The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mitsubishi timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
No, not a typo. I'm going to replace my TB and everything else there soon and came across this TB on Advance Auto Parts, made by "Mitsuboshi", not "Mitsubishi":

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mitsubishi-mitsuboshi-timing-belt-a5000109178mbl/10729302-P

Anyone know anything about this company and TB? Is it a subsidiary of Mitsubishi, or a completely different company whose name transliterates into one sounding and looking almost the same?

Mostly though, is this a decent or an actual OEM TB? At just under $60 it's a great price, plus I have a bunch of coupons, gift cards and rewards points at AAP I'd like to use that would bring it even further down for me.

But, if it's not a good belt, none of that matters, of course.

Would you risk bent valves and possible full rebuild because of it?

I think that part number also pulled up a Hyundai timing belt but I don't thing that they are reinforced, not positive on that statement though.

Mitsuboshi is one of the most famous/best japanese belt manufacturers that have plenty of experience. They don't sell performance/racing belts but many people in japan use Mitsuboshi belts as stock replacements since their prices are good and they actually last long enough. I am not sure if their products in the States are the same as in Japan, but they have a branch in the States.
http://www.mblusa.com/

No, not a typo. I'm going to replace my TB and everything else there soon and came across this TB on Advance Auto Parts, made by "Mitsuboshi", not "Mitsubishi":

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mitsubishi-mitsuboshi-timing-belt-a5000109178mbl/10729302-P

Anyone know anything about this company and TB? Is it a subsidiary of Mitsubishi, or a completely different company whose name transliterates into one sounding and looking almost the same?

Mostly though, is this a decent or an actual OEM TB? At just under $60 it's a great price, plus I have a bunch of coupons, gift cards and rewards points at AAP I'd like to use that would bring it even further down for me.

But, if it's not a good belt, none of that matters, of course.
You will find 101 opinions about tbelts on this board. 60$ is not cheap for a non oem belt.
For awhile now I have been using gates belts (not racing) for my daily driver. This next go around I will likely use an OEM evolution belt or the gates racing belt.
The gates kit with both belts and tensioners are cheap cheap on rockauto.com
I have only ever used OEM hydraulic tensioners. Yes they are expensive. I don't care about that. It is worth it in my opinion.
TCK167 gates kit is 60.79.
For what it's worth for many engine things when I did a search I would use model year 1991 instead of 1992 as you have so I never had to mess with 6 bolt vs 7 bolt etc. If I recall you have a 6 bolt so 1991 works without having to deal with issues with the 1990 differences.
Gates also makes a TCK 167a and that is a 2g part number. THey also make a kit with water pump although I prefer AISIN pumps. I have used others and never had a failure but for piece of mind a few dollars doesn't bother me.

Would you risk bent valves and possible full rebuild because of it?

Not sure I follow given that you've not given any reason to believe that these are crap belts or even risky. I'm not saying that they're not crap or risky, but I need something to go on, someone's experience, test results, reputation, etc.

In any case I was mostly asking if this is Mitsubishi, perhaps one of their parts subsidiaries, or a sound-alike completely different company, AND if anyone has solid info/experience on how good this belt is.

I'm not replacing the belt right away, more like late spring or summer, after I've gotten other repairs out of the way, so I've got time to research this.

Not sure I follow given that you've not given any reason to believe that these are crap belts or even risky. I'm not saying that they're not crap or risky, but I need something to go on, someone's experience, test results, reputation, etc.

In any case I was mostly asking if this is Mitsubishi, perhaps one of their parts subsidiaries, or a sound-alike completely different company, AND if anyone has solid info/experience on how good this belt is.

I'm not replacing the belt right away, more like late spring or summer, after I've gotten other repairs out of the way, so I've got time to research this.
After all the comments I don't take my original comment too well LOL

Different company entirely. Yes they are good belts.

Thanks. Never heard of them before. If this happened in the US, say, a soft drink company not connected to Pepsi calling themselves Pepso, they'd get sued to stop using that name and they'd probably win. But this is a transliteration or phonetic translation so the different must be more substantial in Japanese, or perhaps they don't care as much about such things.

In any case, I'll consider it when replacing my TB but given that the actual OEM is only $10-$20 more from a mitsu dealer, I'd probably go with that. At $60 for an OEM it would have been a steal.

A little info about those names.
As you probably know Mitsubishi (三菱) means Three Diamonds. Mitsuboshi (三ツ星) means Three Stars. As you can see those are totally differently written in Japanese. It's just their pronunciations are similar.

mitsuboshi sounds like one of those deals in anime where they slightly change the name of something to avoid copyright issues.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back