The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Mitsu going out of business?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let them go out of business. Even if they do bring back some nice cars, their customer service is STILL going to suck the big one. :thumbdown

gsxeclipseguy said:
i know what we should do :D . we should have EVERYONE on dsmtuners and all of the other dsm boards to email mitsubishi, telling them what they should do about the car line. Basically they should bring back a car quite similar to the 2g with a 4g63 with like 300 hp and make it less than the evo, and bring back Galant Vr-4 and crap. :thumb: Maybe they would listen if they were bombed with like Hundreds of emails stating this ? :dsm:

Im game, but this time around seriously RWD and AWD only. who needs FWD. I mean mitsu needs to grow some balls some time and make a damn RWD 4G63 turbo or maybe 4G64 turbo :D ?

i will help anyway i can to help save them, if anyone thinks of something, please let us all know. we need to try to do something. my eclipse is THE car that turned me into a lover of all cars, not even just DSMs, but if thats where it started, that cant be the end. and if they go under, im buying a 99 GSX same color as my GST, and its gonna sit in storage and be driven occasionally until the day that i die. ill never completely give up on DSMs, thats not what you do with things you love.

Yeah, brilliant idea guys, make a niche of a niche vehicle remake to increase profits! Mitsubishi is saved thanks to your intelligent thinking! :rolleyes:

"Sporty" cars do not turn profits. The GSX trim never made enough money to make it viable for the third gen platform. Otherwise we WOULD have a AWD 3rd gen.

EVO's do not make up the profits of Mitsubishi.

Seriously guys. Before you get your internet protests and all your cute little letters written demanding for some out of date car to be brought back to life through Mitsubishi nercomancy, take a couple of marketing classes, take a look at Mitsubishi's car sales, and get real.

97ClipseDSM said:
A 4g64 engine is a n/t spyder engine. How many of us would want a n/t engine in a fricken turbo Eclipse??

Um ... a lot of people use the 2.4 bottom end out of the spyder in the turbo eclipses for motor buildups. 2.4 > 2.0 bro.

Offensive post changed...cause you realized... 97clipseDSM ;) :thumb:

cait sith said:
Yeah, brilliant idea guys, make a niche of a niche vehicle remake to increase profits! Mitsubishi is saved thanks to your intelligent thinking! :rolleyes:

"Sporty" cars do not turn profits. The GSX trim never made enough money to make it viable for the third gen platform. Otherwise we WOULD have a AWD 3rd gen.

Seriously guys. Before you get your internet protests and all your cute little letters written demanding for some out of date car to be brought back to life through Mitsubishi nercomancy, take a couple of marketing classes, take a look at Mitsubishi's car sales, and get real.

After reading this thread...and these guys ideas...I have to agree with you...you've been here since back in the day when I still posted...and yea seriously...sports cars don't make sales...I don't know what these guys are thinking.

How many sports cars or high performance cars do you guys see on the streets?
How many family sedans or simple commuters do you see?

hmmm...which do car companys make more money on?
hmmm...I saw 1 s2k, 2 turbo eclipses, 2wrx's, 1 E46 M3, 3 vettes, 2 mustangs...and a couple 1000 of all the other commuters, family cars, suvs and trucks today...I say...Mitsu...if you make a turbo AWD car with 400whp and sell it for 20000...EVERYBODY would buy it...not

1fast97gsx said:
Um ... a lot of people use the 2.4 bottom end out of the spyder in the turbo eclipses for motor buildups. 2.4 > 2.0 bro.

LOL Holy crap, my bad bro. I was thinking about the 3g eclipse spyders at that time, but there called 6g64 or something like that. My bad i apologize to ripper. Im just having a bad week :|

I think that if Mitsu Focused them self on Reliability, it would probly do better. Cause Mitsu and Reliable SHOULDNT go together. "its a turbo car, its going to break stuff" hell, Turbo Toyotas. There reliable, even if you drive the piss out of them. Mitsu NEEDS a Super car, to compete in the real highend cars. i dont think the EVO is really a Super car. Really.

I think there focused to much on performance, and not Reliability. like s2000 quick, and Reliable. Whats Mitsu got??????

13secGST said:
After reading this thread...and these guys ideas...I have to agree with you...you've been here since back in the day when I still posted...and yea seriously...sports cars don't make sales...I don't know what these guys are thinking.

