The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

My 14B is bad.. help me find a cheap temp. solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defrag010

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
n/a, Alabama
There was a little bit of coked oil that clogged the oil feed line to my 14B, and now it is blown. I Need to get my car running, but I can't wait until I can afford my big turbo. I was wondering if there's any smaller bolt on turbo that I could use in place just to my car will run? I was thinking about getting a 13G, but the VR4 guys want those as upgrades, so what about the stock turbo from a 3kgt VR4? I don't care about how small it is, as long as it bolts up and will allow my car to run. If I can't find one for like 50$ or something, I might have to go buy a n/t header and downpipe from the junkyard just so I can drive the car.

defrag010 said:
There was a little bit of coked oil that clogged the oil feed line to my 14B, and now it is blown. I Need to get my car running, but I can't wait until I can afford my big turbo. I was wondering if there's any smaller bolt on turbo that I could use in place just to my car will run? I was thinking about getting a 13G, but the VR4 guys want those as upgrades, so what about the stock turbo from a 3kgt VR4? I don't care about how small it is, as long as it bolts up and will allow my car to run. If I can't find one for like 50$ or something, I might have to go buy a n/t header and downpipe from the junkyard just so I can drive the car.
What do you have against a 14b for 100 bucks? Id assume its about the same if you found a header and downpipe at a junkyard. Hell, go 14b shopping at the junkyard :)

to spend 100$ on a 14B will be pointless when It's gonna come right off a few months from now in favor of a holset. I need as much money as possible to go towards the holset, so If I can find some small tiny stock turbo that no one wants that will work for me, i'll take it. 100$ on a 14b means even More downtime in the longrun.. I can use this temp solution until I save enough to buy the holset and put it on. I was thinking about a turbo off of a starion or a 3kgt: Basically a small junkyard turbo that can be had for cheap and will bolton to my stock setup.

buy a used 14b... You can re-sell it for whatever you paid for it when it comes time if you want to upgrade. If you having a hard time dealing with downtime now, wait till you start modding.

14b is the best option imo. If your awd i cant see a NT head/downpipe bolting up. Then you get to worry about blocking off all your water and oil lines. Then you can worry about how you will be connecting your maft to the UICP etc. Im sure you didnt think of all this.

3000GT's come with 9B's, which are smaller then 14B's. I imagine you could pick one up from one of those guys for less then $100, but really - your car is probably going to suck in the meantime. I'd probably just save up for a 14B and delay the big upgrade.

anconover said:
14b is the best option imo. If your awd i cant see a NT head/downpipe bolting up. Then you get to worry about blocking off all your water and oil lines. Then you can worry about how you will be connecting your maft to the UICP etc. Im sure you didnt think of all this.
Actually, I did. I have a N/T waterpipe that is scheduled to go on when I get the holset (which is oil cooled), and I made a custom pipe out of a piece of stock exhaust that follows the same line as a standard short ram for running the engine N/T. I'm FWD so a n/t manifold and downpipe will fit.

Besides, I'm not asking whether I should buy a used 14B. I don't want to do that. I am asking if there are any other smaller turbos that can be gotten for around 50 dollars (because no one wants them) that I can bolt up in place of my blown 14B while I save up to buy the big turbo.

I have a spare tdo5 7cm turbine housing. Will the CHRA from a 3kgt or starion stock turbo fit in it?

the 9b's from 3000gt wont bolt on. neither will a starion turbo. I have never seen the feed line get clogged from oil coking., Did you take it off and look at it? or are you assuming it is clogged? trying to tranplant a smaller turbo is going to cost you more than picking up a used 14b, also the 14b you can sell for what you paid for or more, anything else smaller, no dsmer will touch.

I have a decent 14b I'll sell you for $70 shipped. I just took it off my car last week. It has about 100k on it. Boosted great on my car, almost no play of anykind. Just a offer, anything seems better than going n/a.

turbodadagain, I could have sworn I posted it in the "general/newbie" forum as I haven't even visited the advanced forum in a good week. When my 14B siezed up, the engine stalled and I took the turbo off. When i took the oil feed line off, I blew through it and I couldn't blow through it. I hooked some compressed air up to one side and it shot out a big coked oil blob across the garage. When I took the turbine housing off of the 14B, I could see tons and tons of coking buildup. I don't know how it could have gotten stuck in the feed line though.

leland, That offer sounds like one I can't refuse. I'm not gonna commit to it at the moment because I'm waiting on an ebay bidder to pay me 75$ for an auction of mine he won. Whenever I get the money, I'll give ya a holler. :)

Ok cool. Someone else in this world may get to use my nifty idea. I built a turbo block-off plate. It's easy. Remove turbo band-clamp along with compressor and center section. Block off the four hoses. Put a bolt in head for oil block off, plug other three lines. Take the intake assy. with maf and connect it directly to your TB elbow. Then manufacture a plate of the same thickness/diameter as the center section flange that holds it to the turbine housing. Then simply bolt the band clamp over the plate. Voila, you have a cheap temperary N/T car until you get your Holset. pictures of my car as N/T with custom block off plate

Does your car have a turbo timer on it? If not, when you run your turbo hard it gets realy hot. If you stop the car after a hard drive, the turbo can get so hot it will carmelize the oil. If you don't have a turbo timer, I think you should get one before you get your new turbo.

