the other day cleaned up the garage..mom was getting mad ROFL

I dont want to muck this up but I think a used MHI 16g or even 14b would have been a better choice than that cheap eBay stuff. Even a 2g manifold would have been more cost effective and more efficient than that XS manifold. Just trying to give you pointers for down the road. Not trying to be brash.
The most cost effective way of doing things is doing it right the first time.

Good luck with the build though and keep up the progress

That is not an MHI 16g, easiest way to tell is the tag says turbocharger on it.

**** your rite

getting money back on turbo from guy got lucky that this guys nice i guess will be getting an MHI turbo dont know what size.
got some new parts in today!
DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Update 12-4-2012
orderd some arps from stm
also a tdoh5 bastartd 20g
2g ported mani
ss o2

So i got in my tdoh5 bastard 20g turbo,arp main studs, ported 2g mani,jmf open dump o2,and my evo 8 560cc injectors. My block,head and crank are all going in the shop monday morning the block is goin .020 over the head is just being checked and the crank polished. some time next week my arp head studs,cosmetic hg, and gates belt will be here.

got some pictures of some more of the stuff still waiting on the machiene shop to know if i will need a different bearing size and im ordering my innovative mtx-l wideband on monday
DSC00395_zps40236449.jpg

DSC00396_zps61db88b8.jpg

DSC00397_zps1a5b849c.jpg

DSC00398_zps3479cca0.jpg

DSC00399_zps0335da10.jpg

DSC00400_zpsf8d967b8.jpg

DSC00401_zps0009fbef.jpg

DSC00402_zps881b4b3e.jpg

DSC00403_zpscc192ac5.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back