How many sports cars or high performance cars do you guys see on the streets?
How many family sedans or simple commuters do you see?

hmmm...which do car companys make more money on?
hmmm...I saw 1 s2k, 2 turbo eclipses, 2wrx's, 1 E46 M3, 3 vettes, 2 mustangs...and a couple 1000 of all the other commuters, family cars, suvs and trucks today...I say...Mitsu...if you make a turbo AWD car with 400whp and sell it for 20000...EVERYBODY would buy it...not

i do agree. good point. but for majority of us in here, of course we would prefer to see more progress on the performance side with better(crankshaft) engineering. i think that the design that MITSU.MOTORS north american division had made througout this years toward most mitsu cars here in the U.S. had played a big part of the loss. the 3g eclipse and the new galant are among them. anyway, that is just my own opinion. there are a lot of consumers out there with different demands, including us. so, for mitsubishi, to gain their credibility, they need to somehow blend all these damands: performance, reliability, quality, and price. Mitsu has to compete and know what is in demand. but i think, MItsu need to have a better person to be in charge to dealt with Public relations, because they are the one who's supposed to deal with all this stuff, obviously that person is not doing a very good job. its funny how they we're the "fastest growing car company" couple years ago :rolleyes: ,LOL.

Why do people keep saying the evo is overprice? That car comes with alot of aftermarket stuff installed on it stock.

FlipDsM said:
there are a lot of consumers out there with different demands, including us. so, for mitsubishi, to gain their credibility, they need to somehow blend all these damands: performance, reliability, quality, and price. Mitsu has to compete and know what is in demand. but i think, MItsu need to have a better person to be in charge to dealt with Public relations, because they are the one who's supposed to deal with all this stuff, obviously that person is not doing a very good job. its funny how they we're the "fastest growing car company" couple years ago :rolleyes: ,LOL.

I agree with this fully...yes they do need some sportier cars to compete...and a supercar would be nice to create an "image" for the company..the 3000gt used to sort-of be it...but it was never really good cause it weighed too much and just wasn't good enough

but if they were to bring a nice, light weight sporty 2dr. with say 400hp or so...maybe 500...and charge in the 70-80k price range...and really make the car something that a lot of people would appricate and respect, it might help bring up their image.

But then again...they would sell very few of these...the new "corporate nose" has to go as well. I think a key thing with Mitsu is that they just haven't shown to be reliable...all the other Japanese companies have. Nissan and Mazda are now doing things right because for a while they were slacking...Mitsu needs to copy what they did and come out with some new things people will really like...really the body styles are what people go for.

gsxeclipseguy said:
i know what we should do :D . we should have EVERYONE on dsmtuners and all of the other dsm boards to email mitsubishi, telling them what they should do about the car line. Basically they should bring back a car quite similar to the 2g with a 4g63 with like 300 hp and make it less than the evo, and bring back Galant Vr-4 and crap. :thumb: Maybe they would listen if they were bombed with like Hundreds of emails stating this ? :dsm:

Whats the best way to get the word out to other DSMers? The Media. Contact Sport Compact Car, Import Tuner, Road&Track, Hot Road Mag, NewsPapers ect. Let the Media Spread the News, thats what they are supposed to do.

On another note, The Galant VR-4s are still being sold in Japan and England. I've seen one, they're mean! They Galant VR-4, 3000GT VR-4, EVOs, and Eclipse would not compete with each other like you think, for instance, I have 35k to spend on a car, normally I would go with the Eclipse, but I have a kid now. So The EVO or Galant would be my choice. The 3000GT and Eclipse are 2 door so they are out of the question. On top of that its personal preference, ect.

cait sith said:

Yeah I know what you mean. But of course mitsubishi should bring back the entire 2g lineup. Make some SUBTLE modifications to the body(Don't let the same guy who designed any of their cars touch it with a ten foot pole), and sell it again. Maybe make some modifications to the engine also, don't put the damn 420a in the n/t's. With minimal cost, it is feasible to revie some of their cars, but it will never be done. Petition or not. Mitsibishi will go down the tubes, with chrysler or some other big company buying them out at the end when they're 1 cent a share or something. I just hope they keep making tbelts and tensioners :( Just my .02

The person who wrote that article obviously owns a subaru STi-Slow and can't come to the fact that the evo is better and he has to write a wimpy ass article about how mitsubishi is going down? yeah right

I drive out on to the street. Boom I will see at least 20% of the new cars driven are Mitsu's.

