The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Musical Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ok. So recently my car starting making this weird whistling noise related the RPM and can only hear it starting from ~2400RPM - ~3000RPM. It sounds like the little kids toys that are like whistles can you can pull out on the tube and it gets deeper. As you push in it gets higher. So every time I shift I have to hear the whistling noise going up and down.

I have checked all the vacuum lines and I have checked the intercooler lines for disconnected hoses etc. Everything seems to be intact. My boost gauge at warm idle registers about -20hg. Its just so weird to listen to. Also you can't hear it if the car isn't under power (in gear). I have a minor exhaust gasket leak (head/mani) but I know its not that.

I think its turbo related noise but I can't figure out what to do to solve this musical error. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!

OMG haha that picture!! defiant makes me laugh...

Anyways I want to perform the BLT but everytime I go searching online for the best way to make the tester I get about 4 or 5 different ones and some look pricey and the others look like they just are a waste of time. I could totally be wrong! But my car builds and holds boost quickly and very well! at least I have never had any problems with boost not building at what seems like a normal amount. But I should probably give that a try and see what happens. Can someone help me out with that when my gf comes back with my car? Also does anyone else have any ideas on what could be acting up?

Does it sound like a whistle or whine? Check to see if you have any shaft play, then do a boost leak test. You don't need to buy a boost leak tester online, you can make one yourself for a lot cheaper

Does it sound like a whistle or whine? Check to see if you have any shaft play, then do a boost leak test. You don't need to buy a boost leak tester online, you can make one yourself for a lot cheaper

Ah ha... I have both. But I know what the whine noise is...bad bearing in transmission. But its is truly a whistling noise... seriously I will try to find the noise I am talking about. It sounds like a kids toy. But I know you can make one but I haven't found one that I would think to be reliable thats not cheesy. I am totally open and interested if someone wants to help me through a BLT. I checked for shaft play about 2 weeks ago when I installed my cat-back exhaust. But this noise came after checking. So if I do a BLT i'll double check the shaft play.

YouTube - Merry Go Round, Slide Whistle

This is the toy but instead of playing the weird merry go round noise imagine it going in one stroke up and then aat shift down and then gas goes back up.

What kind of bov do you have? My bov makes a long whistle noise when I am in a certain part of vacuum. It makes that noise several seconds when I let go and when i give it a little gas. Now i'm not talking about the typical blow off noise when letting off boost, im talking about at a certain point in vacuum my bov opens and starts to suck in air through the bov creating this whistle noise.

when my gf comes back with my car

First things first, if she has your keys, go online and buy another transmission and engine.

After that go buy a new turbo, because my ebay B16g shipped for $280 just took a dump on me.
It got me an "excessive smoke" ticket and pulled over twice on my way to work.
It was even on our dyno while it was making that noise! It was building 1-2psi of boost at 1500rpm, but spooled 18psi by 3800ishrpm

Does the noise keep getting louder and louder? sounds exactly how my turbo did from what I can tell.
At first it sounds like a GT30R on part throttle playing with the spool-up,

First things first, if she has your keys, go online and buy another transmission and engine.

After that go buy a new turbo, because my ebay B16g shipped for $280 just took a dump on me.
It got me an "excessive smoke" ticket and pulled over twice on my way to work.
It was even on our dyno while it was making that noise! It was building 1-2psi of boost at 1500rpm, but spooled 18psi by 3800ishrpm

Does the noise keep getting louder and louder? sounds exactly how my turbo did from what I can tell.
At first it sounds like a GT30R on part throttle playing with the spool-up,

Haha its ok really. One I showed her how to drive the car... 2nd she can drive stick very well and 3rd she knows she will have to pay for all damages!!

I have the stock 1g BOV and I have never had this problem before. I am going to be storing the car in June and I really don't want to replace the turbo before that. So I am waiting. But if it has a lot of shaft play I will replace it with...something...
Also the sound doesn't get any louder it just goes away. I am almost certian after driving it again tonight that it is related to the turbo or boost. danny_l_2005 if you know of a good boost leak tester hit me up with a link or something so I can get this done right and correctly. My engine only has 4,000 miles on it. Any if anyone else has any suggestions... ideas I would really appriciate it. Thanks.

what does it sound like a whistle or whine

In post 6 I have the little clip of what it sounds like so I would have to say it a whistle noise. The whine noise I have is bad bearing in my tranny and the stupid power steering pump.

So the noise is slowly getting louder. I am kinda getting freaked out...just a tiny bit. I need to perform the BLT but I don't have a tester. I want to build one but I want it to be a reliable and good tester! Something thats easy to throw together but works just the same. I have never performed the test So i am hoping to find some good results. Any input would really help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back