The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Most embarrassing DSM moment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope this thread keeps going. not to laugh at others' misfortune or lessons learned, but it helps me feel a little better that others make mistakes too.

the guy trying to race the unmarked cars in the FD is the best one though!

Well so far I had a real nice one today. Today is my girls birthday, so I thought id take her for a ride on the dragon (us129). Yea well that didn't happen, got the car warmed up go down the driveway and try to go like heck out onto the road. Only the car falls on its face, nothing over 2000 rpm under a load. Had to limp it about a mile up and down the mountain to get turned around and get home, in first gear none the less, took forever. Get home to find a plug wire had a hole burnt in it.

First day after my first round of maintenance and mods were finished, I had my first autocross race in Peru (a little over an hour away from my house). About halfway there my rear brake pads fell off of the car because I put 95 rotors on a car that had 94 calipers- vented vs. nonvented. Then about 10 mins from the track my alternator blew up and the car died on the highway. After limping it to a gas station, I drove my truck (my friend was following me in it) home to borrow my cousins car dolly. The talon was too low and also on a dead battery. After 10 hours and ripping the front end off I finally got it on the dolly only to realize you cant tow an awd on a dolly. then 2 more hours and help from a few of the racers, I got the driveshaft dropped and drove home. 15 hours and didnt even make it to the track. Most epic fail of a day Ive had with my car.

Hopefully you didn't fid out you can't tow an awd car on a dolly the hard way. Guessing you mea. You dropped the drive shaft and put it on the dolly. I don't see you fwd driving anywhere on no rear pads, a dead battery and a blown alternator LOL.

Yea... I know someone who found that out the hard way. It's pretty strange to be able to hear the fluid at the diff boiling standing beside the car. Needless to say, it was completely destroyed.

Ok I got one. I had just left the school and was taking the girlfriend at the time home. All of the sudden this civic came Rollin up to me and kept reving his engine. Trying to get me to race him I looked over at her and she said go for it. So I slammed it down into 3rd and put the pedal to the floor and just leaving that civic behind. I banged 4th heard a clunk but just kept going. About 10 seconds later I heard an extremely loud pop come from under the car, so I pulled over to realize my clutch pedal was dead........she walked the rest of the way home. She wasn't happy

Hmmm. Most embarrassing moment was letting my now ex borrow the my old ESi for a day for a job interview. Got it back with a rod thrown through the block and trans. Asked him what he was doing and he took it joy riding and raced it a few times until cylinder 3 was stripped cause he blew the heli coil out of it. And then he continued beating on it. Needless to say I was pissed and totally embarressed for even knowing him.

Another good one was when I was doing donuts in a caldusac and hit some ice and skidded right into a giabt snow drift. Lol. Or when i lived in chicago and someone mistook my car for a snow drift during the blizzard of 2011. Someine smashed the backend of my car with a plow. While it was in the driveway.

I don't know if anyone actually saw this but it was pretty embarassing in the moment haha. I was walking out of a store at the mall and was heading back to my grey GS and I opened the door, got in and my key wouldn't turn in the ignition.

I sat there for a couple seconds thinking maybe the wheel locked and so I was twisting the wheel and trying to turn the key at the same time. Still no luck. I pull out the key and start looking at it and it looked fine. After inspecting the key for a second I started looking around and what do you know? This wasn't my car. It was a grey GS just like mine parked in the general area that I parked and they must have left the door unlocked! HAHA!

I got out and looked around, then walked a few cars over to my car and drove off. Still makes me laugh when I think about this and also makes me wonder how many people have gotten in my GS since I never lock it either... LOL

Ha! I always get funny looks when I am holding the hatch up with the top of my head putting stuff in the back. I must look retarded while doing so. That must have hurt though when it came down on you!

I have a cross-style lug wrench that fits perfectly between the hatch and the body, and holds my hatch up for me.

Hmmm. Most embarrassing moment was letting my now ex borrow the my old ESi for a day for a job interview. Got it back with a rod thrown through the block and trans. Asked him what he was doing and he took it joy riding and raced it a few times until cylinder 3 was stripped cause he blew the heli coil out of it. And then he continued beating on it. Needless to say I was pissed and totally embarressed for even knowing him.

Another good one was when I was doing donuts in a caldusac and hit some ice and skidded right into a giabt snow drift. Lol. Or when i lived in chicago and someone mistook my car for a snow drift during the blizzard of 2011. Someine smashed the backend of my car with a plow. While it was in the driveway.

