The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Modded 1G's w/ A/C in hot climates, step in here please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Hey guys, I'm trying to plan ahead for everything on my Talon that I need, and I'm up to the air conditioning portion. The car has an ETS front mount on it, and two mishimoto slim fans that I plan to ditch ASAP. Because the previous owner informed me it had an issue with overheating around town, even without A/C. That's hard for me to believe because it has an aftermarket aluminum radiator in it, and my old 1G with a VRSF front mount had zero issues with cooling even with a leaky HG/using coolant issue. It only overheated when it lost a certain amount of coolant.

So, my request to you 1G guys who have decent(350+awhp) setups and kept your A/C and powersteering with front mount intercoolers, in a hot(preferably tropical or like Arizona climate) area. How is your setup? Did you have to do anything special? Do you have stock fans? How are temps with your A/C on? Just your general cooling setup and information, even if its "I have a FMIC, A/C, and did absolutely nothing and temps are great" with some pictures is fine. I just want to get an idea of what I'm in for/what I need to plan for. It's been a very long time since my 1G.

For reference, the setup on the car before was a tubular T3 manifold/custom 02 housing, with no kind of heat shielding and sticking kinda close to the radiator. The setup going in now is gonna be Mitsubishi flanged bolt on(FP Green) with all the OEM heatshielding(for both turbine housing/02 housing, and manifold) so I think that'll help a ton. But still, all experience and comments/setups welcome.

I live in one of the hottest place and used to run the A/C, P/S with a ETS 4" thickness FMIC on my 1g. Maybe not the best but the setup below was just fine. I hadn't had any serious over heating issue.
The coolant temp occasionally got higher when in long traffic jam, but wasn't a big deal since it got lower when start to drive. (But I had never driven in super long traffic jam)

- Dual fan setup
- Stock radiator fan (Or Mishimoto Race Line 12") + a common slim fan on driver side.
- 108 kpa radiator cap
- Removed the front center garnish
- Heat shield on exhaust manifold

The point was if I used a common slim fan (doesn't matter what brand) instead of the stock or Mishimoto Race Line 12", the coolant temp obviously got higher.

I live in one of the hottest place and used to run the A/C, P/S with a ETS 4" thickness FMIC on my 1g. Maybe not the best but the setup below was just fine. I hadn't had any serious over heating issue.
The coolant temp occasionally got higher when in long traffic jam, but wasn't a big deal since it got lower when start to drive. (But I had never driven in super long traffic jam)

- Dual fan setup
- Stock radiator fan (Or Mishimoto Race Line 12") + a common slim fan on driver side.
- 108 kpa radiator cap
- Removed the front center garnish
- Heat shield on exhaust manifold

The point was if I used a common slim fan (doesn't matter what brand) instead of the stock or Mishimoto Race Line 12", the coolant temp obviously got higher.

If this was Mexico you're talking about, it's 100% what I'm looking for info wise. I'm gonna fight like hell to use both of the OG fans and just fab a custom charge pipe for the hot side of the intercooler, but if I have to it's good to know I'll be okay with a good quality SPAL puller. I don't plan on being in much traffic to be honest, so as long as it can handle a little/moderate traffic that's cool. But the OG owner was saying this one would pretty much overheat everywhere. Lol. Probably because the fans on this car suck, and all the open to air tubular turbo setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back