The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Motor mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangan

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2002
Wichita, Kansas
I was informed today that the car im going to buy needs I believe the passenger side motor mount. The person i'm buying from has already installed the drivers side and he told me he had to get it pressed out.

From what I understand the passenger side is pretty easy to get to. What I wanna know is if it is that hard to do and what tools will I need. If anybody has done this before on a 90 TSI AWD please let me know. Is there anyway to get out the mount without having to pay someone. Any guesstimates on how much if I just took it in to get the one side done?

Is there a vfaq for swaping motor mounts?
Thanks,
Mat

All you realy need is big jack to be able to hold up the motor. Then you need a 17mm deep socket for the bolts on the transmission. Also you need to take the bolts out inside the fenderwell to release the mount. before that you'll need to remove your piping and maybe your battery. Its a farely easy job.

Sounds like someone likes your money. I've never heard of a motor monut needing to be pressed. I've changed the motor mounts only problem was finding them. The parts store only carries one of my mounts. Had to go to a dealership.

The rubber can deteriorate to the point of providing a really poor mounting point, I have already seen motor mounts fail on a car. The hell with a dealership, get to a salvage yard and go on the trader and find a person who is parting out a car. The passenger side especially because it's a trans mount, having the motor and trans secure is very important and mechanical problems can be a result if there is too much play.

I don't know who would be stupid enough to buy a USED motor mount from a salvage yard or another car, whoever does so is definitelly wasting his/her time and shouldn't be allowed near a car.

The pressing part is because not everyone carries the mounts but the dealership and the dealers will charge you a nut for each mount (there are 4). Instead you can buy a similar mount with the same insert and have it pressed into your original bracket for cheap. It's all just rubber, no big deal.

To replace the tranny mount, all you need is a jack to lift THE FRONT OF THE CAR and a long extension to work without hassle. The reason for lifting the car is to access the fender bolts without having to remove the wheel, if you like removing the wheel as the manual says, please knock yourself out. If you are slick, you won't need to lift the motor at all, the two bolts that go into the transmission are long enough to bolt up without lifting up the motor.

just my .02

I have a question about the motor mounts. I have been told by several parts stores that there are only 2 motor mounts for my car, but I have 4 on it. Where can I find a parts store that has all four motor mounts? I am in great need of the driver's side motor mount for my 1992 Eclipse GS.

I have a stock 94 Laser RS and need the front motor mount and the trans mount. Can't afford dealer prices, where can I get them, or can someone on here sell me a pair?
Thanks.

Originally posted by jmc94gsx
The rubber can deteriorate to the point of providing a really poor mounting point, I have already seen motor mounts fail on a car. The hell with a dealership, get to a salvage yard and go on the trader and find a person who is parting out a car. The passenger side especially because it's a trans mount, having the motor and trans secure is very important and mechanical problems can be a result if there is too much play.

-What are you talking about? That's a totally contradicting statement, you said the MM is very important, then you said screw the new MM from dealer but instead to get an used MM from the junk yard. Rubber material in on the MM is aged by time & heat, if the MM of the original poster is damage then won't the MM from a 90 DSM in the juck yard also cracked or about to crack?

Originally posted by panther punk
I have a stock 94 Laser RS and need the front motor mount and the trans mount. Can't afford dealer prices, where can I get them, or can someone on here sell me a pair?
Thanks.

-Road///Race or some other place carry a MM replacement set, need to press out the old rubber.
-If you want something even cheaper, try 3M™ Window-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane 08609 Black, 10 fl oz Cartridge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back