The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

More boost and no more power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe_nasty

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Easton, Maryland
So i know this is a noob question but im just wondering why when i turn up my hallman boost controller, then take the car for a pull, its not any faster? ive tried turning it once, twice, and three turns. Feels about the same. Boost gauge reads the same as well.

Boost controller is hooked up from the turbo compressor housing and to the wastegate actuator.

had the same issue with my mbc. took about 15-20 turns from all the way out to notice an increase in pressure. if that doesnt work then it could be a boost leak.

Thanks for a completly worthless post.

Its a ball and spring. Turn it in to compress the spring to change the pressure it allows air past at. Your not overboosting so I'm going to assume its hooked up right.
All you have to do is keep turning till boost starts increasing. A couple minutes worth of searching and using your head and this thread would have never been made.

Why are you saying it makes it go faster and slower? Your throttle position will control that. This thread is done, I have a hallman, you need to compress the spring by turning it a good 15 times to notice a increase. I can understand if you just bought the car.

I figured it out. i just had to spin it a few more turns to see a result. im sorry i wasnt trying to be stupid. I just didnt wanna crank it too much and hurt my untuned motor.

Fortunately our cars are,stronger than that,LOL. Stock ecu works pretty good. Just because you're only set the basics didn't mean the rest wont work right. still runs factory maps.

Fortunately our cars are,stronger than that,LOL. Stock ecu works pretty good. Just because you're only set the basics didn't mean the rest wont work right. still runs factory maps.

If that is the case, what is the most boost you can run with new injectors, pump ,intake and exhaust?

What boost are you currently running and what are you trying to get up to? Running an untuned motor you shouldn't be messing with it at all.

im sorry i wasnt trying to be stupid. I just didnt wanna crank it too much and hurt my untuned motor.

Your post is an oxymoron. You shouldn't be turning it up at all if you're not tuned. I'm surprised your car is even running with the mods list in your profile. It is a nice list btw. Your injectors are almost double what the factory ECU was programmed for. It would be wise to get at least a good base tune down before cranking up the boost. And running DSMlink it shouldn't take too long to do. There are many write-ups, videos, and the ECMLink forums to help you.

So i know this is a noob question but im just wondering why when i turn up my hallman boost controller, then take the car for a pull, its not any faster? ive tried turning it once, twice, and three turns. Feels about the same. Boost gauge reads the same as well.
This may sound a bit like Kindergarten, but have you considered looking at your boost gauge?

If you have no gauge, do NOT change the boost level above stock.

This question is far too elementary for someone who knows anything about boosted cars. Do you think that simply turning up the boost will make your car go "faster"? What is you're end goal for this car? Do you have a set "Pea ess eye" you're looking to obtain? I'm in no way asking this to be a dick, it's a serious question. A lot of guys turn up their boost just to say they are running "21psi" yet their cars run like dick.

Also, get a wideband.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back