Mitsubishi is actually doing EXTREMLY well, if you look at the #'s I guarentee Mitsubishi has sold more of the new lancers then eclipses... and not to mention all the SUV's mitsu has now I see them everywhere.

Fact is that Mitsubishi has a huge market share in not only cars, but all the other crap they are making. There is no way mitsubishi would get shut down.

Never have I seen in my life a older car come back even remotely close to what it was before. so don't count on that.

While cait_sith does have a valid point, Mitsubishi must remember what got them to be as big as they are today. Think back to 1989. How many of us remember the Mitsubishi Cordia? Tredia? Sigma? Precis? That's right, you don't remember them, because very few were sold in the first place, and not very many remain. The undeniable performance of the DSM triplets is what made Mitsu a viable player in North America. I guarantee you that if the 1G's hadn't sold so well (compared to every other preceding Mitsu, and nearly all that have followed), Mitsu wouldn't be here right now. Mitsu needs to go back to their roots and realize that performance at a low price put them on the map, and performance will keep them on it. I remember hearing that the DSM triplets are the best selling turbocharged car in North American automotive history. And, if you do some research, you'll find that the 3G's are having more reliability issues with less performance. DSM's carried the brand for ten years, and gave them the growth to brag about. I'd rather see 50,000-70,000 DSM's (some turbo) selling well and often like they did from 1989-1999 than see ~10,000 EVOs sell well when they're available.

I'm going to agree with the people stating that the cars we want, will never be brought back. Enjoy them until they are all dead.

It's true and unfortunate, Mitsu may be going under sooner than you think d/c moved to benz and Mitsu is now stuck with a crap line up of cars and huge lack if ideas with the lack of sale to back it up. :thumbdown If rumors have it right mitsu may be out with in the next 5-7 years. I mean completely out. :( So if we are going to do something like bombard the company with e-mails than we need to start now.

i want to see a lancer hatch. A small sleek hatch with a somewhat longer nose (kinda like the mazda 3 hatch or whatever) with awd and a 250 hp 4g63. Maybe with the tiny hump in the hood like some of the galants. Priced to compete with the srt-4.

I think a body style SIMILAR to the 2G should be brought back to replace the 3G, not the exact 2G car that we all know and love. The AWD platform is already there in the Evo to work with. The Evo's 4g63 could easily be planted into an Eclipse, and de-tuned somewhat to allow the Evo to be Mitsu's "top of the line" piece and to allow the Eclipse to be priced more competitively. Maybe an internet petition won't do much in keeping Mistu going, but I'd like to get a few things off of my chest about where I think things went all wrong. And if that lights a fire under someone's ass or catches a few eyes at Mitsu Corp, even better.

Also, I just can't understand why people are saying that "sporty" cars don't turn profits. Im not sure how you define "sporty", but thinking about a majority of the new cars I see on a daily basis a few names pop out: Toyota Celica, Acura RSX, Nissan 350z, BMW m3, etc. These are all "sporty" cars in my opinion. Rumors have been flying about bringing the Supra back, and the 350z and the RX8 have come out in just a few short years after the tuning market really began to emerge here. Even the 4-dr cars are taking on "sportier" personalities such as the new Mazda 3 and 6s, Spec V Sentras, and Acura TSXs. It's obvious that the tides are turning in the automotive industry and there IS a market for tuner cars whether they're "sporty" or not. AWD cars are just now really gaining popularity here with the emergence of the WRX, STi, Evo, and future Lexus, BMW, and VW cars are all planned to have AWD systems. It seems to me that our market is beginning to turn from an econobox and SUV dominated market to fun and versatile vehicles.

Open your eyes...GM scraps the F-bodies, and comes out with the GTO, which basically looks like it belongs in the sport compact market, but is a rwd v8. Dodge releases the SRT-4 followed by an aftermarket parts brand from their dealerships. Mazdaspeed, TRD, and Nismo are respectively present. GM releases s/c kits for the Cavy and the Sunfire, and then releases a s/c Saturn. Toyota fathers the birth of Scions on American soil. Ford makes an SVT Focus...huh??? The market is here for Mitsu to have a line (or at least a car other than the Evo) to feed this hungry market. All of my generation (born around 1980) is stepping into the job world and looking to purchase a car with money in hand, and many of us are unwilling to settle for a boring 4-dr family sedan or SUV. Let Mitsu keep its Murano and the Galant for families, but give me an awd, turbo, re-designed Eclipse for Christ sake!!! Mitsu was doing the tuner market thing when there was little money in it, but draws a blank when there's actually a market for it. If you wanna keep your head above water as a company, market for the future a little and take chances- look where it got Suby when they brought over the 4-dr WRX AWD, turbo, when there was really nothing else in the US in that class.

