1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Motive Powerbleeder custom brake cap

Posted by Detail, Aug 11, 2016

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I recently picked up a motive power bleeder to aid the bleeding of brakes on the 6-7 cars of my friends and I have to do.

Here is what I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produ...474&sr=8-1&keywords=motive+power+bleeder+0117

For the nissans it was very straight forward. Take the cap, screw it on. Test it doesn't leak, and proceed to fill and bleed.

There is no Mitsubishi style cap. Motive wants you to use a generic cap that you then clamp down to insure it doesn't leak.

I'm sure you can modify a factory cap to pressurize the system. Have any of you done this? Have pics???

Detail

372  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

757  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.000 @ 109.000 · 2G DSM
  2. talon77

talon77 Proven Member

Joined Sep 12, 2004
    annapolis, Maryland
    I intend to get a Motive as well and pick up a junkyard Mitsubishi brake master cylinder cap and install a barbed fitting similar to this:
    http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/jettatech/bleeder/Dsc05483.jpg

It's been years since I've used an old Motive Powerbleeder that I had before, but I recall it only needs to hold like 10psi at the most.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Road Race Build 3K  17

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    345 whp · 318 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  3. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    The cap I have. The barb I'll grab at home depot this weekend. The real question for me is how you seal the cap on the underside. Our little rubber diaphragm doesn't look like it's going to seal the cap to the master cylinder when pressurized. This seems especially true once I have to cut a whole through it to allow the barb. I'm wondering if we need to find some other form of seal to squish inside.

Thoughts?

372  5

awd · manual · 2G DSM

757  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Here is what I use, it's a little more, but works great as long as you clean it and don't let fluid sit in it (obviously).

In conjunction with a clamp-on gravity resevoir on top, I've never had an issue, and when on a lift I can bleed all 4 corners on about 10-15 min, 20 min on the ground.

Granted, you would need at least a pancake compressor to run this, so the self-pump power bleeder may be more practical for some.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

Street Build 198  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

287  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 838  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I'm in the middle of this. I have a motive init. I modified it with a Schrader valve and use an air hose with a pressure regulator attached. For the master I went to the junkyard and got a stock Mitsubishi cap I can modify. That's the part I haven't done yet. Simple hose barb. I'm going to cut the diaphragm middle out so that cap still seals.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. ACM

ACM Proven Member

Joined Dec 11, 2002
    Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
    I tried modifying a stock reservoir cap.

The cap and diaphragm are designed not to seal - at least, the diaphragm seals to the reservoir, but the cap does not seal to the diaphragm - intentionally, as air has to enter between the diaphragm and the cap to allow the diaphragm to move with the fluid as the level drops.

It is quite difficult to get the cap to seal sufficiently well - even when I was absolutely certain I had a good seal, I still sprayed brake fluid all over the place.

This was with a 2G, I don't know whether the 1G cap would be equally uncooperative.

7. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    ACM,
    I think you're going to be correct. My cap is now modded. I still intend to put a clamp around it and give it a shot. I'll obviously do a dry run with the pump before even thinking about adding fluid. Hopefully I don't take a bath in fluid.

372  5

awd · manual · 2G DSM

757  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  8. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Update. My modified cap (at stupid expense) Did not seal. I thought it would. I clamped it to be sure. It still failed. Back to the drawing board. :banghead:

372  5

awd · manual · 2G DSM

757  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  9. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    How about an oring Inside the lip of the cap. Im disappointed here.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. LV-DSM

LV-DSM Supporting VIP

Joined Oct 6, 2002
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No luck here with the Motive either. I modified my cap and attempted to seal it with RTV. Fluid still found a weak spot and dumped everywhere. In the end, Speedbleeders or gravity seem to be your best bet on this system.

855  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM

484  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    13.631 @ 100.920 · 1G DSM
  11. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    I really didn't like the power bleeder myself. Can't recall what solution I had for the cap problem as I used that like... 14 years ago. The whole thing was kludgy to use.

To keep my life simple I use a simple brake fluid bottle that hangs from my caliper and has check valve between the bottle and the caliper in-line. I have this one at the moment:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MXW2EM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't like speed bleeders anymore after having them leak a few times before. Can't take risks on a track only car and the in-line valve is basically the same thing without the risk.

Road Race Build 13K  12  371

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    377 whp · 416 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  12. MIdsm

MIdsm Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2003
    SW MI, Michigan
    They used to sell a universal cap. It was a large cap (3" or 4") with a rubber seal on the bottom and a fitting in the middle. They used j-hook bolts and a piece of chain to secure the cap to MC or MC reservoir. You could probably make one fairly easily. A piece of rubber, a piece of thick hdpe cutting board, a piece of chain and two modified bolts and nuts.

Good luck

13. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I still found a use for the unit. The best way I've found to move gear oil is under pressure so I use this to fill the trans. I also drilled a hole in the unit added a schraeder valve amd use a regulated source of air to pump fluid.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    It works awesome on all my other cars. Just going to have to go generic for the talon. The chains are a complete waste of time. Plastic C clamps for woodworking work great at holding the generic mounts on. I just have to build one now.

372  5

awd · manual · 2G DSM

757  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD