The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Motor Build Dilemna, Need Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolv4v8

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2002
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
OK its time to build a motor for my GSX so I can start to push this turbo a little harder. For starters, here is my mod list: 98 GSX, SBR GT13 60 trim, ported 2g mani, o2 dump, Dejon FMIC and piping, 780cc injectors, 255 pump, CAS AFPR, S-AFC, and the other basic mods are done too.
Here is what I was planning:
Bottom End:
7 bolt block, 95 pistons, 1G rods
New bearings
BS eliminator
ARP head bolts
New timing belt stuff
Water pump
Cometic head gasket
My main questions on this is will the block need any machine work? Or can I just pull the motor and do it right away and put it back in? Down the road I will most likely build a 6 bolt to swap out, I am basically on a budget for the bottom end this year so I can do the headwork now.
Here is the headwork:
HKS 272/272 Cams
FPH Intake Manifold
FPH head, ss valves, full portwork, valve job, basically everything
New lifters
1G TB

Basically the other question I have is are there any sensors or anything else I should replace when I install all of this? BTW I should have a DSMLink setup in the next month too. Thanks for any help.

You call that being on a budget?OMG

Anyway, the only way for you to tell if the block needs machining is to actually look at it. Being a 98, I would say it doesn't need it but you still have to check. Make sure you replace all gaskets/seals while you're in there, obviously. Good luck. That thing is gonna be beast.:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back