The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Motor mount question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloead

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 22, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
So my 93 AWD Talon came with prothane motor mount inserts. Car vibrates like crazy and I hate it. (funny to think ~10 years ago i loved crap like this).

I went on rockauto and bought a set of rubber mounts all the way around. So far I've replaced everything but the rear motor mount by the firewall.

When I pulled the rear mount off and compared it to what I bought - the new mount looked to be 2" taller than the old mount. I did not take a picture of what I have in the car now but the new mount is Anchor 8105, pictured here:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The mount that is currently in my car does not have as much metal between the mount and the bolt holes.

I didn't attempt to install it because it just looked too far off to me, didn't want to fight getting it in there to only have the engine not lift high enough to bolt up.

Any ideas? Did I order the wrong mount?

Thanks!!

Is that mount for an AUTOMATIC? I have the rear mount from Rock Auto and it isn't that tall. I never used mine because I went with Poly's so its still in the box. I will have to look at it but I think there is a difference between the auto and standard trans mounts so you might check that out.

Rock Auto says part number 8686, is it an AWD?

Is that mount for an AUTOMATIC? I have the rear mount from Rock Auto and it isn't that tall. I never used mine because I went with Poly's so its still in the box. I will have to look at it but I think there is a difference between the auto and standard trans mounts so you might check that out.

Rock Auto says part number 8686, is it an AWD?

I have no idea, according to rock auto its the correct part for a AWD MANUAL car.. which is what mine is.

Not seeing 8686 anywhere

Ah, 8686 is the transmission mount. I'm talking about the rear motor mount here.

The Roll Stop perhaps? In the back or on the Pass side?

?? Rear motor mount. The back of the motor. There's only one rear motor mount.

The one i bought is taller than what's in there.

I wonder if Anchor is just selling the wrong part or what. But thanks for the info. I'll try AZ/Advance or something.

Is this what you are needing?

Is this what you are needing?

Idk how blind you are but I've said more than once in here that I was talking about the rear motor mount. You keep posting about the trans mount and I don't know why :(

Well I tried to help. There are 2 motor mounts and 2 roll stops. I'm sure someone ELSE will help you. And the Advance Auto guys are much more knowledgeable. Good luck on that motor mount.

Well I tried to help. There are 2 motor mounts and 2 roll stops. I'm sure someone ELSE will help you. And the Advance Auto guys are much more knowledgeable. Good luck on that motor mount.

?? serviceguy did help and I ordered the correct mount from another source and returned the FWD motor mount that was shipped to me. No parts catalog I've seen calls a motor mount a roll stop. You confusing yourself over that term is not helping anyone.

Good deal. Did it end up being the 8686 mount or an entirely different one? When I pulled up rock auto, 93, talon, transmission, standard that is the one that they list. If that listing is wrong it would be good for all to know.

Here is where you will find that term used. I had to do this mod for my HX40 also so sorry about the confusion.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/hx40-oil-drain-issues.441091/

Last edited:
If you want to make sure and always order the correct part the only way is to download CAPS or even better ASA a search your own part numbers before placing an order. That way you can use your VIN, determine the correct part number and use it as a reference on the vendor website. If they send you the wrong part you can always argue that you order a replacement for P/N MBXXXXXX as per their website. I am having the same problem with RockAuto.com right now, trying to order an AC Delco GM part but their search by Make/Model/Trim doesn't return the same results as a GM original parts website. With millions of parts available I guess they're bound to have some hiccup every now and then, probably still a 99.9999999% accuracy rate. I love RockAuto!

For what it's worth, Marty is correct in regards to Mitsubishi's terminology for the front and rear "roll stoppers". Note also that these are referred to as RIGHT HAND and LEFT HAND because the REAR of the engine is technically the transmission side. The following are from CAPS and ASA, respectively, Mitsubishi's own programs:

It's no big deal and I'm sorry for the confusion. Just glad that the correct part is on its way for the person needing it. We all need help sometime and this forum is for help so if I was using bad terminology then I sure apologize to any and all that I confused. :hellyeah:
But in the end......I WAS RIGHT and no one admitted their own ignorance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back