The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Military Guys with Families

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
So for the 50th time I'm thinking about joining again, but I would like to hear some EXPERIENCED military guys chime in, not "my cousin this and my friend that" Please don't throw in your opinions if you don't have any military experience.

So here's my situation.

1. I'm 23 years old.
2. I've been married for 4 years this month, and dating for over 6.
3. I have a daughter that just turned 1 last month.
4. I bought a house last year, that I could sell today and make a profit on.
5. I make ok money (~3k/mo) but work 55-60hrs a week and have little free time for my family.
6. My job has no future (car sales)
7. I want to go to college, and have no time for it right now with the hours that I'm working.
8. I want to get a CAREER, and not a dead-end job.

I almost joined earlier this year when I got laid off, even went and took my asvabs (scored an 82), but I backed out after that, because I didn't want to leave my family for the initial boot camp/tech school. Now I hardly see my family anyway since I work so much, and I have a job with no future. I figure since I'm not seeing them hardly at all as-is now that I might-as-well just join the air force and get the time-apart done and over with.

I would probably join for 6 years so that I go in as an E3. My question is to those in the military with families. I have no doubt that my wife and I could maintain our relationship, but I still don't want to be away all the time. I've heard military guys say that they work regular 8hr days and after that they're free.

I also know that "the air force has the shortest deployments", can anyone confirm this? I'm willing to take an initial hit of being apart from my family if it means that we'll be better off in the long run. Like I said, staying here I'm just getting older and going nowhere, spending all my time at work. I'm also ok with deployments if they're not crazy long.

So my questions are these:

1. Enlisted guys (air force pref), how much free time do you have and how long are your average deployments?

2. I've heard it said that after you're out you can go to college and get paid for it. Is the pay sufficient enough (~2k/mo) to provide for a family?

3. I know as an E3 I'll get a base pay of $1705/mo (as shown here), plus what appears to be an extra $323 for "Substinance" (food?) What I don't see is if I'll get anymore money for having dependents.

Thanks for the long read and I'm looking forward to hearing answers/advice.

The military life is not for everyone. Having to be away from those you love is and always will be the hardest part. I have been married for 12 years and have 3 kids. Just being away from them for your average FTX (Field Training Exercise) is a pita. You get used to it tho... its all part of the lifestyle.

I am in the Army, and our deployments last 12 months. Now we have 2 EX-Air Force guys in my company and they both deployed for 6 months while in the AF.

You have what is called the GI bill. It will pay for collage after you leave. You will have the option of converting it into the post 911 GI bill. It will pay for schooling/books and, provided you spend time in a real classroom, you will receive E5 BAH. (depends on the cost of living where your located)

You do not receive extra money for dependants. You do however get BAH and BAS. BAS is Basic Allowance for Substance and, BAH is Basic Allowance for Housing. Now if you choose to live on post you will instead get a home provided to you for you and your family to live in. You will then "pay" your entire BAH to the company that owns the on post housing. It will be taken out of your pay without you ever seeing it.

You will gain full medical coverage for you and your dependants tho. That is a nice thing to have with kids.

Once again the military lifestyle is NOT for everyone. The divorce rate in the Army is something like 80%... Its not only hard on the soldier but the spouses as well. Its a big decision so don't rush into it. If its for you and your family then you will love it. If its not, then just hold on until you get out. You don't have to stay in unless you choose to!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Navy brat and a Navy wife. Like ArmyGSX said, it is NOT for everyone. You REALLY need to sit down with your wife and really talk with her about it also. Deployments suck. My husband is on his first 6 month deployment since we've been together and I'm telling you, it's a wonder I haven't gone effing crazy. The one thing I hear from a lot of military guys (and girls) is they miss their kids growing up. I remember my dad like almost never being home. That sucked. The one thing I love about being a military family are the medical benefits. I seriously haven't had to pay ANYTHING for my son's doctor's visits. Not a cent. It's lovely. But you really need to think about it. Talk with your wife. I don't know anything specific about the airforce (deployments and such), but every branch has it's quirks. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:

