The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G More Engine Problems (4G63)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDude236

Proven Member
Mar 15, 2021
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
My engine loves to act up...
I was in my car, with the the battery on so the Air was running, as well as the radio, when I then tried to start the car. The car started with a bit of a jolt, and ran at 100-200 RPM's for about 2 seconds before bogging out and dying. "Weird" I thought, so I tried it again. Same thing. Last time I had this issue, a big hose in my vacuum line had disconnected itself, so I went to check on it to see if it was the problem, it was not. I inspected about all I could in the engine bay without jacking it up or going under it, checked oil, etc. Nothing super obvious was causing the issue. So, I called my dad, and around 30 minutes later he was there and looking over the engine with me. We started the car, and it started running pretty much exactly like it usually does. 900-1100 RPM's that is. Drove home fine, and it is now sitting in the driveway.

The facts I know:
I got the diagnosis of piston ring failure around a month ago, as well as some super low compression in cylinder 2 (around 50 compared to the 135-140 on the others) so I suspect that is to blame.
The battery wasn't the issue (could have been the starter though)
The oil was full
No severe leaks of any kind
Temps and Oil Pressure were exactly like they always were, the needle being just under the middle line on both.

Im pretty much just looking for a diagnosis here. I don't even have a clue what might be causing the issue due to my unfamiliarity with the engine. I will also be buying a compression gauge to measure the other cylinders compression.
I do have an extra coil pack handy, so I might end up swapping that around at some point (if it turns out to be the culprit).
Also, see the video in the following post to see my engine bay, and hear the car running after it made it home (the engine was running normally at this point, but I thought that there were some strange noises coming from something internally. I'm chalking it up to paranoia)

Hmm, it’s impossible to say. Sounds like a bad electrical connection to an important item like maybe the crank sensor or MAF. That’s usually the case with intermittent problems. Does the car have CELs?

Also, see the video in the following post to see my engine bay, and hear the car running after it made it home (the engine was running normally at this point, but I thought that there were some strange noises coming from something internally. I'm chalking it up to paranoia)
I don't hear anything that sticks out as abnormal, my engine sounds pretty much the exact same. The ticking is more than likely lifter tick. A set of 3G (3rd revision, not 3rd gen eclipse) lifters seems to be the best way to get rid of lifter tick from what I read on the forums here.

Hmm, it’s impossible to say. Sounds like a bad electrical connection to an important item like maybe the crank sensor or MAF. That’s usually the case with intermittent problems. Does the car have CELs?
A bad electrical connection is very likely, although it is something I will have to get to the bottom of later with the proper research. The car never threw a single CEL at me when it was starting rough, which I found very interesting.

I don't hear anything that sticks out as abnormal, my engine sounds pretty much the exact same.
Certainly good to hear! My dad was telling me the same thing but since he doesn't know much about these cars either, it's pretty much always mandatory that I double check on things like that.

It has happened once again! After about a 15 minute drive, I let it sit for 20 minutes, and came back and turned the car on. This time the car started at about 500 rpms and never bogged out, and had a very noticable lump in the idle. Felt a lot like a misfire from inside the cae.
I’ve attached the video of the car running while in those low rpms and you can even hear a bit of a misfire/strange engine noise if you listen really close, and even see it shake in its mounts a bit when I zoom the camera out.
Gonna check it out on a deeper level today, and most likely let it sit for a while until I figure out my next option, as I dont want to make it any worse than it is now.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Try changing your coolant temp sensor. Cheap fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back