The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Mitsubishi eclipse 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyrho

Probationary Member
Sep 17, 2021
Beirut, Asia
Hello everyone,
Hope you're doing well.
I have a question,
my favorite car of all time is the mitsubishi eclipse 2g 1999 (or what year is better) but I'm not sure which version is the most reliable (gs, rs,...)
Thank you!

The gs looks better because it came with side skirts. 97-99 had a face lift over 95-96 in headlights, front and rear bumpers and side skirts. Oz models came with the high rise spoiler which were only available on turbo models and also came with oz wheels. GS also came with 16” alloys same as Fwd turbo models.

Last edited:
None of them is likely reliable anymore unless properly maintained. What year is better depends on which car and what you're doing?
I am not aware of any of the RS/GS models having significant differences beyond cosmetics. As mentioned the 99 GS anniversary edition comes with the high rise spoiler previously only on turbo models. The motors are Chrysler on the nonturbo EXCEPT outside of the US (which it appears you are) and there are NT 4g63 cars elsewhere in the world. If that is true where you are I don't know. Then of course there is the 4g63 turbo. Reliability will be dependent on the condition of the car, how well the previous owner treated it, and of course how willing you are to keep up maintenance and spot the common problems. Being here is definitely a step towards reliability.

A low mileage example of any model that has been properly taken care of will be reliable. Back when I was running my stock engine and trans setup, I beat the absolute hell out of it and tried my best to blow it up or break something. But it held up like a champ. I've seen an N/T at the junkyard with 235k on the dash and it was wrecked. Made me wonder how long if would've lasted if they didn't crash it. As long as you can repair the occasional oil leak and do your own fluid changes you'll make one last for a long time.

thank you for the answer!
can't we change the parts to not get an oil leak? I don't know much about tuning but is that possible?

thank you for the answer!
can't we change the parts to not get an oil leak? I don't know much about tuning but is that possible?
Boy you're gonna have to clarify that. An oil leak and tuning have nothing to do with each other. The point was if you do regular maintenance, like fix the occasional leak and change fluids these cars (and many others) last awhile.

I think English is the secondary, so bare with him.

You could avoid some oil leaks by replacing the gaskets and seals on the engine as a preventative measure. But for a stock car that doesn't leak I wouldn't mess with it until it leaked.

The tuning capabilities vary based on which drive train is in your Eclipse. If you have a 420a powerplant you need a standalone system to be wired in. If you have a 4g63 there are a few other options for tuning. But there are not 2g Eclipses with the factory ecu that your tuner can simply plug into and tune, unless he has the proper software and connectors (turbo models).

Last edited:
If we are talking about looks, The '98 and '99 Eclipse turbo models are the best looking models of all the DSMs. Hands down. Plus they had the improved manual transmissions and the best version of the 7-bolt engines. 99 even had a really cool gauge cluster with silver gauge faces. Hard to beat that! My first one was a red 1995 GST I bought pre-owned in 1996 and drove it hard. Never did a thing to it except change the oil and plugs. Had it until I got married, then had to trade it in for an SUV, a 99 Montero 4wd. That Eclipse was one of the best cars I owned. Had to get another one!

I think the O.P needs to decide which model exactly he wants so we can give more accurate and pertinent information. There's a wealth of knowledge about every DSM, but we would use this thread talking about the different variations forever unless he gets an idea of which one he wants.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back