The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Moving a dsm shell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex1993tsi

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2020
Port coqutlam, BC_Canada
So my car has no engine in it and I gotta move it a few blocks my plan is to flat tow it.
The front axles are still in the hubs. Can I just remove them and put the tires on or will that possibly ruin my wheel bearings?
And if it will ruin them how do I move the car...take the axle all apart and leave the part that goes in the hub?

If you're using a flat tow, do nothing. if you're using the tow that lifts the front up, do nothing. You'll be fine. The wheel will spin with or without the axel. Wheel bearing will go bad from milage/wear /dirt/
Not a flatbed tow truck.
Like I'm gonna strap it behind my truck and tow it with a rope with someone driving the truck and I'm driving the talon.
I believe that is called flat towing but I could be wrong

According to the FSM you shouldn’t even let the weight of the car rest on the wheels with the axle removed. That 150 ftlb keeps it all snug. For a few blocks you might be able to rig some coat hanger wire to hold up the trans-end of each halfshaft in a level alignment, where it can rotate with the wheels, thought it is a little risky if something gets out of position and the axles gets jammed against something. Your idea about disassembling the outer cv joint And only putting the stub end back (and torqued) should work great, but a lot more work. There are lots of videos on how to take them apart and put them back together. Just match mark the housing and cage and keep the balls in order.

For a few blocks......I would suspend the CV's with some clothes hangers and drive very slow. My ex blew the back driveshaft outta my Blazer once so I had her tie the DS up with wire (a coat hanger I believe) and put it into 4 wheel drive and drive it SLOWLY home. Made it with no issues. DRIVE VERY SLOW...…..you are only going a FEW blocks.

Damm well I'll probably get a flat bed then or something like that
Nah bro you're good. Loose the fear and attack it. Your car isn't going blow up. Drive slow like 30-40. There will always be some one who tell you to be safe, but live a little and experience something first hand. Makes great memories

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back