The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Mitsubishi Diesel Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fascinating project. maybe i missed this part, but are you going to bolt that to a normal dsm tranny or keep the one it came with?

i guess my question relates to how low diesel engines rev, since the stock dsm tranny is geared to take advantage of an engine that revs to 7k, it seems it might fall flat on its face if your redline were only 3-4k and maybe one with a higher final drive would perform better? maybe i'm making too big a deal of it? just a thought...

can't wait for more updates.

polarmoment said:
fascinating project. maybe i missed this part, but are you going to bolt that to a normal dsm tranny or keep the one it came with?

i guess my question relates to how low diesel engines rev, since the stock dsm tranny is geared to take advantage of an engine that revs to 7k, it seems it might fall flat on its face if your redline were only 3-4k and maybe one with a higher final drive would perform better? maybe i'm making too big a deal of it? just a thought...

can't wait for more updates.

Redline in 5th just to do the speed limit on the highway.

BenGSX said:
With a DOHC head how or where do you plan on injecting fuel??

I would assume through the spark plug hole somehow.

Im not real familiar with the mitsu diesels but Im guessing they are like most others with no combustion chamber in the head, right? How would you deal with this issue? You could always weld the combustion chamber to 0cc's but then the canted valve setup would become a problem. The stock length valves would also not work. Somehow, you would have to straighten the valve guides but then valvetrain geometry would be off. The valves would also either overlap or not fit into the cylinder when opened. Then that would require a smaller valve diameter. I am really interested in this project but I forsee many problems trying to run a 4 valve head that is readily available without lots of mods just to make it work. Anyways, keep us updated on your progress.

92awddsm said:
I would assume through the spark plug hole somehow.

That's basically what I was thinking.

92awddsm said:
Im not real familiar with the mitsu diesels but Im guessing they are like most others with no combustion chamber in the head, right? How would you deal with this issue? You could always weld the combustion chamber to 0cc's but then the canted valve setup would become a problem. The stock length valves would also not work. Somehow, you would have to straighten the valve guides but then valvetrain geometry would be off. The valves would also either overlap or not fit into the cylinder when opened. Then that would require a smaller valve diameter. I am really interested in this project but I forsee many problems trying to run a 4 valve head that is readily available without lots of mods just to make it work. Anyways, keep us updated on your progress.

You are correct. Minimal combustion chamber (16:1 up to 21:1 CR)

I think it would be best acheived with a unique domed piston with a cup design. Don't know if I'll pursue that as it would get rather expensive very quickly due to custom pistons. But, it's still running through my head.

I think a problem with the massivly domed pistons that it would take to do this would cause some nasty issues with valve clearance with stock cams. Not to mention aftermarket cams as mentioned earlier in the post.

Also taking about cams, I don't know for sure, but i would put money down that regular gas engine cams would run like shit in a diesel engine. But again I don't know for sure. Anyone with more diesel experience know anything about that?

Pat

I'm guessing the diesel engine didn't use the same head as the 4G63 for a reason, probably a very good reason. My understanding is that head design for a diesel and gasoline engine are not the same.

I think putting in a diesel engine is a great idea. Designing and building a diesel engine isn't IMHO, because it will be very problematic.

Gearing is going to be a problem as you will be at redline at highway speeds, and forget passing! One might be able to reduce the problem by putting bigger tires on the car. Does anyone know how big of tires you can get on a DSM without cutting out the wheel wells?

If I remember correctly the these engines were used in forklifts, so the tranny that comes with it is not going to work either.

One other idea I had would be to used a AWD tranny, weld the center diff and put the ends of the front axles (take apart the first CV joints) to plug the holes for the front wheels and make it RWD. I am not sure if anyone has ever done it, but you should be able to put a fair bit of power thru the xfer case. Then you can change the gears in the rear end to get the ratio you want. I'd shoot for 2000 rpm at 60 MPH.

