The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G MPI relay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcihlar

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2011
Weston, Wisconsin
MPI relay clicks and car cuts out, with fuel pump directly wired to the battery the car runs great, how can I test the 1g (92) MPI relay to make sure the relay is good?

Today, for the second time mine also cut on and off over and over again. The similarity is that it's cold raining and the car on first startup will cut off after the MPI relay clicks. Then I'll restart the car and it'll keep clicking on and off, while the car fights to stay alive.

I then have to reset everything in my ECMLink, because it deletes it for some reason, if I can get the car to keep running for 5 minutes, it may not ever happen again for 3 months, until it's cold and rainy outside.

In my case it seems to be a short somewhere, causing it to ground out, but if it gets hot enough to remove the water, wherever it may be, the short goes away, until the next time. Or it's something inside the ECU going bad.

I just had ECMLink replace my MPI relay output less than 2 months ago.

Ive looked at the link many times curious as to how to apply power to watch the coils close? tried applying power to connector 10 and all it did was spark...

Today, for the second time mine also cut on and off over and over again.
The similarity is that it's cold raining and the car on first startup will cut off after the mpi relay clicks.
Then i'll restart the car and it'll keep clicking on and off, while the car fights to stay alive.
I then have to reset everything in my ecmlink, because it deletes it for some reason, if i can get the car to keep running for 5 minutes, it may not ever happen again for 3 months, untill it's cold and raininy outside.
I'n my case it seems to be a short somewhere, causing it to ground out, but if it gets hot enough to remove the water, wherever it may be, the short goes away, until the next time.
or it's something inside the ecu going bad. I just had ecmlink replace my mpi relay output less than 2 months ago.

this is pretty much how mine is finally solved a boost issue took it out for a drive ran perfect pulled hard everything i was so happy, parked it, tried starting it started perfect, then next morning starts mpi relay clicks car dies so mad but its done this in the past as well then goes away sometimes, id like to fix it for good and be done with it, I just had the caps redone on my ecu about a month or two ago so im pretty positive its nothing to do with the ecu. Ive replaced the mpi relay a year or two ago but i guess I wanna test it this time before blowing 75 bucks at the dealership again :(

Ive looked at the link many times curious as to how to apply power to watch the coils close? tried applying power to connector 10 and all it did was spark...

The contacts click pretty loudly you don't need to see them move.

The coil resistance should limit the current and you shouldn't be seeing sparks. Pin 10 gets 12v and pin 8 gets ground. Make sure you have the right pins.

this is pretty much how mine is finally solved a boost issue took it out for a drive ran perfect pulled hard everything i was so happy, parked it, tried starting it started perfect, then next morning starts mpi relay clicks car dies so mad but its done this in the past as well then goes away sometimes, id like to fix it for good and be done with it, I just had the caps redone on my ecu about a month or two ago so im pretty positive its nothing to do with the ecu. Ive replaced the mpi relay a year or two ago but i guess I wanna test it this time before blowing 75 bucks at the dealership again :(

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but i will stay posted as I'd like to fix this as well.

I have 3 more good mpi relays, and the first time i had this issue, i swapped them out, with no luck at all. I found it was not the relay. It had crossed my mind that my security system may have been on the glitch, as it would cut off the power like that, causing the car to die and killing the ecu's backup power so i loose all my settings.
I may try removing the security system that came factory and see how it reacts for me. Like i mentioned it'll be a long test, because it doesn't do it except randomly.

Digging up an old thread but did anyone ever find a fix for this?

I have a hh Galant GSR auspec hatch 4g63, and its doing the same thing. Every few weeks/months, usually after rain but not always, when i start the car the MFI relay will tick repeatedly and the tacho drops every time it does. Engine light comes on too. Sometimes the MFI will even be crackling, then the engine will crank but not fire up, but usually randomly start working 20 mins or so later.

Occasionally it can happen when driving down the highway, but it doesn't kill the car just cuts out for a sec and then goes back to normal.

Its driving me nuts, every morning i go out half an hr before i have to leave just to find out if ill be driving to work that day.

It has been to the mechanic a few times but every time it gets there the problem doesn't happen and he cant find any faults.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back