Im sorry, but anyone that thinks a "sporty" awd, turbo 4-cyl. Eclipse with around 250hp won't sell in today's market for around $23-25,000 is crazy. We don't need 400 or 500 hp, we make our cars that fast without much modification- realistically a fresh version of the awd 2G with 40-50 more hp is exactly what the dr. ordered.

Oh yeah, and if you wanna talk business logistics and you're worried about certain people not wanting a turbo model, or being capable of affording one, keep the awd platform for base models and give it a non-turbo motor- similar to the 2.5rs and WRXs. Charge a little less for it, and there you have it. Just my two pennies.

RU2SLOW? said:
I think a body style SIMILAR to the 2G should be brought back to replace the 3G, not the exact 2G car that we all know and love. The AWD platform is already there in the Evo to work with. The Evo's 4g63 could easily be planted into an Eclipse, and de-tuned somewhat to allow the Evo to be Mitsu's "top of the line" piece and to allow the Eclipse to be priced more competitively. Maybe an internet petition won't do much in keeping Mistu going, but I'd like to get a few things off of my chest about where I think things went all wrong. And if that lights a fire under someone's ass or catches a few eyes at Mitsu Corp, even better.

Open your eyes...GM scraps the F-bodies, and comes out with the GTO, which basically looks like it belongs in the sport compact market, but is a rwd v8. Dodge releases the SRT-4 followed by an aftermarket parts brand from their dealerships. Mazdaspeed, TRD, and Nismo are respectively present. GM releases s/c kits for the Cavy and the Sunfire, and then releases a s/c Saturn. Toyota fathers the birth of Scions on American soil. Ford makes an SVT Focus...huh??? The market is here for Mitsu to have a line (or at least a car other than the Evo) to feed this hungry market. All of my generation (born around 1980) is stepping into the job world and looking to purchase a car with money in hand, and many of us are unwilling to settle for a boring 4-dr family sedan or SUV. Let Mitsu keep its Murano and the Galant for families, but give me an awd, turbo, re-designed Eclipse for Christ sake!!! Mitsu was doing the tuner market thing when there was little money in it, but draws a blank when there's actually a market for it. If you wanna keep your head above water as a company, market for the future a little and take chances- look where it got Suby when they brought over the 4-dr WRX AWD, turbo, when there was really nothing else in the US in that class.

Im sorry, but anyone that thinks a "sporty" awd, turbo 4-cyl. Eclipse with around 250hp won't sell in today's market for around $23-25,000 is crazy. We don't need 400 or 500 hp, we make our cars that fast without much modification- realistically a fresh version of the awd 2G with 40-50 more hp is exactly what the dr. ordered.

and this is exactly what they are trying to do. i've been doing plenty of research and reading. and the 3rd gen eclipse lost a huge majority of the younger market, despite the marketing..and along with the Evo..hasn't exactly done as well as planned. which is what they strived on with the eclipses. from what i've read/heard. variances in the evo..a 2dr.. is what mitsu has in the plans for bringing back the younger crowd into the market and upping sales. go and check out this months Road and Track. there is a small article about it.

Idiot Stick said:
and this is exactly what they are trying to do. i've been doing plenty of research and reading. and the 3rd gen eclipse lost a huge majority of the younger market, despite the marketing..and along with the Evo..hasn't exactly done as well as planned. which is what they strived on with the eclipses. from what i've read/heard. variances in the evo..a 2dr.. is what mitsu has in the plans for bringing back the younger crowd into the market and upping sales. go and check out this months Road and Track. there is a small article about it.

Guess that commercial with the girl having a techno seziure didn't work like they had hoped. :rolleyes:

thekellbeast said:
Guess that commercial with the girl having a techno seziure didn't work like they had hoped. :rolleyes:

very true! and speaking of MITSU. commercials, lets look at the new galant tv ads, when they are throwing stuff to it. i mean, WTF? is that the best they can do?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back