The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Misfire, No power, Studdering, Pics and Vids!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretmelter

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2011
Accident, Maryland
My 1990 Talon Tsi started to buck on the highway yesturday. The tach then proceeded to go nuts and did not read the actual engine speed at all. Now there is no power at all, A clicking noise is coming from what seems to be the timing belt cover. All spark plugs were checked and getting great spark. But when I took #2 plug out it was very wet with dark liquid. Cleaned and put in different cylinder, same thing happend. Video is on the highway, 5th gear, and the other is in my driveway.

Also lots of white smoke is coming from exhaust and from the breather on the side of the valve cover. Zeroed out my SAFC and the clicking went away. But all other problems remain. Any help would be appriciated!!

Clicking noise

VIDEO0004.mp4 video by fretmelter513 - Photobucket

TACH

VIDEO0003.mp4 video by fretmelter513 - Photobucket

In this vid the vibrating an surging can be heard from inside the car
VIDEO0002.mp4 video by fretmelter513 - Photobucket

AND WHERE DOES THIS GO. It is on the side of the timing belt and in the corner. All other plugs like that are connected.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MODS: SAFC2, MAFT, evo 16g, FMIC

First thing I would do is a leak down test. The tach being inconsistent is new to me. It looks like thats the plug for the three vacuum solenoids that are above the brake master cylinder.

i have had 3 cars with tac isues and low power problems ALL of them were ignition modules i sugested that others check this,yours im 90% shure needs a new module not shure what the noise is sounds like a bad tensioner pully berring not shure if im hearing it correctly on my tiny speakers.if you do have a berring problem or any noise coming from the timing belt components fix that first thing a broken belt will mean replacing valves at the least! the only 4 pin grey seal plug in that area on mine is to the coil pack. if that is a 6 pin than the above coment is correct.what color are the wires?

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like a plug under the manifold look there I am almost positve thats where that plug goes mine did the same thing would go into boost without breaking up was doing a blt and behind and under the manifold was a plug similar to that one it came unplugged

I agree with the Ignition Control Module (Power Transistor Unit), mine had no spark in Cylinder 1 & 4 and this was due to the power transistor being bad. I'm having a similar issue still but mine is at all times my cylinder 2 & 3 aren't receiving spark from coil B so I'm going to replace that next and hopefully mine will be back to running.

Hey my friend I have a 99 GST Spyder and it always says misfire in cylinder 1 and 4 new plugs gaped 0.28 new coil packs, msd wires 8.5mm, do you honestly think the ignition control module needs replaced and if so where is it located? thanks

the ignition control module is located just to the left of the coils packs, it has a rather wide connector plugged into it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back