I hope you kicked him in the balls. Seriously. That sort of asshattery really makes him a candidate to be filmed for YouTube being beaten senseless with a wet sock full of dogshit while wearing a sign that says "Stoopid" (yes, spelled wrong). You just don't do that to other people's car. That's basic respect. A car in general is complex enough that the only person who really knows what it is and is not capable of is the owner... And that goes triple for a modified sports car. You don't mess with it like that without the owner. Ever.

ROFL if you didn't beat him with the shitsock then, you should go do so now and blame me for making you do it. I don't mind taking the heat for something like that. :D

Last edited:
When I was a junior in highschool, a buddy and I were coming back from our lunch brake. There was about a foot of fresh snow in the parking lot, wanting to show off my awesome driving skills I got up to about 40mph and ripped the e-brake and slid sideways for about 50 feet; I completely forgot that my window was down. My ENTIRE car was filled with about 2 inches of snow.

I have literally put the back side brake pad backwards on the wrong side of a dodge truck. Had to replace a rotor LOL.

First date with this one girl and the car decideds to eat the alternator belt. So me being me, I have a set of tools in the trunk and Have to stop at advanced, get a belt, install it, then pop the clutch to get it started again. Was horrible. We ended up missing the movie showing we had selected because we had to ride around to charge the battery.

I hope you kicked him in the balls. Seriously. That sort of asshattery really makes him a candidate to be filmed for YouTube being beaten senseless with a wet sock full of dogshit while wearing a sign that says "Stoopid" (yes, spelled wrong). You just don't do that to other people's car. That's basic respect. A car in general is complex enough that the only person who really knows what it is and is not capable of is the owner... And that goes triple for a modified sports car. You don't mess with it like that without the owner. Ever.

ROFL if you didn't beat him with the shitsock then, you should go do so now and blame me for making you do it. I don't mind taking the heat for something like that. :D

Lol. He's already in jail. Apparently he was crazier than I thought. But I broke up with him that day and then forced him to find me a new car to replace it since he wrecked it. Fair's fair. I like the tsi awd much better anyway.

But i did just think of the truly most embarrassing moment. I drove down here from chicago to look at my current car. Bought it, put nee brake calipers on it, then drove it home. Never drove a turbo charged car before. Two hours from home in the il state capital, i hit a construction zone. Slowed down, and then when i passed the safe sign, i hit the gas. Car immediately goes from 55 to 97. Right past a cop. Before i could react, i was being pulled over. I had no tags, since i just bought the car. No insurance, again since i just bought it. And i had to drive two hours to court 2 months later. I argued with them to keep my license, which they let me. And had ti pay 400 bucks. It sucked. And i was almost late to thr court date cause i stopped at a junkyard along the way and left my wallet on top of the car when i left. Found it later after it had been run over by a semi. That day all around sucked. Lol. But at least i got a good solid car.

When I was a junior in highschool, a buddy and I were coming back from our lunch brake. There was about a foot of fresh snow in the parking lot, wanting to show off my awesome driving skills I got up to about 40mph and ripped the e-brake and slid sideways for about 50 feet; I completely forgot that my window was down. My ENTIRE car was filled with about 2 inches of snow.

Nice! Not car related, but my mom got snow fights banned from my high school cause one of my friends hit her in the face with a giant snowball. Lol. I gave the kid a highbfive for that one. Lol

But i did just think of the truly most embarrassing moment. I drove down here from chicago to look at my current car. Bought it, put nee brake calipers on it, then drove it home. Never drove a turbo charged car before. Two hours from home in the il state capital, i hit a construction zone. Slowed down, and then when i passed the safe sign, i hit the gas. Car immediately goes from 55 to 97. Right past a cop. Before i could react, i was being pulled over. I had no tags, since i just bought the car. No insurance, again since i just bought it. And i had to drive two hours to court 2 months later. I argued with them to keep my license, which they let me. And had ti pay 400 bucks. It sucked. And i was almost late to thr court date cause i stopped at a junkyard along the way and left my wallet on top of the car when i left. Found it later after it had been run over by a semi. That day all around sucked. Lol. But at least i got a good solid car.

Nice! Not car related, but my mom got snow fights banned from my high school cause one of my friends hit her in the face with a giant snowball. Lol. I gave the kid a highbfive for that one. Lol

Ha. I would have let you off the hook for slowing down in the construction zone and then hauling ass afterwards. haha. Still would have pulled you over though... make you feel like you regret doing it.

Ha. I would have let you off the hook for slowing down in the construction zone and then hauling ass afterwards. haha. Still would have pulled you over though... make you feel like you regret doing it.

I thought about evading and took the exit right there, but decided it wasn't worth getting in more trouble. Lol.