Dude if your that broke that you can spend $100 on a turbo to make your car run.....you should prolly buy a honda :rolleyes:

UNSpooled said:
Dude if your that broke that you can spend $100 on a turbo to make your car run.....you should prolly buy a honda :rolleyes:

i think so also 70 Shipped for a 14b turbo aint bad then he can sell it for 100 and have a good funing car not a n/a alot of things could go wrong if your so about saving money dont drive the car!! just get a used 14b PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

UNSpooled said:

stfu plz. you know nothing about my situation. I've spent less than 1700$ on my whole car, including the car itself, mods and a complete new big rod/2g motor. 100$ is alot of money, and it's no use spending it on my car if it's not going to go towards my goal.

I didn't ask everyone what their opinion was, I just asked a simple question. If you don't have an answer to my question, Stfu.

whitetiger, the car wasn't running when I got it. It was the previous owner who coked up the turbo. It had over 200k miles on it. The turbo looked good on the outside, but when I started up my new motor, I found out it was bad.

ok well with all this said i think the cheaps u could get a turbo would be maybe a 13b from a auto 1g eclipse for around 75 maybe a bit more or a 14b for a bit more if u dont want to do any of them then i think your F***ed we tryed to help u and tell u what would be the cheaps but u dont like to listen so go ahead do what u want its not your problem and we did try to help hope u work all this out!

If you don't have an answer to my question, Stfu.

What do you want me to do again??? :)

No all i'm trying to say is that it's a waste of time to put anything else on (9b,13g etc...) just to save 20 bucks....I just don't get it...You can throw on a 14b and have a fun car until your "goal" is completed.^^70 bucks shipped your not gonna beat that.

Are you asking for peoples opinions, or are you telling them what you plan on doing? Because you say you wont buy a 14b. And you say you have everything ready to swap to a NT setup and that this is what you plan to do. So why not end the thread here, and you can go ahead with your plan.

defrag.. i hear what you're saying. and i feel your pain. i'm married, got a kid, got a desire to go fast... but got a house payment, car payment, etc... most the people on this board are just kids with no bills, or stupid. i'm sure you've already gotten in touch with the 70 dollar 14b, sounds like the cheapest thing to do because like the guy said earlier the 3/s 9b's wont bolt up, and even though they're smaller, they sell for more than 14b's do because they're "rarer". just wanted you to know i feel your pain and hope everything works out for ya. i was in the same boat as you were with my t25, and i didn't even have the money to spend on another t25 (i ended up getting a 14b ) but i was turboless with my car setting under my carport for like 2 weeks. some "kids" just don't understand.

97spydagst said:
we tryed to help u and tell u what would be the cheaps but u dont like to listen so go ahead do what u want its not your problem and we did try to help hope u work all this out!
I'm not going to listen to something that's not an answer to my problem. Telling me to get a 14B, which everyone suggested, is not an answer to my problem, as I said in the first post that I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A 14B. I have too many bills and I'm also just got done paying the tuition for the spring 2005 semester. Just shitting 100$ out of my ass seems easy until I look at my stack of bills.

UNSpooled, it's all good.. it's been a bad week, i apologize. I'm not looking for a "fun" car until I get the big turbo, I'm just looking for a running car!

mike1992, to some 100$ is VERY hard to come by. It's not the easiest thing having to pay rent, water, electric, gas, car payment, car insurance, living food, gas, College tuition, College books, and all that junk and be able to have a "spare" 100 dollars sitting around. Go see if you can live on your own working at mcdonalds and afford to pay your way through college. Oh, and work fulltime while you're going to college too.

anconover, I suggest you re-read my first post. I'm not asking Anyone's opinion. I don't see my "plan" anywhere? All I asked was if there was any SMALLER, CHEAPER turbos that will bolt up temoprarily. I don't want to get a 14B because I CAN'T AFFORD ONE AND I NEED MY CAR TO RUN!. I don't have the n/t manifold and downpipe. That's why I just said that if there is NO cheaper bolton turbo that I will have to BUY a n/t exhaust. Like I said, I suggest you read my first post and compare it with your response and see if it makes sense.

