The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Muffler sound (Loud Drone)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandaBear

Probationary Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ottawa, ON_Canada
Hi, so I bought a 97 Eagle Talon ESi and the person fitted one of those really stupid performance mufflers on it. The thing is, it makes it very VERY loud inside the car, deafening would be the right word, it feels like you are sitting on a plane. The thing is, it's loudest when it's at around 3000 RPM but becomes quite quiet at 4000 and above and also from 1000-2500, it resonates with the car at 3000 RPM, which happens to be the RPM that you get when you are cruising at around 120kph on the highway *FML.

So my question is, are are anythings that I can do to change the RPM at which the muffler decides to blow my eardrums out or am I stuck with having to replace it?

If the rest of your exhaust is factory then just get a new muffler. If the rest of the exhaust is modified then even if you change the muffler it will most likely still be loud. In that case you would need to get a resonator or a second muffler welded on under your car. Search for quiet exhaust, you will turn up several threads about this same issue. Here are some search results.

Yeah, this person changed the entire exhaust right from the engine. I realized that it's actually really quiet for city driving if I shift up before I hit 2800RPM, and... I now provide people ear plugs when I go on the highway. XD

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back