Another good one was my first oil change gone wrong.

I was all excited to change my own oil and parked the car in back and went into the garage to get the jack and stands. Stands were there, but someone had jacked my car jack. So i borrowed my parents'. Got it on the stands, got my tools out, new drain plug sitting next to the box, got the drain pan ready. Went inside to get some cardboard to lay on and the oil and filter. Came back and the drain plug had disappeared. Looked everywhere and came to the conclusion that a bird had stolen it. So i went and bought a new one. Came back, got up under the car, and couldn't get good enough leverage to get the drain plug off. By now I was so frustrated that i threw everything aside, put the car back on the ground, drove it to my favoriye shop, handed over the oil, filter and plug and told them it was their problem now. Drove it home afterwards and opened the hatch to put the tools away and what do i find in the little ledges where the supports lie? The lost drain plug. I just walked back into the house humiliated. Lol

Soo, today my friends reminded me of another embarrassing dsm moment. It was right after I got my license. I went to hang out with 3 of my friends, I no more Then pulled up in my eclipse and they was like take us for a ride in your car. Well we all know our back seats are tiny and I'm 6,2 and had to move my seat up pretty far. Well it made it harder to shift, needless to say I missed a shift going pretty fast and the car literally ate the alternator belt......

Not as embarrassing as some of the stories I read but I was leaving school in my 1g gs back in high-school and I backed out put it in first took off normal then shifted then pshhhh motor blew.

Most embarrassing moment for me was when a buddy and I went to pick up an eclipse for him. Car broke down at the bottom of the Mobile tunnel. So I had to use his truck to push him out while traffic was all backed up. People were pretty pissed. And once pushed out, we towed the car with straps to a gas station. Well I had the liberty of being in the eclipse to keep the slack. And while pulling up to a stop sigh, the brakes stopped working and the straps became lose. And once he pulled away, the car jerked forward like a bull and gave me whiplash. Funny part was the car had "runs great" written on the side.

One of my best ones, came when I was changing the oil in my GSX. I didn't forget the drain plug, or double gasket it or anything like that. I was just about to take the stands out, and my phone rang. Since I have crappy reception in my garage I went upstairs to take the call. Well I went back down, finished taking the car off the stands. Hopped in, to go dump my oil pan. Started backing out, and of course the stereo was going pretty good so I couldn't really hear anything unusual. I got up to about 35 and thought I heard something dragging. I wasn't even 150 yards from my house, so I just continued around the block. When I started to pull in the driveway, the dragging stopped. So I finished pulling in and got out to look. Well needless to say I didn't have to go dump my drain pan, BUT I did have to buy a new one. That happened about 5 months ago. To this day you can see exactly which way I went that day.

One of my best ones, came when I was changing the oil in my GSX. I didn't forget the drain plug, or double gasket it or anything like that. I was just about to take the stands out, and my phone rang. Since I have crappy reception in my garage I went upstairs to take the call. Well I went back down, finished taking the car off the stands. Hopped in, to go dump my oil pan. Started backing out, and of course the stereo was going pretty good so I couldn't really hear anything unusual. I got up to about 35 and thought I heard something dragging. I wasn't even 150 yards from my house, so I just continued around the block. When I started to pull in the driveway, the dragging stopped. So I finished pulling in and got out to look. Well needless to say I didn't have to go dump my drain pan, BUT I did have to buy a new one. That happened about 5 months ago. To this day you can see exactly which way I went that day.

You should get a picture LOL

How about this? Or this?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357853232878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357853232878.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357853305713.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357853305713.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 66

ROFL! Hooray for epic oil change disasters! XD

Not as embarrassing as some of the stories I read but I was leaving school in my 1g gs back in high-school and I backed out put it in first took off normal then shifted then pshhhh motor blew.

I had a similar story when I was a senior. Only mine was the water pump. Pulled up to a stop sign two weeks after buying my first 97 ESi and as soon as I came to a stop, the car died on me. My radio was blasting, so I didn't hear the loud gunshot sound it made, but everyone on the block came out to see what happened and I'm sitting there staring at the antifreeze pouring down the side of the road. That was a sad day.

And then there was the stupid Jetta that destroyed that car a year later. I went to pass cause the one lane was clear while the other was backed up and some idiot decided to pull out of a parking lot as I was already in mid lane change. I swearved back into the lane I was coming from to avoid getting tboned and smashed into the Jetta that had stopped dead. Instant total. So I bought a new radiator, ziptied it in, and duck taped the hood back on and drove it around another six months until I got the money for a new one. That made me cry. That was the most reliable Talon I've ever seen.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back