FYI, this thread is done because jesepes showed me something he did when he was in a similar situation. Thanks jesepes for actually finding something that would actually help me out. I'm gonna make a blockoff plate like he did so I can run n/t until I can afford my new planned turbo.
40491SANY01811.jpg

defrag010 said:
I'm not going to listen to something that's not an answer to my problem. Telling me to get a 14B, which everyone suggested, is not an answer to my problem, as I said in the first post that I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A 14B. I have too many bills and I'm also just got done paying the tuition for the spring 2005 semester. Just shitting 100$ out of my ass seems easy until I look at my stack of bills.

UNSpooled, it's all good.. it's been a bad week, i apologize. I'm not looking for a "fun" car until I get the big turbo, I'm just looking for a running car!

mike1992, to some 100$ is VERY hard to come by. It's not the easiest thing having to pay rent, water, electric, gas, car payment, car insurance, living food, gas, College tuition, College books, and all that junk and be able to have a "spare" 100 dollars sitting around. Go see if you can live on your own working at mcdonalds and afford to pay your way through college. Oh, and work fulltime while you're going to college too.

[/img]
Well first off Id like to say I feel your pain yet have no mercy. Im doing the full time school/full time work thing. Last time I checked no one forced you to buy a car when you were in such a money crunch and try to make it fast. It also doesnt seem like this is a car that your using as a daily driver since you bought it not running. If you did, shame on you for buying a non working car for a daily driver. Next, no one said 100 dollars, someone offered 70. That is by far the cheapest alternative youll find, compared to any other turbo set up or anything. Id almost bet its cheaper than trying to make your car non turbo. Ive also had a bad week, but im not snapping on people because my dog just died and my winter car has a blown headgasket. So relax. Overall you need to relax, you come on here and cant take peoples suggestions, than snap on all of us and tell us to stfu, way to be mature. I just dont get it, no one was being mean, we were all pointing out that the 14b IS the cheapest option, and you snap on us. Overall, im deeply sorry to see you driving a DSM if you cant "afford it". Best of luck though :thumb:

You're misreading my posts, and you're making false assumptions about me.

It just aggrivates me because it seems like most every forum member here is a bot, and they only say pre-programmed answers to every problem:
Q."What is a good clutch that will take power and isn't an ACT?"
A."An ACT 2100 should do you fine"
Q. "I don't want to get a 14B, what is a cheaper temporary solution?"
A. "Just spend 100$ on another 14B".

Get what I'm tryin to say?

When I come on here asking for an Alternative, Cheap, Temporary (temporary being the key word, as logic indicates) solution, I don't need 10 people telling me to just "buy another 14B".

Also, bearing false to your assumptions, I'm not trying to make this car a daily driver. I didn't mention daily driver anywhere. I have a truck which fulfills that role in my life. No one forced me to buy the car, and all I'm doing is making it a Cheap project car. I've had it since October, 2003 and I've spent all of my spare money on it since. The only reason I need to get it running is because It's in my grandma's garage (because i live at an apartment), and she needs her garage back.
You're right, I do need to relax. I wouldn't be cross about it if people would just Read My Post!!! :) I didn't start this thread to ask why "just buying another 14B" is a cheaper route, I started it to ask if there are any other cheap bolton alternatives. Everyone seemed to miss the key phrase in my first post: "for around 50 dollars or less".
I'm glad you think I'm immature, but when someone says "Dude if your that broke that you can spend $100 on a turbo to make your car run.....you should prolly buy a honda ", it kind of trips my switch. You can't sit there and say that every response in this thread is pertinent to what I asked. Why are you even posting in this thread anyway? You aren't helping me out with my problem, just trying to state your misinformed opinion on me. The only reason i'm "snapping" is because people keep on focking saying to get a 14B!!!!

There's no justification for not being able to "Afford" a dsm. I've put together a whole car for under 2k$ that would cost about 5 thousand + if you were to buy all of the parts from a dealer and have a shop do everything. That's the whole reason I'm doing this, is to spend as little money as possible.

The only person that has Actually helped me is jesepes, and he showed me a Free way to run my car without a turbo on it. If you will see my post before yours, you will see that.
Also, Please stop making your own false assumptnions about me and my car.

So don't view this as a flame post or me "snapping" on you, because I'm just trying to etch into the people's heads that I'm Not getting a 14B.

Please don't post unless you have an answer for what I'm asking.

reading comprehension > dsmtuners.com :thumb:

defrag010 said:
You're misreading my posts.
Also, bearing false to your assumptions, I'm not trying to make this car a daily driver.
reading comprehension > dsmtuners.com :thumb:
Just quoting 3 parts. Ironic, since i said "it doesnt seem like this is a daily driver,....if it is..."
Than stated I made false assumptions that it was a daily driver.
Toodles ;)

yeah..

I don't see anything with relevance to being a 'daily driver', though. You're the one who brought it up. :p

The keyword "if", means you posed a question in your mind, which is based on your assumptions. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back