The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Moving hood hindges to the frount.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's the quick an dirty on my 90-degree 2G hood mod.

Remove hinges.

Grind away the small, folded metal stop in the hinge base using a cut-off wheel or similar.
Temporarily fix the hinge in the desired full open position and cross drill an 1/8" dia hole in each hinge for the new lock pin.

Dimple the inner fender area with a small drift or similar tool so that when the hood opens fully you don't accidentally bend the upper corner of the hood.

CAUTION: Your hood can now open completely over into the glass and break it so you have been warned. I use a small hardened drill rod for the hinge lock pin and I'm careful not to use the 90-degree mod on a windy day so I don't tempt fate. I keep the 1/8" dia. hinge pins under the hood. I hide them out of the way attached by a tiny magnet so no one sees them but they are there when I need them.

I will take a few close up shots and make a new thread next week since this seems like it might be popular with a few of you.

after considering how much it would suck to work on w that hood flipping forward i think ill just do with out one completely that way no more problems..... no but thanks i dont plan on doing this anymore but the 90 degree mod looks pretty different

thanks

Here's the quick an dirty on my 90-degree 2G hood mod.

Remove hinges.

Grind away the small, folded metal stop in the hinge base using a cut-off wheel or similar.
Temporarily fix the hinge in the desired full open position and cross drill an 1/8" dia hole in each hinge for the new lock pin.

Dimple the inner fender area with a small drift or similar tool so that when the hood opens fully you don't accidentally bend the upper corner of the hood.

CAUTION: Your hood can now open completely over into the glass and break it so you have been warned. I use a small hardened drill rod for the hinge lock pin and I'm careful not to use the 90-degree mod on a windy day so I don't tempt fate. I keep the 1/8" dia. hinge pins under the hood. I hide them out of the way attached by a tiny magnet so no one sees them but they are there when I need them.

I will take a few close up shots and make a new thread next week since this seems like it might be popular with a few of you.

Did it, took me a half hour. Love it already! Will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks azdave, its amazing how much I can see in the engine bay now.

Maybe I'll do it. Whenever I do larger projects and have to spend more time under the hood I just take the hood off. I've been known to tool around town with no hood a couple of times.
I just took a black permanent marker and outlined the shape of the hinge mounting brackets on the underside of the hood and then taken the hood off. The stock 2G hood is pretty heavy but not so heavy that one person couldn't take it off and reinstall it. I may have to look at this idea and see if there is a way to do it that would still leave some protection from falling backwards.

Here is my new 2G 90-degree hood mod Tech Article as discussed further up in this thread as an option.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/288974-2g-90-degree-opening-hood-mod.html

81815d1206996055-2g-90-degree-opening-hood-mod-9.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back