The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Moving car without suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornerHard

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2002
Seattle, Washington
What's the best way to go about moving a car without a suspension? I need to remove my shocks and shock mounts, but still be able to get the car to the tow truck to get junked. If I put the car on four spares would the car still be able to roll, or would the tires rub in the fender wells? I've also heard of people creating dollies to move cars around on.

I used to just roll them around on a number of hydraulic jacks.

I normally just drag them onto the stock car trailer with no suspension, or saw the car in half and you can put it on a snowmobile trailer or in the bed of a truck

The last civic I parted I removed the suspension... I layed the car on 2 pallets and the tow truck guy (one of those "we haul your junk car for free" places) just used the winch to pull itup on a flatbed...

Jesus yeah, last car I parted out, I took the rear end and had it up on the jacks and I couldn't find my hyd jack so i brought my g/f out there and told her to pull the stands from under the car on three....her face at first was priceless....
anyways, i was able to lift up the entire rear half of the car. She ran around to the other side and took the other jack and I dropped the car...I felt like heeman...

The tow guy just dragged it up the flatbed...

I did the stripping in an abandoned parking lot which just happen to run along one of the busiest streets in Lakewood/Golden Colorado...it was quite a site and not until AFTER the rear end was out did I realize that a cop could just come right by and ask where the title was...:confused: Cars have titles? I bought this one withoutOMG not cool...:shhh:

Without the suspension, it won't roll on donuts.

Options:

#1 - Winch.

#2 - If it missing a large amount of it's weight (engine, drivetrain, etc...) then you might be able to pick it up and maneuver it around with the help of about 8 buddies and a 30-pack.

#3 - You could try to source a set of stock shocks and springs from a local DSM being parted out. Most people wouldn't charge much (if anything) for a set of stockers off a parts car.

#4 - I've never tried this, but you could try to wedge a 2x4 between the underside of the strut tower and the the lower control arm. That would simulate suspension just to give the car some height and keep the wheel wells off of the tops of the tires.

Take everything off of the car. Then put it all back on very loose. Roll it on to a trailer, jack it up, strip it, set it down, strap down, and take to scrap yard. I did this and it was very simple and saved my garage floor from getting all messed up.

#4 - I've never tried this, but you could try to wedge a 2x4 between the underside of the strut tower and the the lower control arm. That would simulate suspension just to give the car some height and keep the wheel wells off of the tops of the tires.

This works, we have moved several cars around by jacking them up and wedging any kind of wood you can find into the areas where suspension parts used to be. The front can be a little hard depending on what all you removed, but since the car is junk anyways, Im sure you can find a way to get it to stay off the tires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back