The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

MT to AUTO swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motohead1

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2002
Charlotte_NC
Hi all. I'm plaining to swap a auto into my dads 92 AWD. I think he will enjoy daily driving and racing it more with an auto since he cant shift it like Shep without breaking something. ROFL Ive gathered alot of info mostly from atdsm.com witch seems to be down right now? :( Ive got just about all the parts I need from a donor car. The TCU looks like it might have a smoked cap in it. The car I pulled all my parts from was said to have shifting problems.

My question is it commin for the TCU caps to go causing problems? I plan to open up the tranny to rebuild it just to check everything. Thanks. :cool:

the answer to your question is yes. im currently daily driving a 91 auto TSi with a shitty tcu. i replaced the cap and cleaned the motherboard but it was bad for too long and smoked it. try replacing it and clean up the battery acid with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and solder a new one in, if it still doesnt work youll need a new one. eventually it will go into limp mode and youll only have 3rd gear.

Cool ill try that. You do bring up somthing elseI have not though about. The "limp home mode" light. I bet the 5 spd dosent have the light there? Do you know if it is? :confused: I know the wire harness is already there. Also do you know if ATDSM.com has moved to a new address? I caint find it. :mad:

There is no limp mode "light". Its just a safty mode the TCU converts to when there is a problem.

Yea thanks. After some searching I found that out. Sorry kinda shot out of the hip on that question. :rolleyes: Lots of good info in here guys. :thumb: I still wish i could log onto atdsm.com tho. :confused:

You should throw in a shift kit before you install the tranny. Itll only cost you 80 bucks and help your tranny shift much easier

Yea I plan on it. Gonna throw some fresh clutches in it to. But looks like Ive run into a snag as there are no tcu plugs in the 92 awd 5spd harness so ill have to swap the harnesses too. :( A little more work than I was expecting but o well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back