The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Misfire in cylinder 2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GEffect6

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2011
Alliance, Ohio
My car is misfiring in cylinder 2 any suggestions on what it could be?

Just rebuilt the top end the plugs are new and i just replaced the wires on the second spark plug

switch injectors with another cylinder and see if the misfire moves, if so its an injector

Pull the injector and look for cracks/grime on the injector. Sometimes it is easily noticeable.

Before you start moving your fuel injectors around, have you checked to see whether or not your spark is miss firing. It could still be a fault downstream from the spark plug up.

You mentioned that you changed out 1 spark plug wire, what else have you tested?

Also before you swap injectors around check and make sure that injector is plugged in all the way/getting a good connection (if you haven't already).

i have an issue also in cylinder 2, ive replaced injectors, fuel filter, checked timing belt for tensioner slip, checked coil, new spark plugs, wires. their was a little bit of oil on the bottom of the new spark plug when i pulled it out which suspects me to think it wasnt firing, i pulled the spark plug wire and it was sparking and the engine was still doing the same thing it was before which was running bad, i have a super slow acceleration with popping. what could it be?

I also had this same problem on my 2g. One day after about a minute of warming up the engine started misfiring and I had no choice but to drive it the rest of the short distance home. I knew it was cyl 2 misfire because i unpluged the injector and nothin changed. I checked the spark and was getting spark all and also checked that fuel was getting in there because the cylinder would be all wet as well as the spark plug. I was thinkin it might be bent valves on my new motor with only 3k. I then tried swapping the coil pack transistor with a spare one i had and TADA no more misfire.

I would start from the cheapest option.
plugs
Wires
Coil pack
then I would kind of know what I'm dealing with..

id inspect in this order

swap spark plug wires to see if its the problem (move the one from cyl 1 to 2 from the head and the coil pack)

if not swap spark plugs with another cylinder

if not try moving your injectors around

if not try borrowing some elses coil pack

also try a compression test you said the head is rebuilt maybe the valves arent seated right and it isnt buildling enough compression

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back