The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Misfire, tach not working or jumps around

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyTalonTsi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
Buffalo, New_York
Posting at work.

Well just when i got my car to run 100%, i ran into another problem.

Im not gonna jump the gun and say its crankwalk but it sure seems like it.

I was going to work sunday, when all of a sudden the car starting backfiring and then the tach just quit. CEL came on and then the tach started jumping around like crazy, it spun like a clock. I have never seen that before, it went past 9k. I wasn't even going 20mph.

I pulled up the code on dsmlink and its a random misfire, car runs okish till it reaches full temp then it runs on 2cylinders. I haven't driven it since sunday, i had to limp it home.

Im wanna pick up another ptu and i have a set of different coils. Having a busy schedule, i haven't been able to check for the problem.

Just fyi, back in September my car died and i had to replace a faulty crank sensor. Crank endplay was .007. A month later end play was at .0075. Not out of spec but close and seems like the thrust bearing is wearing quickly.

Its been since October since the last test.

Both tests were done using different dial indicators.

crankwalk??

That doesn't cause misfire does it??

Well im not really sure how the 2g work but id say its your Power Transistor.... You say you misfire, you run on two cylinders (most likely 1-3 or 2-4), and your tach is wacked out......
All things the the PT are partners with!!
or coil pack... but that doesnt run you tach, the reason why im guessing the PT

hope this helps you some,
good luck man!

Yeah, with crankwalk you can have misfires. Because the crank would be hitting the crank sensor.

Its just im familar with the misfires, my last 2g would misfire and run like crap, turned out to be a walker. Just the whole tach going crazy is new.

Yeah, with crankwalk you can have misfires. Because the crank would be hitting the crank sensor.

Its just im familar with the misfires, my last 2g would misfire and run like crap, turned out to be a walker. Just the whole tach going crazy is new.

If you are deathly afraid of crankwalk you can unplug the pedal switch so when you start up you don't have to push in the clutch and mash the thrust bearing. If the tach is doing the dance then the is an issue with the crank signal or primary ignition. Start by checking the CKP sensor and work your way up to the PTR and all wire conections. I had an issue like this where the CKP got water in the conector when I washed the engine, cleaned it and a glob of dielectric grease in it was the fix.

If you are deathly afraid of crankwalk you can unplug the pedal switch so when you start up you don't have to push in the clutch and mash the thrust bearing. If the tach is doing the dance then the is an issue with the crank signal or primary ignition. Start by checking the CKP sensor and work your way up to the PTR and all wire conections. I had an issue like this where the CKP got water in the conector when I washed the engine, cleaned it and a glob of dielectric grease in it was the fix.

Disabling the clutch safety switch was my first mod, before i even put the car on the road.

The crank sensor went bad in September, not from crank walk but just an old sensor. Replaced it with a new crank sensor from Mitsu.

And i doubt water reached the sensor, i havent washed my car in over a month, and its been rather dry weather wise just cold. I'll check that out when i get a chance though. Thanks.

+1 for power transistor,ive had that happen 3 different times and its been that every time.Your not walking bro dont jump to worst case scenarios:p

As soon as the car started misfiring, bucking and the rpms jumping around like the tac was on crack, i was hoping it would be the ignition module. I just have to get a known working one.

Why i jumped to crankwalk, was because this is my 2nd dsm where the car would backfire and sound like a wrx. My first being also a '95, after digging through it was crankwalk. Its just ive been here before with a 7bolt that misfired wasn't a minor issue. And no problem has been minor with this car since ive had it.

So would a faulty PTU cause the car to misfire after the motor was fully warm? Because it runs ok when its cold. But the tach hasn't worked since.

I would also throw a power transistor in there. When they go bad I thought they're affected by heat... Kinda sounds like your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back