The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Misfire at higher rpm idle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcomsnow245

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2011
chicago, Illinois
Hey guys just a little confused to why when I let my car warm up on hotwire on my safc, that it idles at about 1500 and you can here an occasional misfire but when I switch it back over to karmen the idle goes back down to 700 with no misfire. Also when I don't shift right away out of 1st gear (when i'm giving it a little gas) it feels like fuel cut it's weird.

Well I changed the spark plugs and noting changed the idle is still terrible and missfires at idlle. How would I take the wires off as it's idling will I damage something?

I mean, what kind of juice are you getting to the plugs?

I was just going to suggest something simple like replacing the 18 year old ground wires with something thicker. And add ground wires to a couple of other things. Total cost would be about $30 at worst if you hit up walmart for 6 or 4 gauge copper wire and lugs and cut them yourself.

At the very least, it will help, and give you something to do while you wait for answers from the pros. :)

I know you're supposed to replace ignition wires like every few years. Can't imagine ground wires would fair any better, especially with all that corrosion they are subject to.

which ground wires because my battery ground is in very good condition and my lights don't dim.

I also have a ""misfire"" Im starting to think mine is from either a bad injector or more likely a boost/vacuum leak as my wideband jumps lean when it ""misfires"".. It does it pretty consistently at idle or if im revving at a light or when im decelerating it does it too.. But cruising and boosting it doesn't do it that i can notice.. My lights dim when blinkers are on and stuff so im going to add a few grounds and see if that helps any advice is much appreciated..

Sorry not trying to thread jack just need help also and figured id just add it hear and follow the thread..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back