The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Minor issues driving me nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainapex

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2012
New Brunswick, New_Jersey
Hey guys I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but it's pretty much the ONLY place I can post here goes:

I own a 91 eagle talon tsi awd 5 speed. It has 99000 miles.

Here are the symptoms:

Partial throttle going into boost, it hesitates until it reaches max boost or max throttle, where it straightens out. It doesn't feel that it's pulling as hard as it should be, but the hesitation is no longer "noticeable"

A bit of history:

I bought the car with a lousy idle and a weird sounding bov (sounded like the mating call of a whale). I bought and replaced the maf, solving the erratic idle. However my idle stays at 1000-1100 rpm with sometimes dipping and staying at 900-950 rpm. I then concluded that my bov is faulty and could be an underlying reason to the high idle. There are no other vacuum leaks. I have since bought a new bov along with a fmic, however I lack a j pipe so that's on hold for now.

Another issue I was having was the blue smoke of terror during idle. It didn't happen all the time. The previous owner blamed it on a clogged cat that filled with oil when the previous turbo failed. I was also burning oil too. I figured I'd go with the cheapest repair and move up. I replaced the PCv valve. The smoking stopped. The oil burning stopped.

Things I've done to rule out some things:
My compression test came to a solid 150 all across, which is a 9% variance from normal levels. I checked for shaft play and found none. I replaced the park plugs a month ago (might need to do it again since I had oil spilling into the motor from the faulty Pcv valve and leaking VC gaskets). I am currently checking my couplers to see if there is some boost leak. I've checked before found none but I'm running out of things to do.

My mods:
Big 16g turbo
Shitty homemade boost controller
Modified o2 housing with a dump tube
Cometic head gasket
Arp head studs
New NGk sp
New Pcv valve
New vc gasket
New o2 sensor

Please help. I can't drive the car like this because it's aggravating nd I feel like it would be for the car eventually.

hey man blue smoke is always oil and white smoke is always water now it could be you have a boost leak i would check that because if your burning oil and the turbo doesnt spool at full pressure then there could be a leak i would check to see if there is any vaccum leaks or broken studs at that point hope i could help

Could a faulty bov do all that too? my new plugs also had a white color to it as well oily residue on the threads. I checked em.when i.did the compression test n changed the.vc gasket

The reason i say bov ### i was told this may very well be the issue. I wish i could unplug it n.test t while driving n not woery about messin up my car

Mbc was the fault. Fixed my idle too. Now im having a small leak from what it looks to be the turbo oil line. Juat came.outta nowhere ughhh. Installing a catchcan this weekend to eliminate blue smoke during boost. Im assuming its blow by since the turbo feels great, no shaft play n my compression #s r 150 across. Is it possible for the turbo to burn oil with no shaft play?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back