The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Mixing poly and rubber bushings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dat240zg

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2008
Rogers, Arkansas
First, I’ve searched (and found nothing). Second, I understand that by mixing rubber and poly bushings, I’m putting added stress on the rubber bushings and as a result they will most likely fail sooner.

With that out of the way - just for kicks and giggles - what are your thoughts: ‘91 TSi, AWD, daily driver. No plans on racing it, etc. All the bushings in the car are shot. I’d like to tighten it up without turning it in to a buzz bomb. Are there bushings that really need poly and others that could go rubber to lessen NVH?

Big boy flame suit on for protection...

I’ve heard some folks describe vibrations they can feel through the steering wheel after changing to poly motor mounts. That would certainly qualify as NVH. I feel like I have read more than once that the poly will actually wear out faster than rubber. To me the problem is getting a hold of all the factory correct rubber ones, which may now have been obsolete for years. If your old ones are generally shot, then poly will still be an upgrade, even if not quite the same as stock ones. Perhaps you’ll prefer their crisper feel?

I recently swapped out the stock rubber bushings on the front control arms, subframe & sway bar to ES poly's on my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual and I like the way they feel. Tight handling and good road feel but not so jarring as to make it unpleasant to drive on marginal roads. I also put in new tires, struts, ball joints and link connectors, all in the front, so it's hard to isolate whatever difference the bushings made and their specific "feel". But everything's stock-level, no true performance parts, and I like the way it all feels. I'm now starting to do the same on the rear.

Crispness - that’s a really good word for it. My thought is to go poly on the suspension bushings and rubber on the engine mounts. I feel like that going that route may give me the tightness that I'm looking for. What do you guys think?

I recently swapped out the stock rubber bushings on the front control arms, subframe & sway bar to ES poly's on my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual and I like the way they feel. Tight handling and good road feel but not so jarring as to make it unpleasant to drive on marginal roads. I also put in new tires, struts, ball joints and link connectors, all in the front, so it's hard to isolate whatever difference the bushings made and their specific "feel". But everything's stock-level, no true performance parts, and I like the way it all feels. I'm now starting to do the same on the rear.
I read your entire thread. Really good information. Your approach seems to be alot like my own. Anything that you would change if you did it again?

Crispness - that’s a really good word for it. My thought is to go poly on the suspension bushings and rubber on the engine mounts. I feel like that going that route may give me the tightness that I'm looking for. What do you guys think?
Polyurethane motor mounts increase nvh more so than others. I ramna full poly suspension on my 1g for years (and I still do on my 2g) but rubber motor mounts. I like it just fine. BTW I'm over 50 so I hate uncomfortable cars.

BTW brand will make a difference. Prothane durometer is higher than energy suspension.
I run energy suspension and I think nvh is acceptable. Is it stock? No. Is it harsh? No. The car dies not buzz. I think you're on the right path

Polyurethane motor mounts increase nvh more so than others. I ramna full poly suspension on my 1g for years (and I still do on my 2g) but rubber motor mounts. I like it just fine. BTW I'm over 50 so I hate uncomfortable cars.
Likewise on the uncomfortable cars... :)

I'm not sure if you can even find rubber mounts anymore (I've never looked). It's all subjective on the upgraded mounts/bushing. You'll get a more pointed car that feels more planted and goes where you want it to go but you'll also get more annoying vibrations in the steering wheel and squeaks from suspension. I would NOT recommend SOLID mounts to anyone though. That's my only advice.

Three of the mounts can still be found in rubber. Anchor has discontinued making the drivers-side mount, so that one is the trick now. For a little while, the price of those mounts went up to like $150!!
I have one, though I didn’t pay that much, but it still does not look like the original one for turbo cars. It has two fairly large openings; top and bottom. The OEM had a larger upper opening, but the lower was like a pencil-width, round slot in the rubber. Presumably to limit movement/ increase stiffness. You can’t get the OEM style trans mount if you have a 90 with cruise control. I heard a suggestion that running ploy on the trans and d/s mounts, and keeping rubber for front and rear is a good comprising.
I haven’t really looked for OEM suspension and subframe bushings. Likely hard to find. Before long poly will be the only option.

I heard a suggestion that running ploy on the trans and d/s mounts, and keeping rubber for front and rear is a good comprising.

That’s what I’m leaning towards.

That's why I replaced the subframe, control arm & stabilizer bar bushings with ES but am staying with stock rubber ones for the mounts. I took three of the four off when I dropped the trans & subframe and they looked like they were still in decent shape. I don't want to feel engine vibration through the steering wheel. The poly bushings feel somewhat harder than the stock ones they replaced, but in a good way, for a sports car at least. If this was a luxury or family car it wouldn't be acceptable, but it's not.

Btw that's a really nice-looking, clean engine bay. Everything looks brand new and in great shape. Nice job!

If you’re talking about mine, thanks! I just picked it up. I need to give it a really good detailing, but will be tearing much of it apart to do maintenance and the BPU.

Long term resto!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back