The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

MR2 doing 10's. *vid clip*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pretty quick stock, try hella quick hehe. Saw a vid of one with just a jdm motor making an srt4 look like it wasnt moving. I magine all that horespower and a platform that could handle it, Id dare to say that i like the mr2 better than the supra, better sportscar but thats just imo.

xxrealmsxx said:
Id dare to say that i like the mr2 better than the supra, better sportscar but thats just imo.

They do use the MR2 engine in some supra's like the Top Secret GT500 supra.

Great little cars. It actually has more potential than a supra in terms of power to weight ratio. Two major problems with the car:
1) With lots of power, you have to be careful with power delivery around turns cause they oversteer like crazy.
2) Any major engine work basically requires you to pull the engine which is a difficult task to begin with. However, the engine has just as much, if not more potential then a 4G63 in a much ligher car.

Not that many modded ones around. I've driven a lot of stock turbo MR2's and they're pretty quick (I own a MR2 NA which is my daily driver). Heavy car for the size though, with the NA being as much as 2800 some odd lbs and the turbo running an extra 100 to 150 lbs. Very short gearing. I hit (yes, the NA *will* hit it) the rev limiter in 5th at 126mph in my NA (6300rpms). Turbo engine (3S-GTE) is like a stronger 4g63. Tough to install a bigger turbo on due to limited space for decent IC. Not very many around, so parts take a LONG time to get. (I waited 6 weeks for new struts, months upon months for strut tower braces, etc.).
Handling, that's what it's really about with an MR2. This is probably why there aren't that many with tons of engine mods. They're all about the handling, putting down a lot of power is really not a big deal (if you've got one, you know exactly what I'm talking about). If you don't have one... Well, I read a lot about how people love how their DSM outhandles all the cars they've had before, etc... Well, my MR2 (with just slightly thicker swaybars, Bilsteins, and heftier strut tower braces) makes my race suspension equipped DSM feel like an old floaty Buick in comparison... Despite 1/3rd (yes, about 33%) the horsepower, my MR2 turns in times nearly 2 seconds faster (in comparison to other drivers of course, since the layout is always different) on our typical autox courses.
Take it for what it is. I love my DSM and my MR2, each for different things. Neither more than the other. Don't be offended that I called the "best handling car you've ever driven" a "floaty old buick" :) as it's just my opinion...

These cars are great. they handle better than an awd dsm and a better power to weight ratio. they arent that great for the drag strip like the dsms, but are more fun to drive in my opinion. but with the right driver they can do great at the track. Some one said you pretty much have to pull the engine to do major engine work, not all true. You remove to motor mount brackets and put a jack on the engine itself and your good to go, if you know what you are doin to some extent, you can have an engine out in an hour. I actually own an mr2 and i got it to a 14.2 with a mbc and could of got better, one hell of a car.

LoL i was at that event at LACR a few months ago. Just to let you know LACR is approx. 2700ft elevation so multiply his et by .97 and trap speed by 1.03 and that is what he would run a sea level

Is it just me, or did it look like the front end came off the ground?

awd4g63 said:
Is it just me, or did it look like the front end came off the ground?

Probably, my computer's too slow to watch this clip, but all the other 10 second MR2 clips I've seen before had the front end in the air at launch. Nearly 70% of the weight is on the back of the car...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back