The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mitsu 2.6L ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yhype

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2002
Thurmont, Maryland
Does anyone know where Mitsu's 2.6L G54B engine is found? And if it is an V6. inline6, or what type of engine it is. thanks :dsm: :thumb:

It's not a 6 cyl. It's an 2.6 4cyl that came on starions, old montero's, and pickups from 83-89.

Were these the starions performance engines? i don't know to much about these cars, if anyone could, would you be able to fill me in on them? thanks

This is the Astron motor, also found in the Sigma and Express/L300.

Lots of parts available, if you don't mind shipping from Australia. They used to build the motor just down the road from where I lived (Lonsdale plant).

Opinions vary on the merits of the motor. I recall a lot of folks with cracked heads and this engine, but plenty of people liked them a lot.

Correct engine code is 4G54, giving away that it's a 4-banger.

Yeah this motor is found in all sorts of cars (4G54B). It was the ONLY motor that came in starions/conquests throughout there whole production run (for the US market). It essentially is a truck type of motor, with relatively long stroke. The stock rods are TOUGH, and have taken upwards of 700hp with some shot peening. The stock pistons are junk, The stock heads like to crack. The biggest obstacle for this motor is its throttle body injection, which is a large limiting factor. There is tons of info on all this, just go over and read up on the starion/conquest forums. Oh, and there are lots of parts available for this motor (you don't have to get anything from australia.)

Bringing this back from the dead to ask... does anybody know if this would be the same 2.6l motor that came in '84 town and country station wagons? I've got one a friend gave me that needs a new mikuni carberator (which costs like $1200) and someone that actually knows how to tune the damn things... but I was thinking it might be interesting to see about putting some decent pistons and trying to get a DOHC head on it and build a turbo 2.6 with SFI and COP ignition (using either the elecromotive or aem standalone ems)

STARION said:
Yeah this motor is found in all sorts of cars (4G54B). It was the ONLY motor that came in starions/conquests throughout there whole production run (for the US market). It essentially is a truck type of motor, with relatively long stroke. The stock rods are TOUGH, and have taken upwards of 700hp with some shot peening. The stock pistons are junk, The stock heads like to crack. The biggest obstacle for this motor is its throttle body injection, which is a large limiting factor. There is tons of info on all this, just go over and read up on the starion/conquest forums. Oh, and there are lots of parts available for this motor (you don't have to get anything from australia.)

My first google failed miserably... do you have any links to starion resources, or places I can find out more about this engine... still unsure weather or not it's the motor in the wagon I have, but strongly believe it to be... would like to know the availability of a DOHC head and weather or not it will mate to the DSM tranny in the eclipse/talon.

You cant put a decent head on these they are timing chain drive cam, they seem to be not a very great motor. Stock they put out 70KW and a common flaw with them is they crack the block between the welsh plugs and i do mean this is common!! i had one in my triton ute (mighty max to you guys) they are gutless and boy do they suck juice! they run a real heavy flywheel in the commercial set ups which gives them a bit of torque but thats about all you can say good about them!. They also are the wide block 13 1/4" between the bell housing bolts.

blue1 said:
You cant put a decent head on these they are timing chain drive cam, they seem to be not a very great motor. Stock they put out 70KW and a common flaw with them is they crack the block between the welsh plugs and i do mean this is common!! i had one in my triton ute (mighty max to you guys) they are gutless and boy do they suck juice! they run a real heavy flywheel in the commercial set ups which gives them a bit of torque but thats about all you can say good about them!. They also are the wide block 13 1/4" between the bell housing bolts.

Thanks for the info. The head was the biggest question I had, as from everything else I've read, the head sucks, the pistons as well, but the rods can handle a lot of power, and I just happen to have one laying around, so I thought it it has the potential, run with it. Guess it doesn't really.

"DOHC head on it "

hks I think made a few DOHC heads but mitsu never made one.

Can tell you from much experience-2.6's suck-bad.You could have a very nice 2.4 built for what it takes to make a 2.6 drivable.

HKS made 3 DOHC heads and 1 head is owned by a www.starquestclub.com member. It is a high quality build with all of the bells and whisstles. it has a devoted following but if someone gets into the mid to high 12's it's an accomplishment. Tubular headrs and MPI available as are heads without the 3rd "jetvalve" for emissions.
They are an excellenr platform stil.They put out more torque than HP.1 dyno run I remember had 270whp and 320wlb/ft of torque. The hot trick is putting one of these turboed motors into one of the tiny pickups made like the d-50. mark

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back