Ive been in the Air Force for over 3 years and am currently deployed. My career fields deployments were only 4 months but they are all getting extended to 6 month tours after the 1st of the year. Now I do know guys ( security forces) that do upwards of 12 months at a time so dont put out that you COULD get a long tour deployment. Also they could depend on your career field you choose. Like me, Im a C-5, KC10 and C17 mechanic and I deploy to fix airplanes. Your BAH (housing allowance) pretty much depends on the area your stationed and marital status, which for you would be more then me. haha. I make close to 1200$ in BAH a month living in norther cali.
As far as extra time off work.. Its pretty much like a "normal" job. Where I work, I work a 3pm to 11pm shift but nothing is guarenteed. I have 2 days off a week, but keep in mind you're ALWAYS on call. Some other career fields the hours may vary. Such as, desk jobs pretty much work a 8 to 4 deal and thats it. Others like maintenance and SF pretty much get shafted. We are normally working aprx 11-12 hour days on most occasions. We also have to work through holidays (they try to comp us days like that) doesnt always work out though.
School is paid for while you're active duty. And I believe the GI Bill is up 80k. What that does is give you money to pay for schooling after you're out of the military. You can also use it for dependants or you're wife if thats what you want. I believe the Post 911 Bill pays for you're school straight up. Pays for you're books up to a certain amount and a little more on top. I dont really know a lot about the Post 911 bill you may have to look it up.
6 years you can go in as an A1c or E3 or if you have any/enough college credits you can come in as an E3 as a 4 year enlistee. Im sure I missed some info but if you have any more questions feel free to ask..

I'm active duty Airforce, and I have a family (my daughter is 18 months old). I've been in since June 2007, and came in on the 6 year enlistee, automatic E-3 after 22 weeks or upon gratuating techschool. I have taken 2 college classes. I have deployed twice, currently in the last 2.5 months of the 2nd deployment. My first deployment was 9 months which isn't regular for the Airforce, but that was an In-Lieu of deployment with an Army unit. I enjoy my military lifestyle. When not deployed 8 hour shifts, weekends off. Unless you work weekend shift, then you get your days off during the week. As far as pay when married with dependants, you get your base pay+cola+bah+bas. Bah and Cola all depend on your location. For instance my pay is ($2094.00 E4 basepay with 3+ years TIS, $323.87 Bas, $1174 BAH thats without dependants because i'm MIL to MIL, and $441 Cola). If you don't want to deploy alot stay away from these careerfields (Vehicle Ops, Security Forces, and any Special Ops job). If you choose an aircrew job you'll be on a 3 month on 3 month off deployment scheldule, unless the new 6 month deployment rate applys to them. Also if you do decide to join and make it thru the fairly easy BMT and Techschool, look into an overseas assignment (and Alaska is consider overseas). I've been there since 2007 and won't leave until 2012 only because I extended my DEROS, and you get the Overseas pay while not actually being Overseas. Plus Alaska is an amazing place, if you get stationed there you won't regret it.

Im a 101st soldier and im about to head to afganistan in feb for the second time. I have a 4 year old daughter and ive been around her for maybe 2 years of her life.. been to korea for a year and like i said deployments. Im really thankful to have my wife who will deal with me being gone but doesnt like it. she respects my decisions and my jobs.. its rough saying good bye all the time.. but if your family stands behind you hundred percent then its the best feeling in the world to come home too.. you will always have your highs and lows even if your home becuz your family might not even like where your stationed.. but in the long run it shows how strong your family is and you learn alot. good luck man.

Well as stated above it's not easy being a military family. It takes a very strong woman to be a spouse and cover the void (for the kids) if you deploy or go TDY. At the sametime it will prob be the best move you make. The job might not pay the greatest but job security and benefits are somethings people seem to over look. I been in 10yrs in the USAF and dont regret a day. Sure theres good and bad days, sometimes 12-14 hour shifts (depending on your job) but the Airforce has done a good job about looking out for the families. On the flip side i might only work a couple hours and then go home. Some may have neg things to say, but there's always 2 sides to every story. The only way to know is to just go for it and experiance it, only good things can come bud. Good luck to you and your family. Feel free to ask any more questions!

It's a great thing that you're taking such consideration in joining. There are a lot of rough times for us and often our families too, but I feel more confident that my wife is taken care of if something should happen to her or me. The military is big on family. There are lots of groups that help sort of bind military and family closer ie. Fleet/Family Support Centers, and like ktgurl said, i haven't had to pay for any of my family's medical bills out of pocket.

