The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

My 16g Turbo is shot... 18g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeah but does anyone know if the 18g is much better then the evo3? I was just saying i dont wanna go bigger then the 18 cus then i would have to externally gate it.

You don't HAVE to externally gate anything with a wastegate passage (most everything except full garrett's). Plenty of guys do internal gate on fairly large turbos (much bigger than 18g).

I have an 18g and externally gate for the added boost control (which is the only real reason for external wastegate). It's not that you CAN'T do internal gate, it's recommended, and plenty of guys use internal gate without a problem!

And as for the 18g quality, I would recommend it if you aren't willing to get a garret hybrid or full garret setup. I wish I had gone a bit bigger, but am satisfied...

An 18G wouldn't be much of a noticeable "upgrade" over an Evo III 16G. It will spool slower due to the design and size of the compressor wheel, and the added airflow will barely be noticeable.

If you're talking about upgrading to something bigger, make it worth your while.

Wow

There are a ton of suggestions... What kind of "increase" are you after? I recommend a Full Garret 42r with supporting mods... :beatentodeath: If you wan't to internally gate I would REALISTICALLY recommend something from PTE, they are garret hybrids...

^^^ That's kind of misleading, although accurate (what? Read the link and you'll see "trims" are all about proportions). Go with a larger "50 Trim" turbo perhaps, but lose some bottom end.

I just replaced my Evo3 16g with another one after much debate. I thought about an 18g or a 20g from FP, but I just love how hard the Evo3 hits down low. If you want a little more top end, and almost as quick a spool as the E3, the FP 18G-6SL2 looks like a good choice. I almost went there instead, but I am more interested in an auto-x/street turbo than one for the 1/4 mile.

EDIT: The 18g turbo from MAP looks very similar to the FP unit. FP uses a 14psi wastgate actuator, and has a ported housing, though.

Okay, sorry for the misleading? post. I was meaning something as a pte5031, sbrg50, or even a high quality fp green. They can make decent power and have decent spool. And if I am not mistaken they flow about 4 lbs more a minute than a 16g. And as already mentioned, they have very nice top end.

I have had both of these turbo,s on my car .the first one a 18g greedy tdo5 ,the turbo made and instant burst of power but then no more increse in power , now I am using the 20g tdo5 same spool but pulls way harder all the way to redline , both these turbo,s spool almost the same as 14b tdo5 . you have to set your goals to what you want ,and not buy something to small or to big for your horsepower needs .been there ,done that ,not my best move I have ever made .LOL

I changed from my ebay 16g to a clipped 18g and It pulls nice. The spoolup is faster than my ebay 16g.
Probably because the compressor wheel on the eBay Evo III 16G was heavier than the MHI 18G wheel. It's ridiculous that they can market those turbos as an "Evo III 16G" when they're only a 16G by measurement....and a clipped MHI 18G can outspool it! :tease:

And what's more. Many ebay 16g turbos have smaller turbine wheels. Mine won't even fit in my td05h turbine housings. . . When on the ebak cover it says td05. . . Hmmm, and they spool slower :) ?

Thank you maperformance. Very fast delivery. The 18g is awesome, already on the car. Pulls soooo hard. Cant wait for the next dyno-tune session. Appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

I really like the FP-18G-6SL2 and I think it's a great turbo. It definitely flows more than the E316G. Ask Whophlungpoo on here to see a dyno graph of his car that we have put together. He's running the 18g and getting 400awhp and 400awtq on E85 and 25psi. We still believe there is more to be had out of this turbo but he's getting anxious for a bigger turbo. He's got BIG plans for next year. I might get to inherit this turbo from him though and can't wait go get away from my S16G.

BTW, full spoolup is around 3500-3800 rpm. While it's a difference from driving my S16G car and then driving his it's still not bad at all.

Ultimately I want the FP-20G-6SL2 for my car later in life.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back