The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Missing transfercase looking for one

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneijder_Z

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2010
Elgin, Illinois
hI

I WAS DOING RESEACH ABOUT BUT I DONT GET FULLY SATISFIED. I POURCHASED A MANUAL TRANY FOR MY 1998 GSX ON EBAY IT CAME WITH TRANFERCASE BUT IT WAS TOTALLY BLOWN ,USELESS, CRAP ETC. I GOT THE TRANNY ON MY CAR BUT IT DOESNOT RUN AS I REMEMBERED IT FEELS LIKE THE CLUTCH IS NOT WORKING GOOD THE GUY WHO INSTALLED IT TOLD ME THE TRANSFER IS NEEDED ### THE POWER TO THE REAR IS MISSING OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS. IS THAT TRUE? OR THE TRANNY IS BAD? IT SHIFTS GOOD AND IT HAS NO STRANGE NOISES BUT THE CAR FEELS LAZY. BY THE WAY WHO CAN HELP ME OUT TO FIND A GOOD TRANFERCASE I POURCHASE THE TRANNY FROM JAPANESE ENGINES BY THE WAY. THANKS SO MUCH.PLEASE HELP:toobad:

GREETINGZ!!!!

If its a jdm tranny it may not have the correct final drive ratio for your rear diff, that could cause damage to the viscous coupler and that would cause power to not go to the rear wheels.

The transfercase was useless as I said so I removed It and instaled just the gearbox (so there is no torque at the rear wheels at all they are spining as a non awd car )and It worked fine in fact I drove the car home today. It feels lazy when the turbo blows the car simply goes fast but not as fast as it should.

The transfer case I pourchase and not used was exactly the same I was running on my car so dont think It doesnot have the same final drive.

Check it out. The guy from japanese engines sell as good tranny but good must mean something else in his dialect ### only the trans is good:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The rusted one is the one I pouchased and the other my previus

The point is: Do you think the tranny is damaged or is normal when a permanent AWD eclipse lose the rear wheels traction to go slow. I though It would work as a FWD.

What is worse : as Donnie said : Driving whitout a transfercase can damage my new tranny? why??:hmm: man I wont use tha car until I get another TC dammm

thanks a lot for you time guys

Last edited by a moderator:
No 1G case will work with a 2G. And I believe it's the 97-99 cars that have a different final drive ratio from the earlier 2Gs. That's one way you can kill it. Automatic and manual cases are different too. Finally, the output shaft on your transmission (or even the coupler inside the transfer case) may have sheared the splines off. Check to see if the splines on both are as they should be, with nice, flat heads. If they look like saw teeth, you need to change them.

I gave a few sites a looking over and didn't see one that would work. Just... don't drive it any more until it's fixed or other bad stuff is going to happen.

Edit: Watch this. It will tell you how to tell the difference between the two gear ratios. The outside of the cases look the same.

Driving on AWD trans with no t case will damage the viscous coupler. Just because the transfer cases look the same dose not mean that they are the same inside, do you know what year eclipse the trans came from? if its from a 95-96 you need a 95-96 t-case, if its from a 97-99 you need a 97-99 t-case

i would stop driving it if i were you or youll be buying another tranny soon

Hi::::::hmm: why????

the thing I still dont understand why the car feels slow ??? Is this normal if you removed the TC or is my tranny bad?? what do ya think?? I took the car to the carwash (3 block from home) and It feel lazy, the turbo is working as alway but the car goes slower than it should. do you think I need to buy just the tc? anybody could help me to get one? Thnkz

Driving on AWD trans with no t case will damage the viscous coupler. Just because the transfer cases look the same dose not mean that they are the same inside, do you know what year eclipse the trans came from? if its from a 95-96 you need a 95-96 t-case, if its from a 97-99 you need a 97-99 t-case

Ok hte trnsfer has the same number of spinlines to the driveshaft and the same number of "theet" or stripes on the pinion. Acording to Japanese engines the tranny came from a 1996-1999 gsx so I think the tranny is ok.

The question is: Is normal the car goes slower if you remove the TC? Shoul I need to claim for a bad tranny? Please help me out to get a TC on a decent price give me a url or some thing dont be bad guys just look at this sad face:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This guy need a new TC Please help

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Its slow because the VC is probably wrecked & slipping. They all have the same splines the video on jacks transmissions tells you how to see what kind it is by turning the shafts & counting how it spins. There aren't gsx's in japan so it probably an rvr trans which is a different ratio.

Last edited:
I buy sell trade and workon dsms ive been doing it for years ive bought several that people tried to drive without the tcase someone correct me if im wrong but i believe it tears out the viscous coupler, when you drive it without the tcase it will mess up the tranny dont drive it ive had atleast 5 that i replaced trannys in because of it

Matter of fact now that i think about it the 96 in my avatar is a prime example i got it the guy said it needed a clutch - found out he messed up the t-case took it off drove it for a month or 2 and tore the tranny up it would move but grinded like hell

The OP isnt asking what t-case to buy!!! He's asking why his car feels slow!

STOP driving it or you WILL RUIN the viscous coupler in your tranny. IT feels slow cause the VC is slipping and taking alot of your power. STOP DRIVING IT!

The OP isnt asking what t-case to buy!!! He's asking why his car feels slow!

STOP driving it or you WILL RUIN the viscous coupler in your tranny. IT feels slow cause the VC is slipping and taking alot of your power. STOP DRIVING IT!

Yes, yes!!

Thsnk a lot!! I wanted to know if my tranny is bad. I only have driven about 10 miles since yesterday so I Hope everything is ok.

I buy sell trade and workon dsms ive been doing it for years ive bought several that people tried to drive without the tcase someone correct me if im wrong but i believe it tears out the viscous coupler, when you drive it without the tcase it will mess up the tranny dont drive it ive had atleast 5 that i replaced trannys in because of it

Matter of fact now that i think about it the 96 in my avatar is a prime example i got it the guy said it needed a clutch - found out he messed up the t-case took it off drove it for a month or 2 and tore the tranny up it would move but grinded like hell

thanks so much man!! I have driven 10 miles and I was thinking about to drive another 8 miles back to the garage and wait until I get a TC do you think my VC is still ok or I must tow it? Thnks a lot I was about to make a mistake!!!

No 1G case will work with a 2G. And I believe it's the 97-99 cars that have a different final drive ratio from the earlier 2Gs. That's one way you can kill it. Automatic and manual cases are different too. Finally, the output shaft on your transmission (or even the coupler inside the transfer case) may have sheared the splines off. Check to see if the splines on both are as they should be, with nice, flat heads. If they look like saw teeth, you need to change them.

I gave a few sites a looking over and didn't see one that would work. Just... don't drive it any more until it's fixed or other bad stuff is going to happen.

Edit: Watch this. It will tell you how to tell the difference between the two gear ratios. The outside of the cases look the same.

Mine is a 98 GSX so I can not use a 94 transfer case? thnx for you help man hope anybody could give any URL to buy my transfer

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back