The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Minor Overhaul Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Tijeras, New_Mexico
I just did compression on my "good" 6Bolt motor in my 97 GSX and it was 120 across the board. Not good but still not bad. It doesn't knock, tick, smoke as far as I know. But I figure maybe it would be a good idea to replace the rings and bearings..... However I don't want to do a full overhaul, I don't wanna yank the motor. I don't wanna bore over and use larger pistons.

So My question, whats peoples experience with the same situation motor, on just dropping oil pan, disconnecting the rods, pushing them th rough the top, replacing the rings, re honing the cylinders, and installing new oem or std size aftermarket bearings? Just to revive a lazy motor.

I've never actually had the chance to save an engine of a cancer like this because by the time I figure it out, its because motor go boom!

So I was thinking, Doing what I said above, 3g Lifters, New MLS Head Gasket, ARP's, ACL Bearings, Some kinda Piston Rings, New Timing Belt, Thermostat and other little things.

Is this good? Or should I just leave the damn thing alone and let it die. I have a spare motor that had before the lack of oil killed it, good compression.

well pull it do all the things do it once and right if your going to invest time and money, good list. its up to you with your goals for your car, pull the block out, the head comes off to place your pistons in. oem bearings are just fine.

I don't understand why I'd pull the block tho? Why does it need to be out of the car? Head comes off within 20 minutes. Oil pan comes off in a few more minutes after that. Unbolt the rod end caps and push the piston up through the top. Clean everything up, hone the cylinder walls, clean everything up again, put new rings on, put the pistons back in, new bearings, rod end caps back on. Put the oil pan back on, new head gasket, head back on with ARP's this time. New Timing Belt, put all the shit back on and thats it. No need to pull the motor unless I'm doing a full complete overhaul.

thats what I'm thinking too. Tryin to see if anyone else agrees that it would be a good idea to attempt to revive the motor instead of letting her drag on until one day she dies or I get soo pissed cause I don't have the money to build a motor.

I plan on it, but I just wanna hear people's opinions on doing such a minor overhaul to the engine in attempt to revive it. To see what people's results were in my situation.

I'm sure you could just leave it in but your better off just pulling it. No sense in doing something unless you do it properly

A friend and I just did exactly what you're describing to his 98 talon earlier this summer right before he sold it. He just wanted to do a mini overhaul since he was planning on selling it anyway. I was with on the car's maiden drive after that mini build and it was like night and day from how it was before. He sold it to a guy that we know and it's been driven probably 5000 miles since he bought it and I haven't heard of any problems at all. The only thing is that we had the cylinder head completely redone at the same time and assembled by a shop, so if you didn't do that it would probably yeild slightly different results, but I can't imagine it being that drastically different.

I've done this. As long as your PTW and bearing clearances are good you can get away with it. Check the crank and make sure it's perfect. The most important thing is making sure you keep everything clean, which is a daunting task since you HAVE to hone the cylinders for new rings and this will send ultra fine metal particulates everywhere. That being said, i would highly recommend just pulling the motor.

I've done what you're contemplating several times. Things to look for are marks on the crank. Drag a penny across the rod journals. If it leave a mark, you'll need to pull the crank to have it polished.

As mentioned above, cleaning is a b i t c h. Do a search for BogusSVO, he has a post on how to clean a block properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back