The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Missing bolt hole to mount driver side axle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel_3d

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2003
LA, California
I just dropped a 6-bolt engine in my 97 gsx, but it seems I'm missing one of the bolt holes that the halfshaft bracket should mount to. I've come to the conclusion that the bolt hole should be on the A/C compressor bracket, and I got a FWD A/C compressor bracket instead of AWD. According to CAPS there's a difference.

2g AWD is MR250543
2g FWD is MR201555

Can someone confirm that this is my problem? Thanks.

Here are some pics:

http://i18.tinypic.com/2dkbajo.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/4ge8ppy.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/308jujc.jpg

Are you sure about that? Not according to other sources, who say it bolts to the a/c bracket.
I also found pics of my old block, and it had no extra boss in that area, looked exactly like the current one.

If I am recalling correctly on my 90 the bracket on the axle goes vertical, not horizontal. I believe it goes into the bolt hole directly above the one on the right in the first picture. It has been a while so I'd get a second source confirming this. Or order the shaft from a parts store and return it if the bracket is the same ;)

EDIT: For clarification, the hole I am talking about is right next to the flat section with numbers stamped onto it

I know for sure that axle bolts to the block, but one goes through the A/C bracket. If you look at your second pic, one without the axle, you see the bolt (right one, bigger of the two in the pic) I think it bolts there, because you can see a large machined area behind the bolt that looks like the axle mates there.

(Sorry I can't get to my car right now to give you a more definite answer)

Blizz, yes, the boss on the right is fine, that takes care of the right carrier bolt. But there needs to be another boss on the left, right between the two a/c compressor bracket bolts, which the left carrier bolt needs to go into (compare pics 2 and 3).

Eclipsh, yes there's the extra boss vertically (visible in pic 1) that I'm sure a 90 axle carrier would bolt to, but I don't think I wanna convert my axle to a 90, if it's even possible.

I still believe the compressor bracket must have the extra hole, I just need the awd version.

is your axle installed in the transmission in those pics? I want to say that the axle may mount higher than that, with the right mount mounting in the boss vertical of the one it is at in the pics 1 and the left mount mounts to the right A/C bracket bolt seen in pic 2.

Yupp, it's fully lined up, I can bolt down the right side of the carrier, just not the left. Needless to say that's not a safe way to run it...

Are you sure about that? Not according to other sources, who say it bolts to the a/c bracket.
I also found pics of my old block, and it had no extra boss in that area, looked exactly like the current one.

I'm positive. If the hole was in the A/C bracket how would people without A/C bolt up the carrier bracket?

I believe on 2g's they hack the bracket.

The bolt does run through the a/c bracket.(On a 7 bolt anyway) To run without the bracket you will have to get a spacer to take its place.

I didn't realize you were talking about a 7 bolt, I don't have any experience with those, so I'm probably wrong about the carrier bracket bolting to the block.

There's two vertical mounting points for the early axle carriers, yes. Those are visible in pic 1.

I'm pretty sure the left carrier bolt doens't run through the bracket (ie the bracket is not just a spacer), but threads into it. Otherwise I could never have had the carrier mounted on the old 6-bolt, which also didn't have a boss in that area. I'll try to get another pic to confirm this.

My friend and I ran into a similar problem when we converted his auto 2g awd to a manual... the brackets for the a/c are different, as well as the intermediate shaft/middle part of the axle.. are either of your parts from an auto? on all that I have worked on, that bolt passes through the a/c bracket and into the block, and there is a spacer available in case you dont want to have the a/c bracket bolted up to the block just for the axle. (I dont have the part number handy though)

edit: i just went and took a couple pics from an old 7 bolt block, and from my race 6 bolt 2.4 4g64. they have the same bolt holes, and they are both threaded... (but they are setup for a manual transmission.... I believe the automatic intermediate shaft does in fact bolt to the a/c bracket) oh yeah, and since I did this, i noticed my race engine has a bolt broken off in the one hole.. great! at least i noticed it now, and not when its in the car!!!

edit #2... I just looked at your pics again, it looks to me like the intermediate shaft you have is for an auto trans, ive got one of those out at my buddies shop.... the mounting points are spaced further apart, and they do for sure bolt to the a/c bracket...

Attachments

• DSCF0451 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0451 (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCF0449 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0449 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 402
That carrier must be different from mine. My carrier would never line up with the lower right a/c bracket hole. At least not on a 6-bolt. That's why I need this extra boss between the two lower holes in this pic:

http://i1.tinypic.com/3zu111l.jpg

is your car an automatic transmission? if so thats where the difference is.. the autos have a different carrier bearing/intermediate shaft...or i guess it could be 97+ had a different setup, I believe the trans, and transfer case are a little different for those years not sure on that though

It's a 97, but it's 5-speed. Just the final drive ratio is different on 97+.

Bring it back from the dead, What size are those bolts. M12x1.25? How long are they?

I can only see one of the bolts in CAPS, it's 10x41.5mm. I remember them being different lengths, but maybe I'm wrong.

Best solution is to order 10 pounds of bolts from mitsubishigraveyard, and never worry about missing bolts again :)

Allow me to bring this thread back from the dead...

Now my car came with no A/C and no bracket.
I noticed that I only had one bolt, holding the CV shaft in place and that it wouldn't get tight the threads seem to be stripped out.
Before I got a chance to get it inside and take a look the bolt fell out!
So I drove about 10-12 miles with out it bolted down (unknowingly).
Did this ruing my transmission?
Why do I have grease flung everywhere around the shaft?
Did it fling out, because it wasn't bolted down?
I'm going to pull the shaft out this week end, I just wanted to post a thread and get a heads up on what I should be looking into when I have it apart.

After reading this thread here, apparently I should have a "spacer" because I have no A/C?
Any info or ideas would be awesome.
Oh and this is on my 90 Tsi AWD.

I need a new half shaft assy. for my car. I need it with the half shaft bracket. I was on rockauto and looking at the pic with product description and I didnt see a half shaft bracket. Can someone give me the item # for this? BTW front driverside if you didnt know.

The bracket itself is not available without bearings/seals.
The bracket with bearings and seals is: MB526981
The half-shaft itself is: MB620806

These part numbers are for a 95-96 AWD.

I'm in the process of extracting my broken bolts that hold that carrier for the cv shaft on the driver side. I know for a fact on my auto awd them bolts are threaded in the block. Left bolt through the a/c bracket. I unfortunately am doing this for my second time because i was to lazy to extract the right side bolt that was broke clean off in the block, an just threw one bolt in an called it a day now im outside in a foot of snow extracting both bolts! Anyway back on topic i know when i drove my car with that axle loose it whiped my seal where the shaft goes into my tranny an also my axle was also pushed out alittle. I was unable to move once i pulled over an stopped. Make sure none of this has happened an also don't cheap out on shit bolts is the moral to the story haha get hardened bolts as replacement!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back