I don't really know a lot about other branches deployments, but I can tell you that in the Navy when you choose your rate, you choose your fate; meaning that where you go to in the fleet after your basic training and "A" school, depends on what career path you choose. If you're a CTN, You have a low probability of even being deployed, and would most likely get shore-stationed. if you're going to be a BM, you're more than definitely going on a ship that deploys once every couple years for 6-9 months. If you work in aviation, you'll possibly going to get stationed with a squadron on land, and only leave to do deployments with an attached command, or you'll be ship company and go out whenever they do.

I think your best bet would be to find out what rate/MOS you qualify for, and speak directly to people who work in those fields. Although there are many good career paths, you can't bank on all of them to be exactly what you think it is. I graduated high school when I was 16 years old with honors and was going to go to MIT, but wanted to do my time in service first. I scored a 96 on the ASVAB, and my recruiter said "Hey, you like computers right?! You should be an IT (Information systems technician)! They work on computers and do all that hacking and programming stuff!" Well, here I am now. I made the mistake of enlisting for five years for a small $8000 bonus as well. I'm an information systems technician for combat systems main communications onboard a nuclear aircraft carrier. What does that mean? It means I patch communication circuits like telephone operators did back in the old days, and draft formal messages on notepad.exe. My ship has been deployed for about 6 months now, but we spend about 50% of the year at sea doing drills anyways. Like I said, your best bet is to talk to someone who is in a rate/MOS you're interested in, and get real insight from them. Talk to them on the forums at military.com, or find some in your area you could get in contact with. I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in for 3 years, I am in the army, Combat engineer, I have a family with a 14 month old daughter, i am only an e-4 currently, i go to mine detection dog school, if i make it through the course, i will graduate in like april, and i could possibly be sent right back to afghanistan, at any time. things that i say to consider is basic training 9 weeks no contact with the fam. maybe a few times a week. AIT depending on what you go in for 4 weeks to a year. anything past 6 weeks of ait you are gonna have a pretty easy time. then you go to your unit, you could go to a shitty unit like my first one and be stuck there from 530 am to 6pm 5 days a week, then there is deployments again depending on your MOS but if you are a combat MOS like me then 12 month deployments for sure, and afghanistan is not a cake walk for everyone.

my personal experience is i love the ARMY will probably retire, it is way too easy and garunteed paycheck twice a month,
but this is a volunteer job so take it into account when you make your decision.
and if you do start running and doing pull ups and push ups and sit ups.

I'm an EX USAF member! Spent 8yrs in it. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!! yes yOU WIll be away from family!! If you can tough that out then you're set! You will deploy but that depends on what AEF you're put in, or if times are tough (need money) then you can alway volenteer to deploy (when deployed you DO GET EXTRA PAY)

-MGIB pays around 2k if you're a full time student

-if you got dependents, you qualify for military housing (look at my house on youtube "search Offutt AFB housing)

I've been in the Air Force for 7 years. Its ok. It's just not for me. I'm ready to live in one place and settle in somewhere.

As far as time away from family, it really depends on what job your going into. Most maintenance on the flightline are starting to deploy more often now for 6 months at a time. The Air Force had to downsize again recently and if you ask me there isn't enough people to employ the AEF concept anymore. My last station in Kansas we deployed every 4 months for 4 months. Some people going twice a year and pretty much everyone going once a year. Not including TDY's. The base I'm at now goes 6 months out of every year. Pretty much 6 on, 6 off. Again you can add TDY's to the family seperation count.

If you get a job that deploys all the time I think its the worst thing you can do to a family. The deployments and TDY's are not the only thing keeping you away from them either. Maintenance guys on the flightline regularly work long hours and almost always have a weekend duty rotation. Again you could get lucky and get a slow base. Also consider what getting stationed overseas would do to your family.

I also grew up in a military family and my dad deployed and TDYed all the time. I don't know him as well as I would have if he was at home more.

What does TDY stand for? And my wife and I would love to move to another country (Germany or some shizz), but moving often would suck. Also my daughter just turned 1, so if I get this 6 years over with then I'd be able to spend the rest of my days with her, at least that's what the current plan is.

A TDY is a temporary duty somewhere other then where you are stationed. Overseas or another state. They usually arent as long as deployments, anywhere from a few days to a couple months. Like if you were to go to another base to help out in an excercise.

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I served 6 years in the Air Force (1C271, 2000-2006). Do no bank on working 8 hour days unless you have a shitty job like services, admin, or the like. SF, flight line, etc... pull more hours and deploy more.

