The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Missed 2nd gear @ 7k rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM4me44

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2004
Medina, Ohio
I don't get on my car often in 1st gear because it is so very short, especially with the Fidanza flywheel. Anyhow, I did so....

I went in first gear to 7k by accident then I missed 2nd gear and it ended up in neutral, so I pressed the clutch back in and got it in 2nd. The car felt a tad weird after the incident (although it could be in my head). It felt better after I made a stop and headed home.

I hear a noise I believe just started under the front of the car, it sounds like it could have caused clutch chatter or the TOB to die. It doesn't do it all the time and when the car is sitting still you don't really hear it. I don't know what something like this could do.

I will be checking...

1. My plugs

2. My intercooler piping

What else should I check? How do i test for transmission, clutch, or for a bad TOB?

So you revved it out in first gear and then put it in neutral and let the engine wind down on its own and now it might drive funny and make a funny noise?

It sounds too anticlimactic of an event to cause any damage. In any case I'd do a compression test and check your timing marks.

this noise you are talking about does it sound like a rattle or what is it just when the car is sitting in nuetral at idle but if you push the clutch in it stops?

It sounds a little bit like a rattle. I usually hear it on decleration at 2-3k rpm. Minor vibrations in the pedal region. I have been having problems with my exhaust to close to my heat sheilds and frame. However, I just have this feeling that i messed up the TOB when I missed second and had trouble gettin it into gear.

why do you think its the intercooler piping or plugs?

Reving that high with that much boost I wanna make sure i didn't blow any pipeing off or blow out the gaps in my spark plugs. I figure i would check as a precaution.

I check all intercooler piping and spark plug gaps. Everything checked out ok. I didn't have any excess vibrations either.

I drove the car for 2 miles today and everything seemed ok, until i pulled in my drive way and thats when I noticed some noise coming from under the front of the car. It sounded a bit like clutch wobbling and it went away when i started rolling again. It don't did this once that I noticed during the drive.

I would think that if it was a problem with the clutch or tob, that it would do it more often then once during a drive.

Stock engines can easily handle a rev to 7,000. You should be fine. The only time you run into trouble is if you accidentally downshift instead of upshift (i.e. you try to go to fourth but hit second instead). Other than that, donniekak is correct: Under normal conditions the rev limiter keeps you from doing damage to the car.

Edit: The sounds that your talking about could be due to a flywheel whose bolts have backed out. However, you need to really overrev the engine for that to happen. When you press it the clutch, does the engine rattle?

if you missed 2nd, and bounced into nuetral, you probally had it floored thinking you were in second? if so, i really dont think it wouldof messed up the tob. if anything, the engine don't like to FREE REV, meaning that they don't like to be in neutral and screaming. that would cause a spun bearing if it was a good amount of time. i tend to thinnk that you are fine. when i first started to learn to drive these cars, i missed 2nd and neutral reved quite a few times with no ill effect. but it is never GOOD for an engine

Stock engines can easily handle a rev to 7,000. You should be fine. The only time you run into trouble is if you accidentally downshift instead of upshift (i.e. you try to go to fourth but hit second instead). Other than that, donniekak is correct: Under normal conditions the rev limiter keeps you from doing damage to the car.

Edit: The sounds that your talking about could be due to a flywheel whose bolts have backed out. However, you need to really overrev the engine for that to happen. When you press it the clutch, does the engine rattle?

Scary thought! LOL

The only thing that makes me feel better is that if in fact bolts were backed out, I would get a noise on a consistant basis. I drove to the bank and back and didn't notice any issues.

I think it just scared me a bit.

if you missed 2nd, and bounced into nuetral, you probally had it floored thinking you were in second? if so, i really dont think it wouldof messed up the tob. if anything, the engine don't like to FREE REV, meaning that they don't like to be in neutral and screaming. that would cause a spun bearing if it was a good amount of time. i tend to thinnk that you are fine. when i first started to learn to drive these cars, i missed 2nd and neutral reved quite a few times with no ill effect. but it is never GOOD for an engine

I think the rev limiter is at 7 or 7500 but it wasn't there for more then a second. I caught it quick.

It just didn't get into second and it made that good ol noise when i had to kindof make it go into gear.

check your turbo for shaftplay that over rev might of just finished it of and you wont hear it till about 25-3000 rpm (like you said) thats when it really starts spooling

The thing is, the stockers can be reved way higher than 7,000 with no problems (not that I'm recommending it). Same thing with turbos (they spin close to 100,000 rpms). My guess is it's all in your head, or there's a problem from a different cause that you're only noticing now that you're paranoid.

Yea they can handle high revs stock!! I rev my talon to 8000 rpm's all the time, I have even reved to 8500 rpm's once or twice. I dont recomend reving to 8500 on stock motor, but i have done it with no problems!!

Well, It wasn't the revs that cause the problem, it was the miss shift then slamming it into gear.

I found out today that something is horribly wrong and won't be able to get looked at till tuesday. When doing 60 or so on the high way i can feel the axels and front of the car vibrating like its gonna fall off. When stoped once and awhile I can head noise like somethings spinning in the tranny area.

Also, it feels like i have major power loss. It spoils up and holds boost fine but it doesnt translate into power if you catch my drift. It seems like somethings holding it back. To me it sounds like something is whobbling in the transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back