The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Misfire car running on 3 cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZDA1728

Proven Member
Dec 13, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys pretty frustrated here and need some opinions because my car was running perfectly and out of nowhere it started to misfire badly. Before this i also had a cel for injector circuit (cel41) that kept coming and going but the car drove fine. Anyways, I limped the car home and I unplugged each injector clip and cylinder 2 did not cause a misfire. Any thoughts guys? Car is a 92 tsi btw

. Anyways, I limped the car home and I unplugged each injector clip and cylinder 2 did not cause a misfire. Any thoughts guys? Car is a 92 tsi btw

I do not understand what you mean by this? I think you mean you mean the car was missing and pulling clips 1 3 and 4 made it worse and #2 clip when pulled the misfire stayed the same ?!?!?!? Im not sure what you mean. If you can re word or tell me if what i think you are trying to say is accurate someone might be able to help.

if i where you i would go to the junkyard and see if you can find another car just like yours and buy the coil packs and switch them to see if that's the problem. i got some at the junkyard for 8 bucks. It's worth a try and a good start

if i where you i would go to the junkyard and see if you can find another car just like yours and buy the coil packs and switch them to see if that's the problem. i got some at the junkyard for 8 bucks. It's worth a try and a good start

Swapping coil packs when he has had an injector circuit malfunction code recently? Also he said when he pulls INJECTOR clip 2 and only 2 the idle stays the same.

OP: Ring the wiring. Check the resistor box and test it. Make sure with the key on you have 12v to ground on both wires on inj 2. Ring wire back to ecu(check ecu pin out and service manual for resistor box testing, its very very easy).

Since you had a malfunction code that means a couple things are possible
1: Open wire from the resistor box to inj
2: Open wire(or possibly a short,unlikely) from ecu to the other inj wire
3: The worst case scenario: burnt transistor or open/shorted cap in the injector driver circuit in the ecu itself.

My bet? One of the wires is open and you need to trace it down. That or the clip is not making a good connection and you need a new inj clip.

Hey guys pretty frustrated here and need some opinions because my car was running perfectly and out of nowhere it started to misfire badly. Before this i also had a cel for injector circuit (cel41) that kept coming and going but the car drove fine. Anyways, I limped the car home and I unplugged each injector clip and cylinder 2 did not cause a misfire. Any thoughts guys? Car is a 92 tsi btw

Part of this sounds familiar. On my 1990 tsi, I bought a modified ecu a few years ago, and it would throw a code 41 (injector) and it wasn't intermittent. Every time I cleared the code it would throw another 41 within a minute or two.
Anyway, it didn't seem to have any effect on how the car ran! Like yours was.
I sent the ecu back to DSMchips (who I bought it from), he found a cracked trace in the injector circuit on the circuit board, repaired the trace, sent it back to me, and no more code 41.

A year or 2 before that, I had a bad intermittent misfire. But it seemed to affect 2 cylinders, not just 1. Everybody thought it was the coil pack. Turned out it was actually a lazy connector in the plug that attaches to the power transistor. I wasn't reading codes yet as I remember, don't know if that problem threw a code.

I don't know if it is possible to have a coil pack problem that affects just 1 cylinder. Maybe somebody else in here knows.
But you could have a problem inside the ecu like I did and maybe it has just gotten bad enough to make the car run bad. Or it could be any of the other things suggested above.

A coil pack going bad will effect 2 cylinders, or 4. But with the inj code i think you can rule that out. Start chasing wires bud.
I had an identical problem. Bad injector clips.

My problem was similar then yours, it end up being the injector resistor.

First, I got a crank sensor malfunction, then I got an injector malfunction, then I trace the problem to the injector resistor, I open the resistor and found out, at the back of the resistor there is a wire that connects from 1 half of the resistor to the other half, the wire was not making contact at one half of the resistor.
I connect the wire back and it came back to normal.

Check the injector resistor, open it up (unbolt it) and look inside of the housing, you will see the wire at the back of the resistor (inside the housing), just make sure it is making contact on both sides.

By the way, my bad injector was #3.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back