The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

More fuel will these 550s work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I do have 4 550s in the car. I just found that it is a pain to tune the car at low boost or Idle with really large injectors along with a high flowing fuel pump. Also the e manage can control them so why not.

the intake manifold on our cars was designed to flow air not an air fuel mixture. It would be optimal to just upgrade to 550s in the stock location but it will work.

it will work, though it would probably work better if you had had the injectors angled instead of perpendicular to the spacer?

i plan on doing something similar except with a set of 360s or 240s, and using either a 3Bar map sensor & adjustable voltage siwtches, or a pair of hobbes pressure switches to control them.

Your idea will work, but not optimally. The fuel will hit the wall and then pool, you want it to stay atomized as much as possible.

This style is more of what you will want to do:

Attachments

• superfueler.jpg
    superfueler.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 354
I have them installed in my car so far no problems. I don't think it is possible for the fuel to "pool" under boost. I don't think the fuel would "pool" at idle. The injectors spray a really good pattern.

Originally posted by CraigB
I have them installed in my car so far no problems. I don't think it is possible for the fuel to "pool" under boost. I don't think the fuel would "pool" at idle. The injectors spray a really good pattern.

raped is right. It's not a matter of opinion but fact. The manifold was NOT designed to distribute fuel. You will end up with lean cylinders and rich cylinders and fuel WILL puddle in a a plenum like ours. You'll find out when you backfire your IC pipes off or blow an endtank off.

The general rule is up to about 75hp worth of fuel is no big deal. After that it's a gamble.

Unless watching Lyle Holmes roll out of his car on fire at E-Town after a backfire blew his intake apart when he sprayed fuel into his plenum for the nitrous was just a dream.

I will install a egt sensor in each runner of my manifold to see if this is true. Should be able to have it done in a month I will let you know if it is a fact.

Or if anyone on this board that already has a emanage or another way to control them and has 4 egts I will give them one of these spacers for someone else to test.

Water injection will not cause dangerous backfire...

Our manifolds are NOT designed to carry fuel like some other intake manifolds.

But why inject gasoline when you can use propane? It has much better atomization and is a gas, therefore it will not puddle in the intake manifold. Along with that it is higher octane than pump gas, and distributes better in the cylinder.

just my take on all this

Propane would work well but I do not really want a extra tank for it in my car.

I know the intake on our is not made to be a wet manifold but I think this will work well. I know that it would be better to place 4 more injectors in the runners. I do not want to pay for a AEM or a Haltech to run them. I think that this spacer along with the e manage will work for the goals I have set.

I have 4 mopar 550's which cost me $36 for each new (sieman dekas). The spacer can hold any injector that will fit in our fuel rail. I have about $100 in the spacer.

Now if I go with 720s or larger injectors they will cost alot more than than the spacer and injectors. With the large injectors my idle will suck and the car is a pain to tune on the low end. I still like to drive my car on the street and I don't want the problems that come along with large injectors.

Here is another link about sub injectors

http://www.wave.co.nz/~hksnz/techfiles/leanrunning.html

I'm going to agree with the other guys, I think it's an allright idea, but unless it works perfect you WILL get pooling... on a side note, where did you get the 550's for 36 dollars each? Are they any good?

Originally posted by CraigB

Now if I go with 720s or larger injectors they will cost alot more than than the spacer and injectors. With the large injectors my idle will suck and the car is a pain to tune on the low end. I still like to drive my car on the street and I don't want the problems that come along with large injectors.

The idea of multiple additional injectors is not new and a good number of the bigger 'racers' use them to account for air flow and other add ons. They however, have massive amount of air flow and need the fuel and don't do it because they are afraid of 'Idle Issues'. However, I run 720's, it idles like stock, and have virtually no issues at low throttle, off boost situations.

Don't blame a part that has been proven to work in numerous street cars many times before for bad tuning. Maybe you should get help tuning your car right instead of working around the problem.

How much air are you planning on flowing? Seriously. I would only look at going this route if I was going to out flow much bigger injectors. For instance, I could see this scenario happening if you were already running 660's or 720's and still needed more fuel at WOT but didn't want to try and idle 850's. But you are aren't there yet, as far as you have told us.

Well I plan to run a T3/T4 60 trim at 24 psi it is not the largest of turbos but I think it will produce plenty of power. I might also upgrade to a GT-35. I'm not afraid of tuning idle problems I just not going to pay more money for them, 720s are over $400. I have well under 300 into this spacer and the injectors.

The 550s I have you can get from any Dodge dealer. They are for the Shelby turbo cars.

As for pooling in the intake I can see it if you do not have a AIC. Some people have tried sub injectors turned on by pressure switches and had problems. I don't see any problem with proper tuning of the sub injectors.

My friend had 65lb injectors in his tsi with a 60-1 his car's idle sucked unless you turned the base fuel pressure down to around 20 psi. Then at high boost it would lean out with base fuel pressure around 40psi it would not lean out but it at idle it was way to rich. He tried base fuel pressures in between 20 and 40 could never make the car happy. I'm sure with a stand alone it can be done with no problems. Even with the emanage adjustments he was never really happy with the low end and idle. On a side note he did not have the add. injector harness.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back