The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Motor Blew, suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

street sleeper

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2002
MN
yesterday, I noticed a knock coming from my block. I was pretty worried so I headed strait home, but on the way home the knock was getting worse, and then all of a sudden I hear a bunch of loud noises, and I see a bunch of shit coming out of my car in the rearview, so I pull over, and pop my hood and there was smoke coming from cyl 1, and my crank pulley had flown off and hit a bunch of shit. but anyways I dropped the oil pan and GOODBYE rods they were done.
so my question is does anybody have any good suggestions for a rebuild, I'm on a budget, but im not gonna cut corners. I was thinking maybe some eagle rods and some 2g pistons, or should I go with some aftermarket pistons. any one have any opinions on a good headgasket, ect, and if any one can think of any thing else I would need.
my goal is to have a decent street car that I can take to the trtack on weekends, I would like around 350 WHP so if anyone has any opinions they are welcome.
-thanks-

6 bolt rods are easy to come by on the trader. Usually around 100 bucks or so.

I would suggest going with Weisco pistons. They are about the same price as new 2G pistons, but offer more customization options and are a bit stronger. Eagle rods can also be a good alternative to 1G rods. They're about same strength but much better balanced.

For head gasket, I suggest Mitsu Ralli gasket. Have any performance shop balance your crank as well. That will allow you to rev to atleast 8K safely. You might also want to look into crank oil scraper (look on ebay). It will drammatically drop oil turbulence inside your crank case. It is pretty cheap.

I would also suggest having some work done to your head. You don't relly need to port/polish it for the power level you're after, but I suggest redecking it (and the block) and going with stronger valve train, such as crower. It is also a good idea to redo valve seats at that time. You don't need oversized valves, but you may want to look into getting stronger forged valves.

While you have the engine out, take care of your fuel delivery as well. If you seriously plan to stop at 350hp, then don't worry about stock fuel hard-line, otherwise look into upgrading it to bigger, braided line. In either case, add FPR and inline filter to your fuel system. Get rid of the stock filter. Walboro 190lph would be a good choice for your setup if you don't have it yet.

Also, while engine is out, get yourself at least one adjustable cam gear (for exhaust cam). Check ProStreetOnline.com for benefits of adjusting exhaust timing.

You may want to look into swaping your internal oil cooler for '90 DSM external oil cooler and housing. Iternal is too fragile and coolant galleries are easily crushed when filter is overtightened.

If you have AC, you may want to remove it completely (unless you need it).

And finally, (and you already know it) replace ALL belts and remove balance shafts, replace O2 sensor.

There is a lot of stuff here, but it's not as expensive as you may think. Especially if you will do the work yourself.

um....i went with the ross/eagle combo. real nice pieces. but if you decide to buy 1g big rods I have a set for you. perfect shape. $100

actually if I could do it over I would use the 1g big rods with ross or wiseco pistons....would've saved some nice coin and still had a strong ass motor.

What thickness on the headgasket? Are the metal ones better?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back