The price of fuel today really shows the need for this. Diesel cars are the most efficient from well to wheel. Much better than hybrid cars in real world conditions. The problem with diesel cars here is that they are ugly. So if this works, we have a solution we can all live with LOL

Update? Biggest holdup is the timing belt. I've intalled a BS eliminator kit in it, but I need a timing belt. Within the last Month here, I located a source, who swears, he can order these JDM belts, so, I should have them in a month or so.

Other holdups..... surgery, which limits what I can do or lift.

Meanwhile, I'd thought I'd post some pics of my latest purchase. A larger cousin to my 4d65, is this 4D68T. It's 2.0L and factory turbocharged. Still mechanical injection. Only downfall is it's out of a 2nd gen RVR... I think, so it's got trans mounted front/rear roll mounts. And they deleted the mount holes on the block, so I need to do some creative welding and fab up a point to bolt the mounts to. I'm pretty excited about this. I'll be putting this one in first and then using the 4D65 to start fabbing up a header for the Holset.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,328
  • Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,326
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,592
  • Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Non intercooled eh? I see power to be had in that baby I have been playing with diesel for years now that engine there is well capible of 400 HP daily driver but the torque will be out of this world!

My current diesel setup is running 580 rwhp and just over 1100 lbs of torque.

dude i think that thats a great idea
i know that the motors are a little bigger than the one your talking about
but some of the turbo diesel trucks around my area smoke my car. i dont have all the mods i need yet so my car isnt all that but damn those trucks haul ass
if u can put that kinda power in a car even with a smaller motor i think it would be the shit
good luck

Bad news on two fronts. One still working on getting my hands on the timing belts.

The worst is this: Long story short, I found out that the house I was renting (with a nice 28x50 garage!!) was being subleased to me.(beleive me, the guy who was leaseing it from the owners, presented himself as the owner when I met and signed a rental agreeement with him.:mad: ) The owners defaulted on their mortgage, lost the house. I've got to be out by today. I'm trying to buy it, but meanwhile, the are evicting me. :cry:

So, everything is now in storage units and outdoor storage. Project comes to a COMPLETE halt. I was gunning for having it together for the shootout, just to dirve there, not race. But given the situation, it won't happen. :(

Morphius said:
The worst is this: Long story short, I found out that the house I was renting (with a nice 28x50 garage!!) was being subleased to me.(beleive me, the guy who was leaseing it from the owners, presented himself as the owner when I met and signed a rental agreeement with him.:mad: ) The owners defaulted on their mortgage, lost the house. I've got to be out by today. I'm trying to buy it, but meanwhile, the are evicting me. :cry:
Holy crap. I'm surprised in this market their bank won't work better with you.
I hope the project gets re-railed soon.

This is a very interesting topic, I'll get my search on for you and good luck finding a house!!

I know that you will be putting this in your 1g FWD (hopefully). Did you think about AWD at all. I know the 4D68 that came in the RVR was AWD. Since the 4D65 and 4D68 are similiar 1.8l to 2.0l respectivily, is that a possibility? Or are there other differences?

Defiant said:
Holy crap. I'm surprised in this market their bank won't work better with you.
I hope the project gets re-railed soon.

Yea, it's crazy. The market here in Detroit is horrible and they are trying to sell it for a price as if it was updated! Time will tell. I think I found a better one to buy. 10 acres and a second heated/ac shop!! Meanwhile, I'm in the BlackHills on vacation.

ChicksDigBoost said:
I know that you will be putting this in your 1g FWD (hopefully). Did you think about AWD at all. I know the 4D68 that came in the RVR was AWD. Since the 4D65 and 4D68 are similiar 1.8l to 2.0l respectivily, is that a possibility? Or are there other differences?

Yes, considered it. I use my AWD cars primarily for winter. My FWD is the nicest and is the lowest milage at 106K. Still looks new inside and out. So, my intent was to put the diesel in it to make a great warm weather car that'll get great mileage. I've always loved driving the FWD over the AWD due to the better mileage and how much quicker they are from a roll. It's not very often you find something to run from a stop.

