The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

motor swap need some help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdubs

Probationary Member
Jan 9, 2008
Syracuse, New_York
okay, i have the oppurtunity to buy a 99 eclipse with a blown motor for a relativly cheap price roughly 800 dollars the car is mint. so i was wondering where can i look for a 4g63 motor is it worth it what am i looking at price wise what exactly do i need? i searched some of it but nothing really was specific enough. can i keep the car fwd only ? just need some help
thanks
terry

you mean look for a 4g63 or a 420a motor and where shold i look? any suggestions my budget is around $3000 Thanks

AHHH! it's N/A im sorry. I should have payed more attention. Im not savvy in that aspect of our cars. Im sure you can still pick up a cheap motor from an engine yard and rebuild it though. If it's a clean car your still getting away cheap IMO.

If the car is N/A you'll want to ask whether or not you wanna go with some boost. You could swap in a turbo system and motor with a few extra bucks. Check for local engines first. Some times it will cost more for shipping than it is worth, as I have found, and a rebuild will be more along your lines. It's the balance between local work and distance from reliable sources.

DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for Used DSM Parts! has some decent prices and they're fairly well versed in not grabbing already blown engines. If you want to go big, there are a lot of places that can give you an already rebuilt block. Do you have the SOHC or DOHC in there currently (1.8L or 2.0L)?

With $3k, it depends on how much work you intend to do yourself and how much of it will need to be done in a shop. Could you give a benchmark on your proficiency?

2g's didn't come with a 1.8l. He has a 99 and it's a big pain in the ass to swap a 4g63 into a n/t. It can be done, however IMO I would drop a 420a and keep it as a daily or flip it and sell it for quite a bit and start over with another car.

thanks guys i actually located a nice 420a just about 20 minutes away guy wants 1000 for it says i have to get it out of the car odometer only reads 67,874 miles... good find?

Make sure you get a compression test before you buy it. A lot of things can happen in ~67k miles. I would also freshen up a few things on it as well, timing belt, water pump, tensioner's and pulleys, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back