The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Mismatched tires.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I'm just looking to find out how screwed I may be after doing this. So I had to replace my clutch recently, and during the time my car was down, my rear passenger tire somehow went flat. So after the clutch replacement I had another tire I had in storage put on. I usually have 225/55/16's on and the replacement is a 205/55/16. I have noticed that the 205 looks shorter in overall height than my 225's. However I need to get new tires anyway and don't want to waste money getting a new 225 that'll end up being worn more when I can afford to get the rest. I have decided not to drive my car unless absolutely necessary, like tonight. My wife needs her car in the morning before I get off work, so I drove my car to work, 5-6 miles distance tops, and haven't gone over about 40mph. How much damage could I be looking at if tonight's drive, and the drive home in the morning are the only times I drive it with this one mismatched tire? And spyder is AWD which is why I'm asking. If it were still fwd, I would already know answers.

I'm no sort of authority on tires, but the bottom line is that you're putting stress on the entire structural and suspension systems. But I can't imagine how 40mph for 5-6 miles in your scenario would make much of a difference. Try and imagine the stress that would go into a car by someone driving 40 miles on the freeway with a spare on one wheel. Anyways this is the gist of what a AAA tow-truck driver told me the one time I put a spare on my Spyder.

It's not so much the suspension, but the awd components (rear diff, tcase, center diff and mostly, the viscous coupler).

The 205 is definitely shorter, 3.2% roughly in height and diameter. You will definitely put some heat into the VC when driving it at anything over parking lot speeds. Personally, I would limit driving as much as possible, it's hard to gauge the damage you're doing.

Quick and dirty way would be a VCE, but unless you have one or can sacrifice a spare VC, take out the t-case and D/S, youre kinda stuck. Continue at your own risk.

Does your car have a rear LSD?

What's a VCE? Eliminator to the VC? I do have LSD in the rear.

Here's another thought, since my mismatched tire is on the rear, would it do more harm to the rear diff, or the center diff?

Last edited:
If anything, out the odd you're in the front where it's an open diff so you won't be stressing the rear LSD if so equipped. I'm interested in hearing any proven data aboutthis myself though

Since I need new tires in a month or two, I went and got a used tire of the proper size with 50% tread left so I don't have to worry. Still curious though for future knowledge.

The standard rule of tolerance is .25" from tire diameter to tire diameter, since you don't know the exact brand and model (just the size) the only way you can really know if you potentially damaged something is to physically measure them around the outside of the tire.

Again, should be within 0.25" (which is what the majority of our members gap their spark plugs too LOL)

Some back story though, I did some research on those generic tire brand/sizes you provided above and IIRC the Uniroyals were ~ 24.9" and the Starfires were ~ 25.75". But, without knowing the exact models it's just me shotgunning the numbers. If they're accurate though, just hope the Uniroyal had 41psi of air in it and the Starfires were in the mid 20's so their diameters were a bit closer and nothing was damaged.

It's not so much the suspension, but the awd components (rear diff, tcase, center diff and mostly, the viscous coupler).

The 205 is definitely shorter, 3.2% roughly in height and diameter. You will definitely put some heat into the VC when driving it at anything over parking lot speeds. Personally, I would limit driving as much as possible, it's hard to gauge the damage you're doing.

Quick and dirty way would be a VCE, but unless you have one or can sacrifice a spare VC, take out the t-case and D/S, youre kinda stuck. Continue at your own risk.

Does your car have a rear LSD?
For give me if I'm incorrect but wouldn't 205 be the width? The 55 should be the height.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back