Finding time for school is up to you, and after you've got your 5 level.

Deployments depend on your AFSC, I was gone often and for extended periods of time. Most AF deployments are in the 90-180 day range however.

As for pay, you'll get base pay + BAH (if you live off base, based on single or +1 dependent) and BAS (food). The BAH is based on the area you live in.

For the money after you get out, that's your G.I bill. Put the max in while you're in. Once you get out you get tuition, etc... Look up the info on VA website.

Anyhow, I went in as an E-3 (you won't get E-3 right off the bat BTW, you'll get E-3 20 weeks into your enlistment if I remember right (I went in as and E-3 thanks to college credits, and made E-4 in 2 years and E-5 @ just under 3), had a family (Wife and a son born while I was still in tech school), living off junior enlisted pay is hard, so take advantage of all the benefits available to you (if your Wife works like mine did it helps a ton).

Anyhow, don't join hoping to just get college credits and never deploy and work 8 hour days, those people pissed me off the most with their complaining and whining. It's the Military, not some 8-5 job... They own you, and will send you were the hell they want or need you. Think it through, and good luck.

Best job Ive ever had. Too damn easy. Im an E-4 and Ive been in for just short of 2 years. Love everything about the military. Any questions just look me up on fb. Joshua Michael Kaupa.

What job were you looking at doing in the USAF and I'll tell you how much free time you'll get. I've been in for 7 years now, I'm a disgruntled flight line crew chief and spend way to much time at work. I have a pretty good idea of what jobs work harder than others. Also, since you already have a family, make sure they're okay with you being away, everyone deploys in the USAF nowadays, it'll happen sooner or later.

I know this is a little old but I guess I'll add in my little rant about the military.

I joined the AF in may 2008. Haven't regretted it. I am in the Intelligence career field (1N051, and I do regret that, LOL). I'll just break down deployments for my career field and then education and then intel careers after the military.

DEPLOYMENTS: The Intel career field is currently on a 1:1 ratio. That means there is a possibility for you to spend six months at home, then six months deployed. Does not mean it will happen, but it can. I am deployed right now, and I was already told I will be leaving six months after I get home. It sucks balls. And I have a 9 month old son that I miss like hell. That is the only reason it sucks for me. So, other than not seeing family, deployments are not bad.

You can get deployed to do quite a few jobs when you're in Intel. You can be deployed to a squadron where you are working with aircrew, giving them briefs. You can deploy to work with detainees, this is where you get to interrogate the people we have arrested in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can get deployed with an Army unit, you'll be out there with them kicking down doors. And there are many other types of deployments.

The thing that is good about being in intel is that you can not be deployed to fill a special position, like watching third country nationals all day while they are working on our bases.

So overall: Deployments aren't bad.

EDUCATION: The military is awesome about the education. They have the GI Bill which you pay into, and you get a shit ton of money for schooling later on. The other good thing about the GI Bill is the fact that you can transfer it over to your family, so you can get your wife's or child's education covered by the GI Bill. Also, after you separate from the military it will continue to pay you BAH for up to three years as long as you are attending school. So that's pretty sweet.

Then you have tuition assistance. Tuition assistance covers up to 4500 a year in schooling. This does not get pulled out of your GI Bill. So it's basically free money to educate you. Pretty awesome.

Then you have other education programs. I am going applying for the AECP. AECP stands for Airman Education Commissioning Program. You complete prerequisites for the program and apply for it. It does have specific fields you can go into though so it's somewhat limited. If they accept you then you get to go to school full time for up to three years. They will administratively attach you to the ROTC unit at the school you are attending so you will remain attached to the AF. You're not separated from the AF, so the time still counts as Time in Service, so it's still getting you closer to retirement. Then in addition to just paying for the schooling, they pay you E-5 pay + BAS + BAH. So basically, you're getting payed decently to go to school full time. You do not work, you just go to school. Once again, pretty ####in sweet. Oh yeah, and you commission when you complete the program, so now you are an officer making pretty good money.

The AF pushes education like crazy. They want you to go to school, because then you become more valuable to them.

CAREER: Intel has some pretty good options outside the military. You have all these government agencies that will pay you out the ass for the experience you have and the security clearance you have. Take for example NGA, or the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. They deal with imagery, maps, and shit like that. I personally know someone that was a E-5 in the military, separated, got picked up by NGA and doubled what he made.

So there are career opportunities out there after the AF.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back