How many MPG are you looking to get out of this project? There are a couple guys on the DSM-ECU list getting better than 35mpg with 1G FWD's.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the TRE 10% taller 5th gear lets the engine turn 2900rpm @ 75mph, 2500rpm @65mph.

pneumo said:
How many MPG are you looking to get out of this project? There are a couple guys on the DSM-ECU list getting better than 35mpg with 1G FWD's.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the TRE 10% taller 5th gear lets the engine turn 2900rpm @ 75mph, 2500rpm @65mph.

50+ mpg

Did this project die a horrible death or just waiting to spring back to life? I have a lot of interest in the Mitsu diesels, moreso for a swap into an s10 however I am curious how your swap is going.

How are other accessories bolting up, such as the A/C, also what type of fuel pump are you using, did you find a lower pressure pump to drop into the tank? Not that you couldn't us the EFI pump but you would be circulating the fuel around alot, (not really a bad thing but not needed).

mujgy

Did this project die a horrible death or just waiting to spring back to life? I have a lot of interest in the Mitsu diesels, moreso for a swap into an s10 however I am curious how your swap is going.

No, not dead, just off track at the moment. I've found timing belts (not the last link posted, because that was for tensioners). I just havn't jumped at buying them yet, because I'm lacking workspace.

As posted in the posts months back I'm pursueing buying a house. Twice now, I've pursued a foreclosed house. The first never happened due to price. (was the one I was renting and the owners foreclosed on it!) They wanted about 20K more that it was really worth. The second died over X-mas because when they appraised it, they found the house was manufactured (ie mobile) and not modular as was listed with the title company. It was a fairly new house, and by appearance you'd never guessed it was manufactured. Sheetrocked,etc. After some serious sluething, talking to the manfuacturer of the home, they verified it was manufactured, not modular. Even though the floor plans looked the same for the modular/manufactured, the difference was the state/county codes it was certified to. Burned up 6 months with that house only to find this out one week before closing. Sucks. It was nice too, 10 acres, two pole barns, one was 40x60 with a concrete floor, electricty, heat. The house was 1500sq ft with a 2 1/2 car garge. Perfect for the car nut!!

Anyway,I'm back to searching and god willing, I'll be in a house in the next 2 months. ALL my cars and 98% of my belongings are in storage units. Meanwhile untl I do, I've since gathered more parts, turbos, intercoolers, diesel filters, plumbing, mounts, a 2g trans to use with the 4d68T to install in my 91 FWD TSI, amongst other things. Also last summer picked up a 89 Dodge D50 to install a 4D55T I picked up. So, be patient, lots of updates in the coming months as soon as I get settled in.

How are other accessories bolting up, such as the A/C, also what type of fuel pump are you using, did you find a lower pressure pump to drop into the tank? Not that you couldn't us the EFI pump but you would be circulating the fuel around alot, (not really a bad thing but not needed).

mujgy

Some modifications are needed for the acc brackets. Off the top of my head, I can't give you specifics, but it was minor. I'm using the stock fuel pump in the tank, with a distribution block on the firewall to limit pressure to around 5 psi. The injection pump has a lift pump, so inreality I don't need a fuel pump, but I might as well use it and save the work and wear on the lift pump. Yes, it will be cirlculating more fuel than needed.

For you're S-10, you'd almost be better off buying a cummins 4Bt. It's a 4cyl version of cummins popular 6bt that is found in dodge trucks, or older dodge trucks, given they have 24 valves now. Some are turboed, some are not. They generally come with an adapter to mate to a chevy turbo 400 trans. Alot of times you can get the motor/trans setup for 1500-3000. They were common in box vans. (ie read Frido-lay type) Check ebay. Looking at a 4d55 or 4d56, you are going to pay about the same price and have more issues with getting things to mount up. With the 4bt, you know it'll bolt in a GM alot easier. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back