The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Most efficient intercooler cores...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enraged78

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
South Windsor, Connecticut
Group,

I'm starting to run into the limits of what my current FMIC can deliver in terms of cooling. I have a very nice aluminum pipe setup, large oil cooler in the driver's side well, and bumper support removed already. I've hacked my bumper to the limit's that I'm willing to take it, but still need more cooling.

That being said, I want to upgrade my intercooler core to something that is either 20x9x3 or 20x9x3.25. I have a PTE 5557 that's pushing 21PSI with meth, and want to get to about 25-26PSI on the street. I already have some good endtanks and piping, so I want to transplant a new core in there that will give me the most efficiency in the space that I have. I'm seeing a tremendous amount of variance on core design, so my question for the group is: Who makes the most efficient cores per square inch? I'm planning on cutting my old end tanks off, and ideally sticking a 20x9x3.25 in there to get the most amount of surface area that I can fit without getting rid of my oil cooler or piping.

Thanks,
Matt

I've been using the VRSF FMIC with my HX40 setup pushing 30psi. IAT's post IC have only been at most 25* higher than ambient depending on how hard I run.

best intercooler for the money? - Page 3 - Club Lexus Forums

read some of that thread on intercoolers. They bring up some good point and also include tons of pictures so you can see hwo the fin are designed by different companies, including ebay intercoolers.

From personal experience, I have used garrett intercooler cores and have never been happier (ETS intercoolers). They soak up heat great and if you look at the link above, I thin its post #42, they show the garrett find design.

Thanks, guys. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I really like the precision cores to be honest. I like the idea of the VRSF intercoolers, but the last time I checked, they were out on backorder for 2Gs.

I'm very curious about the fin design of precision cores vs. the VRSF. I know that the VRSF can do some great things, but it is a HUGE core that requires some cutting to get it to fit. If I had a choice between two cores that could cool the same CFM of air to the same temperature, and one was larger and less efficient, and one smaller but more efficient, I'd take the smaller one. Less weight is good, especially on the front of the car.

Thanks,
Matt

VRSF will have 2G kits the first week of April if you are still interested. I decided to go with the ETD Motors eBay (CXRacing) kit. I am not looking to make more than 350 HP or run more than 25 PSI. I would have gone with the VRSF kit if I had the extra money for the BOV and J pipe though. I did get black couplers with my eBay kit instead of the ricer blue ones. No offense to those who like blue, but my entire setup and color scheme are black and I don't really like the idea of drawing extra attention to my mods, especially the ones bought on cheapBay.

I have the older Buschur street FMIC core on my 1G AWD; got a great deal on the kit used and sold the Punishment kit I had initially purchased and never installed. I should have taken side-by-side photos, but the Buschur core had three more rows of fins despite the cores being nearly identical in size. Much more efficient than the Punishment core.

TalonDave is running an old DeJon core on his race car, and he's seeing no knock with Q16 race fuel and boost in the low 30's with his HX40. Mild bumper trimming done on the car as well; nothing too hideous to expose the core a little.

Has anyone used the Vibrant Racing cores before? I have a local shop that can get me a good price on the 22X9X3.25 core. This would net me an intercooler that is 48% larger than I have right now, but would occupy the same space that my current intercooler takes up. The fins aren't as perforated as the Garrett or Precision cores, but the core is VERY beefy. It looks like if I took an extra inch off of my end tanks, it would fit in there perfectly.

I had them run the part numbers for the Garrett core and the Precision core, but was told that neither model that fits my dimensions is made anymore. Anyone know where I can get a 20x9x3 Garrett or Precision core from? Any vendors online that can get something like this?

I looked at the VRSF core again, and it looks like it might not work for my application. The cold side is no problem, but the hot side runs right where my oil cooler is taking refuge in my driver's side well.

Any other ideas you guys can offer are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the post, agentorange. Well, it looks like the Garrett cores are out due to lack of flow to the radiator. It's either a PTE core if I can find one, or a Vibrant.

Thanks,
Matt

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back